Pathfinder Card Game!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Pathfinder Card Game!

Post by coopasonic »

Boudreaux wrote:So now we're on to Hook Mountain. I'm still looking for the interesting spells for Kyra - everything I find always seems to be Arcane-oriented - and there are a few in Pack 3 that might be worth it. The variety in each Adventure seems to be coming more from the locations than the villains/objectives, so we'll see how this one works out. Pathfinder is still holding out as the most-played game in a long time.
I haven't found much interesting for Kyra. It is really just better cure spells. I can't remember, is Consecration Divine? Seems like it ought to be. I don't use it because I don't generally run out of time. The candle usually gets me what I need.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:Finished adventure pack 4 last night. The final scenario came down to 1 final chance and Amiri pulled it off. It was a bit rough as the boss wiped her entire hand (which was holding three weapons and I had already discarded a couple weapons looking for blessings). Luckily my very last weapon was in my reset. When Amiri has a weapon, there isn't much fear.
The fear is the shape you are in when you face the final guy adventure pack 4. We had more close calls with death there than I have had any point previous to this.
Spoiler:
I think it was the final villain who you have succeed a check or take damage before you face him and then he attacks you twice

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1933 ... he-runelor

Yep. Mokmurian. Can ruin your whole day. Very hard to prep for even when you knew he was coming. Chance encounters with him were all almost lethal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah things went really well on that front. I didn't encounter the big bad until his was the only open location (the +1 difficulty to combat checks location, yay :P). Not only did I fail the pre-combat roll (despite using Amiri's ability to add d10+1 to a roll), but I rolled a 6 for the burial so lost all of the weapons in hand. Luckily Amiri almost never takes damage so she had plenty of cards left and I think her last combat roll was 4d12 + 2d4 + 8. I forget what the weapon was, but most of her weapons have the discard to reroll a failed combat check as well.

I really wasn't sure what to do with the club. The only one that really needs the effect on it is Seoni and she doesn't melee. Ended up giving it to Kyra. She needs melee help. A lot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ripped through the first two scenarios in Burnt Offerings with Valeros and Harsk. While heavily weighted towards fighting, Harsk can sometimes deal with barriers, though neither can acquire spells or convince NPCs to join us. Which is why the second mission in this deck almost defeated us. What should have been a simple romp was made quite difficult as we needed to burn through blessings to try and convince people to join us. Valeros was the only one remotely successful and it was still close. I am pretty curious to see how far we can go with just these two melee characters, but of all the characters I've tried to solo or group play for adventures up to this point, these two seem to be the only ones consistently successful.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for convincing me to spend $45 that I really don't have. Looking forward to playing this with my sons. :)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Stuie wrote:I would like to thank everyone in this thread for convincing me to spend $45 that I really don't have. Looking forward to playing this with my sons. :)
You're very welcome. This is simply a great game. LordMortis and I put in a little time twisting Chaosraven's arm to get him to own a copy. I'm sure you'll see posts recounting his family's games here soon. :D
Not that he actually owns a copy yet but I'm certain he will. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:
Stuie wrote:I would like to thank everyone in this thread for convincing me to spend $45 that I really don't have. Looking forward to playing this with my sons. :)
You're very welcome. This is simply a great game. LordMortis and I put in a little time twisting Chaosraven's arm to get him to own a copy. I'm sure you'll see posts recounting his family's games here soon. :D
Not that he actually owns a copy yet but I'm certain he will. :P
I just mentioned to him that I think it is a game he and his family would enjoy playing together. It seems right in his families wheelhouse... And I'm still at work, so it's good thing I'm not trying to play Pathfinder tonight. :(
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

