[kickstarter] Kickstarter cost me a house

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

paulbaxter

[kickstarter] Kickstarter cost me a house

Post by paulbaxter »

Odd story about the pitfalls of the game development business.
http://qz.com/94925/this-man-lost-his-h ... uccessful/" target="_blank
No sig, must scream, etc.
Holman

Re: [kickstarter] Kickstarter cost me a house

Post by Holman »

I am sympathetic, but it sounds like inexperience with international manufacturing and marketing is really what cost him a house.

I still hope for a happy ending, but I suspect that the post-mortem on Kickstarter Up Front will be as dark as this one.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote:I am sympathetic, but it sounds like inexperience with international manufacturing and marketing is really what cost him a house.
I'd say he knew just enough to be dangerous. He tried to game things rather than either checking with someone who had done it before or going through normal channels (drop shipping, etc). Simply put, he lost the "save a bunch of money on shipping/distribution" gamble.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I went into that article prepared to be more sympathetic towards the guy. But honestly, I don't find him to be all that sympathetic of a character after reading it.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

He also doesn't seem to have learned any lessons from the experience. It's hard to tell because the article is badly written/edited.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The sad thing is that there are still people that haven't gotten their copy of the game. And I have my copy and haven't played it since I got it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:I went into that article prepared to be more sympathetic towards the guy. But honestly, I don't find him to be all that sympathetic of a character after reading it.
This.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yeah, not so sympathetic. Sounds like poor planning. He also lost a house he didn't use in a country he didn't live. A little different than if I lost my residence... That KS was poorly managed.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Should have been titled "Bad business decisions cost me a house" but that's much less attention grabbing.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yep, I gave up trying to get overseas manufacturing for my game. It's just too much of a nightmare unless you've got someone you directly know and is actually in China to check on quality control.

Printing can be done cheaply enough in the US, sure not as dirt cheap as China, but you get none of the headache and quality control issues.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I also dont feel sorry for the backers. They knew the risks. Its an investment on something thats not created yet. Sometimes they fall through.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

With all the KS projects I have funneled money into the last two months, I think I could almost write this article from the BACKER perspective of losing a house... :lol: