Pathfinder Card Game!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Pathfinder Card Game!

Post by coopasonic »

For the first time in like 3 adventure packs I managed to lose a scenario. The next to last in AP5 has 3 villains and locations that are a bitch to close for my characters so I didn't really do any temp closing meaning I had to pretty much beat all the villains twice. I need to move Amiri up in the turn order as it came down to the last blessing and Kyra had to defeat the last villain in a "Can't play spells" location... and she didn't have her good melee weapon. d6+3 + d8+1 vs Combat 25. I had a few tricks left (added a d8 and a d12 and maybe another d6) but I ended up with a 23 in the end.

As often as that last villain goes down to like a 50, I was actually kind of glad to see I could lose.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I lost the same scenario again. I wasn't even CLOSE this time. 3 (of 6) locations open and 3 villains still in the wild when I ran out of time. I managed to lose to a villain with all locations open which cost 5 on the blessings deck, then my holy candle was only good for 1. Stupid game.

I also only got one upgrade in the game also and not even a particularly good upgrade, luckstone -> greater luckstone. Woo!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mike Selinker on what's coming:
http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lg ... nture-Card

Skulls & Shackles is off to the printer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:I lost the same scenario again. I wasn't even CLOSE this time. 3 (of 6) locations open and 3 villains still in the wild when I ran out of time. I managed to lose to a villain with all locations open which cost 5 on the blessings deck, then my holy candle was only good for 1. Stupid game.

I also only got one upgrade in the game also and not even a particularly good upgrade, luckstone -> greater luckstone. Woo!
I think that has been one of the two or three toughest scenarios to beat. I really dug it. It takes a lot of thought and planning and luck and more so with less characters. Some of those locations are a total bitch, like the bury you hand to close this location and the only one card and knowing that you pretty much have to face every villian twice and possibly three times or more. Oi... Lots of fun. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I went to free RPG day today and was surprised to see amongst the goodies a character pack for the next set. It was a goblin with a parrot familiar. I'll post details when I get home.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:I went to free RPG day today and was surprised to see amongst the goodies a character pack for the next set. It was a goblin with a parrot familiar. I'll post details when I get home.
Man, Chicago traffic always sucks doesn't it....... :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Pretty polly wants a cracker!

They had info about the character at Origins just to "look at." It was pretty cool.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That traffic was BRUTAL!

OK, the new character, name is Ranzak, and he's a Male Goblin Raider. High dex and con, with Disable, Stealth, Fortitude and Survival skills. Starting hand size is 7. Special abilities, he can evade a bane if there is another character at his location, however, that character has to encounter it. Adds 1D4 to all boon acquisition rolls. And when he acquires a boon, he has a 50/50 chance to be able to explore again. His two upgrade classes are Wrecker and Kleptomaniac.

He's depicted on his card as a goblin pirate with a parrot about as big as he is on his shoulder. Interesting things to note, they make mention of "Plunder" cards on his card, so it sounds like there will be a new type of card showing up. It also says that he's a scavenger, so all other characters create their decks first, and he has to make do with what's left over.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Finished Adventure Deck 4 (Lair of the Stone Giants?) with my kids last week. We're apparently getting pretty good, as I don't think we failed or had to repeat any of the scenarios in this deck.

I know they're still enjoying it so I'll probably go ahead and order the last two decks just so we get the complete experience. I'm definitely getting a bit burned out on it, though.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Boudreaux wrote:I know they're still enjoying it so I'll probably go ahead and order the last two decks just so we get the complete experience. I'm definitely getting a bit burned out on it, though.
Yeah, I have been having second thoughts on the next set. It's still my go to solo game, but it doesn't have the joy it once did. I am hoping the new setting will revive the joy and they have been getting better at creating unusual scenarios.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Boudreaux wrote:Finished Adventure Deck 4 (Lair of the Stone Giants?) with my kids last week. We're apparently getting pretty good, as I don't think we failed or had to repeat any of the scenarios in this deck.

I know they're still enjoying it so I'll probably go ahead and order the last two decks just so we get the complete experience. I'm definitely getting a bit burned out on it, though.
Deck 5 has one or two serious challenges and a lot of easy stuff. Deck 6 will depend a lot on if you are properly prepared.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm so behind on this. I have the base set and first two adventure packs, but haven't even gotten into the first one. I like the mechanics, but I could definitely see them getting stale by adventure pack 6.

I'm curious to see if they change up the mechanics any for the second season. Of course, I'd feel pretty silly buying into season 2 with as little as I've actually played season 1...
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaz wrote:I'm curious to see if they change up the mechanics any for the second season. Of course, I'd feel pretty silly buying into season 2 with as little as I've actually played season 1...
From what I've read, the changes are minor - essentially it's the same game with new flavor. The big addition seems to be some type of ship card mechanic which I think is a card that's not in your deck but attached to your character, providing some type of bonus.

We just started the second deck...so clearly we're not in the group of people that are ripping through the content. I'm not bored with it yet, but I don't think I'll buy the new campaign either. At the rate we're going, it will be 2015 before we finish this one.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Smoove_B wrote:
Chaz wrote:I'm curious to see if they change up the mechanics any for the second season. Of course, I'd feel pretty silly buying into season 2 with as little as I've actually played season 1...
From what I've read, the changes are minor - essentially it's the same game with new flavor. The big addition seems to be some type of ship card mechanic which I think is a card that's not in your deck but attached to your character, providing some type of bonus.

We just started the second deck...so clearly we're not in the group of people that are ripping through the content. I'm not bored with it yet, but I don't think I'll buy the new campaign either. At the rate we're going, it will be 2015 before we finish this one.
Yeah, I'm not 100% certain this episodic thing will necessarily work out for them. It'll definitely bring in a constant stream of purchases from the dedicated players, but I bet that there are a lot of us in the "haven't finished the first set, so probably passing on everything else until I catch up" camp.

Could be that the first group's revenue is enough to keep things running though, and starting a second standalone season creates a second entry point for new players, so that's good for them. They're also saving by designing and printing the entire set up front and then releasing periodically, plus they're not really developing new mechanics, so the development/printing costs are probably pretty reasonable.

But still, I'm done buying until I actually get caught up.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaz wrote:Yeah, I'm not 100% certain this episodic thing will necessarily work out for them. It'll definitely bring in a constant stream of purchases from the dedicated players, but I bet that there are a lot of us in the "haven't finished the first set, so probably passing on everything else until I catch up" camp.
I'm going to a local gaming convention in a few days and I'll certainly poke around. However, it's a boardgaming convention and of the hundreds of games that are being run this isn't listed. Seriously. What I've learend from visiting some mom and pop stores and attending these types of events is that there seems to be a significant group of people that plays a single game...maybe two. People like me that have 30 or so games in their closet and are always bouncing around each month between miniatures, card games, dice games, etc... are rare.

So I guess if there's a core group of players that are ONLY playing this game, then the subscription model probably works well for Paizo.
But still, I'm done buying until I actually get caught up.
Not just that, I'm actually getting more burned out on the 1st edition errors/misprints/clarifications that gum up the fun. Not necessarily Paizo, but for all my gaming in general. I've severely cut back on new games that I purchase. As much as I want to be part of the next big thing, I'm tired of waiting for FAQs or getting my buddy to reprint cards or whatever.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Oh, I've long since learned that board gaming is now like video gaming where it's kind of a sucker bet to get in on the first edition. These days, I'm usually happier waiting for a second printing for them to fix bugs and things. It also smooths out expansions. I've had a few games now where the printing in the first edition wound up being different than the second edition, and the expansions were usually based on second editions. If you've got a first edition copy, oops, sorry, but you can get this compatibility kit for $10 shipping to fix it right up!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I almost ordered Deck 5 yesterday...but I backed out. I can't bring myself to sink another $30+ into a game that I'm pretty much done with for the time being. The problem for me is that for a game that tries to mimic a party-based RPG, we're never together. Most scenarios have us splitting up to cover more ground to corner the villain more effectively. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of benefit to being in the same place together. More often than not, it's a hindrance due to all of the barrier and monster cards that affect "all characters at this location". Ultimately, there's a formula for success and every scenario ends up feeling the same.

I think I'll try to get my kids interested in a campaign in Mice & Mystics or Descent 2ed instead. For them the exciting part of Pathfinder ACG is finding all the loot cards during adventures. They love finding new weapons, items, armor, etc. to play around with, and Pathfinder does a great job of scratching that itch. M&M and Descent don't have quite the same amount of stuff to find, but there is some character progression and new powers and items, and I know they've played and enjoyed those games before. The variety and richness of the scenarios is definitely much better.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm going to a local gaming convention in a few days and I'll certainly poke around. However, it's a boardgaming convention and of the hundreds of games that are being run this isn't listed. Seriously. What I've learend from visiting some mom and pop stores and attending these types of events is that there seems to be a significant group of people that plays a single game...maybe two. People like me that have 30 or so games in their closet and are always bouncing around each month between miniatures, card games, dice games, etc... are rare.
I don't find group of gamers with 30 board games in their individual closets to be rare at all. I think the most populated group of board gamers (in public) are the "It's new and shiny" board gamers followed by the "it's a game and I want to be social while playing board game" board gamers, and lastly come the the "I love this game and I will go great lengths to play it" board gamers... Though M&P shops and game conventions to bring them out in droves. Unless its campaign role playing, you don't see too many "Settlers of Catan" type of groups while there are tons "gaming groups" that just break out dozens of board games and people play pot pouri and those gatherings can get fairly large.

On task, after we wrap up our 6 player game of the level 6 deck, I'm not sure how eager I will be to jump on round two. I had fun but the dynamic feels like it's been explored at this point and with co-op board games that's really all you can expect. Explore dynamic until you're distracted by something newer.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Watch it Played previews Skull and Shackles, the new Pathfinder card game.

New additions:

Many of the monsters/villains will be ships, and will require different types of checks to defeat.
Plunder: This a variable type of boon reward.
Ships: Players can own their own ships, which remain in play, and can grant bonuses, hold plunder, and be damaged. I’m betting several of the new classes will focus on ships. The ships also are ranked into 8 classes.
Guns: These can be pretty powerful, but sometimes misfire, which forces you to shuffle the gun back into your deck.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Is the basic gameplay mechanic still "dig the villain out of the location decks, close the other locations, kill the villain"?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Any enhancements to how players work together?

To me, there weren't enough cards and abilities that promoted teamwork for my group to stay interested.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Obsidian Entertainment just posted a news release on Facebook that they have acquired the Pathfinder license from Paizo.

Their first release? A tablet based version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

:pop:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's hoping for a Kindle release...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote:Their first release? A tablet based version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

:pop:
That would certainly make the setup and teardown easier!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

What was the consensus on that? Same mechanics (villain whack-a-mole), new setting, or did they add something?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think there was more complexity added, but I haven't tried it personally. I burned out on the first one.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

coopasonic wrote:I think there was more complexity added, but I haven't tried it personally. I burned out on the first one.
Yeah, I did too, and before I even got to the first adventure pack. I think the idea of perpetually flipping a card, rolling some dice at it, and hoping the villain pops out kind of got in the way of the fun of the character building.

Playing the monk probably didn't help. He doesn't really get to have loot.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Same. My group burned out on it too.

We like more euro games, as crazy as it sounds, they have more player interaction. Pathfinder is a very good base idea for a game. But the way it's setup it might as well be playing solitaire.

I see an opportunity for someone to make a derivative game with pathfinder as a base, but cranking up the player interaction and choices.

Hm... I wonder how well that would go over if I made one.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Fun game, but I burned out on it too and now no longer own it. Cool idea but after a while you realize you are just flipping cards and rolling various dice.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I like it for what it is. I'm slowly making my way through the adventure packs but I'm in no hurry.

I've only played it with other players one time and don't intend to ever again. It wasn't bad but the game has much more appeal as a solo game to me.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Archinerd wrote:I like it for what it is. I'm slowly making my way through the adventure packs but I'm in no hurry.

I've only played it with other players one time and don't intend to ever again. It wasn't bad but the game has much more appeal as a solo game to me.
And I'm the opposite. Only played with partners. I like the discussion and the bagging on each other when they screw something up.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, we just hammered through two scenarios in the 2nd adventure (Skinsaw Murders) tonight and had a blast. It's lite fun, full of table talk and mostly casual game play. With Harsk and Valeros we laugh every time rolls for spells, potions or intelligence fail -- because we're all about smashing everything that is in the way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was given a copy of this for Christmas. It is the first printing. I'm trying to find clear answers, but all I'm getting is out-of-date references and answers for other printings.

Specifically, I'm looking for info on the card errors. I can't seem to find a simple list of which cards have errors and what fixes they need. I keep seeing links to an errata, but the links just lead to the official FAQ, not an errata.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Have a look at this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9918 ... ns-sleeves

I looked at it and it seems legit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeebus. :shock:

I definitely wouldn't want to cut all those out and insert them into freakin' sleeves with the cards. And after seeing how many there are, I'm hopin' they spend some of the kickstarter money they got for Aprocypha on proofreading and playtesting. :x
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Note that the fixes are repeated 3 times in the document in 3 different styles so you can suit your tastes. Also the last page of each style is a duplicate of the latest changes. It's not as much as it seems, but it is still a lot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wow, geeze. That is a lot. I can use it to hand-write them in, as I don't sleeve my cards (too expensive.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I figured out the problem. Paizo didn't release an errata. They just refer to their FAQ as an errata.

Dumbasses. They are different things. Their FAQ includes changes to multiple printings of cards, multiple printings of the rulebook, rules changes, rules clarifications, and miscellaneous questions. That is not an errata.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We just played without the errata. Seemed to work just fine for us.