redrun and I started a new duo last night. Ezren and the Fighter (I forget his name even though I'm the one playing him :oops: ). The first run through redrun got killed on the first scenario. Our first death ever. So my fighter promptly ran off and found a new magic chucker to work with and we proceeded much more carefully from there forward. I think we both needed to get out of the mindset of "I have a search, use it" and into the "we have plenty of time, save the card/hitpoint" mode. I think this combo of characters may be in trouble down the road as they are not really very flexible in their abilities. Should be fun. :D
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Remus West wrote:redrun and I started a new duo last night. Ezren and the Fighter (I forget his name even though I'm the one playing him :oops: ). The first run through redrun got killed on the first scenario. Our first death ever. So my fighter promptly ran off and found a new magic chucker to work with and we proceeded much more carefully from there forward. I think we both needed to get out of the mindset of "I have a search, use it" and into the "we have plenty of time, save the card/hitpoint" mode. I think this combo of characters may be in trouble down the road as they are not really very flexible in their abilities. Should be fun. :D
Valeros. And I'm going to assume that your new spellchucker is Seoni, the sorceress? Fun character, I am constantly living on the edge with her. Without a healer, you're in for a tough row.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:
Remus West wrote:redrun and I started a new duo last night. Ezren and the Fighter (I forget his name even though I'm the one playing him :oops: ). The first run through redrun got killed on the first scenario. Our first death ever. So my fighter promptly ran off and found a new magic chucker to work with and we proceeded much more carefully from there forward. I think we both needed to get out of the mindset of "I have a search, use it" and into the "we have plenty of time, save the card/hitpoint" mode. I think this combo of characters may be in trouble down the road as they are not really very flexible in their abilities. Should be fun. :D
Valeros. And I'm going to assume that your new spellchucker is Seoni, the sorceress? Fun character, I am constantly living on the edge with her. Without a healer, you're in for a tough row.
Nah, the new spell chucked is simply a new Ezren. We simply restarted as we had gain exactly one card and it wasn't even one we planned on keeping. Doing it without anyone having the divine trait was part of the plan though. Hoping for a challenge.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I want to play. :( Stupid job.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:I want to play. :( Stupid job.
Most likely next Tuesday is my next free evening.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Whoo...the current scenario we're on in the Hook Mountain Massacre is hard. But a nice change of pace.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Played with the kids yesterday, we're up through scenario 3 of the Fortress of the Stone Giants adventure. I like that each adventure deck is self-contained and contains a sort of overarching "theme", but the repetitiveness of the game is starting to show for me. Back in adventure decks 1-2 it felt pretty fresh and exciting, now most scenarios tend to play out the same way. They really need to get beyond the "find and defeat the villian" goal in each scenario to keep this game going. I feel like we always know what we're getting into, and it's much less about the discovery and more about rote hand management and figuring out the "puzzle" between location closing requirements and henchman combat.

I'm also past the point where I feel like our character decks are changing much. The card restrictions are really hampering us, and while there are interesting new cards coming out, it's difficult to incorporate them without dropping cards that have proven useful in game after game. The first two decks seemed to give really nice upgrades from the starter decks, now it seems like the improvements are minimal. Wow, I found this even magic-er sword, with...plus 2 instead of plus 1. Whee. I'm playing Kyra, and I don't think I've changed my deck in the last 8-9 games. Most of the interesting new cards seem to be aimed at the wizards.

So, it's wearing thin. We'll finish out the Rise of the Runelords adventure path, but I'll definitely be wait-and-see for the next big box. If it's more of the same with just a different set of classes and new setting, I'll be hard pressed to invest again.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Aimed at Wizards? You must have gotten different cards that redrun. His box is definately more combat player oriented than spell for most of the levels.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Maybe I'm just bad at shuffling in the new weapons/armors, and really good at shuffling in the new spells. I know there were a few new armors in the AP4 decks, but I don't think we've ever seen any of them in play. Playing as Kyra I pay particular attention to spells, but 90% of the ones I run across are Arcane only so I pretty much ignore them.

I'm sure it's a game balance thing, but I think it would have been nice if the gains in equipment, weapons, and spells from deck to deck were more exaggerated. The difficulty in monsters can easily be scaled with them. We might start out with a sword that does melee die + 1d10. Four Adventure Decks and 20+ games later, we're using a sword that does melee die + 1d10+2. For as many games as we've played, I feel like we ought to be dual-wielding magic flaming two-handed greatswords +5 in fights against a horde of undead major demons.

Admittedly, we're doing fine on the damage generation when we have to. To defeat the villian in our game last night, the difficulty was jacked up to 24, which is probably one of the highest we've seen so far. Between all the various bonuses, though, I think my son managed to get close to 50 on his combat check. It was an obliteration.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

If they jacked up the rewards and challenges you would find yourself in deep trouble if you hit the tougher challenge before being able to aquire the better equipment and after you aquired the better equipment the starter challenges would be an enormous joke. Once you hit round 3 and begin getting rid of the basic trait banes things pick up a bit.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

redrun and I reached the end of act 3 last night. Hook Mountain has been saved. Although for the first time we had to voluntarily allow a scenario to time out. The first time through the last one the main bad guy - Barl Breakbones I think - came close to killing both of us. I had managed to aquire a burgler and a merchant and having those two cards is what kept me from dying when I rolled snake eyes while fighting him. Well, those two cards and an armor but I wouldn't have had a card to replace the armor without those two allies. That one was just an ugly scenario requiring lots of Wisdom. Using just the fighter and mage (d4 and d8 respectively) did not give us a lot of flexibility on closing locations. Stupid Shimmering Glen.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

http://www.thebrokentoken.com/acrylic-l ... card-game/

tempting...

Yes, I am considering pimping a game that will be shelved forever in ~3 months.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:http://www.thebrokentoken.com/acrylic-l ... card-game/

tempting...

But then you could use them for the next set...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My sets for Pathfinder and Eclipse should arrive tomorrow.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:
coopasonic wrote:http://www.thebrokentoken.com/acrylic-l ... card-game/

tempting...

But then you could use them for the next set...
I would like to thank the Lord for justifying my purchase. :D
SpaceLord wrote:Coming. Soon. Goblin. Pirate.

Paizo Blog: Goblin character available at Free RPG days on April 21st.

:wub:

:horse:
I didn't realize this was a character, not a bane. Awesome. He will also come with a sub for Skulls & Shackles so no need to go hang out with those RPGers on 4/21.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Has anyone heard anything regarding the next expansion?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paizo site says mid april which is pretty much next week. I haven't gotten the heads up email which usually comes a week before it ships...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:Paizo site says mid april which is pretty much next week. I haven't gotten the heads up email which usually comes a week before it ships...
Email came today saying it shoul dship by 4/25. Paizo is a bunch of teases.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Anyone know if the Character Add On pack is widely available?

The only reason why my large group of gaming friends hasn't picked this up is that we need more 6 player games first, and I just discovered that there is a 6 player expansion.

Considering that Sentinels of the Multiverse is going over really well with the group, I suspect this game should do just as well, assuming I can find that expansion pack.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know if it's widely available but it should be out there. Amazon? ... Wow... checked Paizo site and it's listed as unavailable...

amazon has two different places

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Advent ... ter+add+on

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Advent ... ter+add+on
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've seen it in my FLGS. Really fun game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finished part 5 of Burnt Offerings last night and I'm starting to get concerned for our long-term viability playing as Valeros and Harsk. Without question we cut through enemies like nobody's business. What we're not able to do is gear up in any capacity. We both consistently fail checks for all kinds of goodies and when we do get things we need (like healing potions) they're one-shot use items. I had a healing staff that I ultimately tossed in favor of a crowbar. Healing a single card from my discard pile seemed rather useless to a reusable simple machine that helps with strength checks. Regardless, Harsk's ability to scout the deck probably been the most useful skill each and every time we play.

Maybe it's good we're playing the game with these characters as it's rather straight-forward. In the words of Minsc, "Jump on my sword while you can, evil! I won't be as gentle!"

I guess (in theory) playing with other non-combat focused characters should at least give a different experience.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Remus West wrote:Has anyone heard anything regarding the next expansion?
Just got word from Amazon -- Deck 5 will be in my hands on 5/2.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I got it last week. Only did the first scenario so far and it was so easy it was kind of boring. I hope it ramps up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:Yeah, I got it last week. Only did the first scenario so far and it was so easy it was kind of boring. I hope it ramps up.
It's not difficult compared to 4 but the dynamic is more interesting. For instance

Spoiler:
There is an adventure where you have to kill three villians which means you have to temp close locations to kill villains or they will just keep jumping around from location to location. As example for making you think about the problem, One of the locations can't use spells. One location only lets you use one card while you are at it. And one location forces you bury your hand every time you close the location.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Just had a crazy win on one of the starter quests again the poison guy. It was a learning game with 5 players. We didn't try to get through as many locations as we should have per turn, which left us 3 open locations and the villain nowhere to be seen on the last turn. One player gets through 3 cards of his location deck on the final turn, we were already willing to call it at that point, until I remembered the whole Temporary Closing rule. The only locations we had left open just required players to banish cards, which we all did. Then we buffed the heck out of the player facing the villain, using blessings and anything else we could throw at him, killing the villain on the final turn and leaving him nowhere to run.

By the way, I haven't looked through all the FAQ yet, but are Blessing of the Gods practically always Recharged instead of discarded? By this I mean, every blessing card in the blessing deck has the Recharge ability where if it matches the current card of the blessings deck, you recharge instead of discarding. Well, Blessing of the Gods says it can be played as a card identical to the top card of the Blessings deck. So unless you happen to get another Blessing of the Gods on top of the deck, you're always going to recharge BotGs unless played to explore?

Was this intentional? It seems super powerful, although it is offset by the need to use blessings to explore sometimes. Or is there a fix in the errata/faq that I haven't seen yet?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Turtle wrote: By the way, I haven't looked through all the FAQ yet, but are Blessing of the Gods practically always Recharged instead of discarded? By this I mean, every blessing card in the blessing deck has the Recharge ability where if it matches the current card of the blessings deck, you recharge instead of discarding. Well, Blessing of the Gods says it can be played as a card identical to the top card of the Blessings deck. So unless you happen to get another Blessing of the Gods on top of the deck, you're always going to recharge BotGs unless played to explore?

Was this intentional? It seems super powerful, although it is offset by the need to use blessings to explore sometimes. Or is there a fix in the errata/faq that I haven't seen yet?
No, it is never recharged in that way. I don't recall if it is called out anywhere, but nope. It's probably the most common mistake for folsk that think the game is too easy. (note: the game is still pretty easy)

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk#v5748eaic9r52
Does Blessing of the Gods copy the recharge information from the top card of the blessings discard pile?
No—just the powers.

Resolution: On the blessing Blessing of the Gods, change the last power to:

"You may instead treat this card as if it had the same powers as the top card of the blessings discard pile."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

No, the intent was not to have the BotG cards auto-recharge if you use them to match the top blessing ability. The only time you can recharge is if the blessing you play matches the blessing on the top of the deck (which makes for a pretty rare occurrence, at least with our group.)

Here's the section from the FAQ that talks about this:
Does Blessing of the Gods copy the recharge information
from the top card of the blessings discard pile?

No—just the powers. Resolution: On the blessing
Blessing of the Gods, change the last power to:
"You may instead treat this card as if it had the same
powers as the top card of the blessings discard pile."
(This card also appears in the Character Add-On Deck.)
[EDIT: DAMMIT!!!]
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nice choice in bolding the question in the quote. I like your style... even if you are a bit slow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Thanks, while we were playing and our resident power gamer found this loophole, it immediately struck me as off.

What about the Monk? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything with that character's ridiculous fighting ability to use 2 blessings on himself, he punches through practically everything that's not a special monster. I suppose he's a lot more tame now that he has to discard those blessings instead of recharge.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Turtle wrote:Thanks, while we were playing and our resident power gamer found this loophole, it immediately struck me as off.

What about the Monk? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything with that character's ridiculous fighting ability to use 2 blessings on himself, he punches through practically everything that's not a special monster. I suppose he's a lot more tame now that he has to discard those blessings instead of recharge.
The monk recharges all of his blessing for combat, I believe, as long as he doesn't use a weapon and can roll his d8 dex die as well. The down side is that if he uses all of his blessings then he's not doing extra searches. He also has to worry about giving all of his blessings away to help other players and then when it gets back to him, he has no blessings and no weapons for his turn.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Turtle wrote:Thanks, while we were playing and our resident power gamer found this loophole, it immediately struck me as off.

The monk recharges all of his blessing for combat, I believe, as long as he doesn't use a weapon and can roll his d8 dex die as well. The down side is that if he uses all of his blessings then he's not doing extra searches. He also has to worry about giving all of his blessings away to help other players and then when it gets back to him, he has no blessings and no weapons for his turn.
I don't think it matters if he uses a weapon or not. His ability to use and recharge any number of blessings applies to combat checks in general. His ability to use his dexterity die in place of his strength requires no weapon though.