Pathfinder Card Game!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Boudreaux

Re: Pathfinder Card Game!

Post by Boudreaux »

Pathfinder was broken out again this weekend after a hiatus, and we finally completed the final adventure in the Burnt Offerings adventure. We've fine-tuned our party down to Harsk, Valeros, and Kyra, and so far it's been pretty unstoppable. We've had one adventure where we ran out of time, but we're getting much better at hand management and recognizing when the risks are too much. My boys are also getting really savvy at figuring out how to manipulate the henchmen/villians to maximize our advantages and corner the villians as quickly as possible.

So we broke out the first scenario in The Skinsaw Murders, and were able to defeat it pretty handily thanks to running into the villian pretty early. Haven't seen too much of this deck yet, but there were a few interesting changes in the first scenario, particularly with the locations and one of the henchmen. I had thought we'd be burning through these faster than the adventure decks were released, but so far so good.

This is shaping up to be one of my most-played games this year, and was a game that came out of nowhere for me.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Remus West wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Sad I never got to try this at OctoCon.
redrun has a copy. I've played it. I liked it. Hope to play more soon.
redrun and I finished up the last of the adventures that are currently out this past weekend. Looking forward to future releases and possibly playing some other characters to go back through the old stuff.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Remus West wrote:
Remus West wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Sad I never got to try this at OctoCon.
redrun has a copy. I've played it. I liked it. Hope to play more soon.
redrun and I finished up the last of the adventures that are currently out this past weekend. Looking forward to future releases and possibly playing some other characters to go back through the old stuff.
Speaking of future releases:

Paizo announces 2nd Pathfinder ACD campaign

They're be 7 new classes: Oracle, Gunslinger, Magus, Swashbuckler, Alchemist, Witch, and Warpriest, along with the 4 basics. All characters are cross-compatible between campaigns.

:horse:
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That's not til next year, right? Maybe I'll be halfway through the campaign of this version by then. :(
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Based on our progress, unless we get burnt out we should just about be done when that hits.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Player mats are in the online stores now.

Sure they are completely unnecessary, but they look nice. They had them at BGGcon and I was looking for where I could buy them. At least now I have something to add on to my order when Robinson Crusoe is restocked.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:The good news is I finally beat "Approach to Thistletop" with three characters. The bas news is I started it with four characters. :( I overextended with Seoni and wasn't paying attention to how low her draw pile had gotten. I was pushing it because it was my third attempt at the scenario. I was all excited because I closed a location on my very first exploration. it still came down to 2 cards.

I haven't decided how I am going to proceed. I am tempted to press on. only having one scenario left I ought to be able to do it, right? I'd really like that card feat!
It took me nearly 3 months but I finally started moving again and I am back to where I lost Seoni. She survived this time and I am one scenario away from finally closing out the first adventure deck. Getting the 3rd adventure deck in last week finally motivated me to catch back up. I played 3 scenarios today. Tomorrow I am off, the wife is working and the kids are in playcare. Game on!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes, yes I can post 3 times in a row. I wanted to add in a huge thanks again to malichai11 for having this idea! Favorite solo game ever.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Redrun, Remus West and I played the up through Adventure Pack three over the holidays and I really enjoyed this game.

We made a few rules mistakes that heavily favored us. I think on two different occasions, we were this >< close to losing a scenario. Once because the deck almost ran out and once because the deck almost ran out we couldn't find the Villain in time and once because the deck almost ran out and we weren't prepared to take on the villain.

From the sound of it, we're going to play through it again and that it will have re-playability to some extent because at the very least each character type plays dramatically differently and will give a different flavor to the game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Back is feeling a bit better so I plopped down on a chair with a cushion at my kitchen table and started up a game. Was hoping to get a party of 3 started and finish up the first scenario....only to lose to time. I need to reassess my party build, it would appear. Anyone from the Chicago gang want to help me play through the scenarios/adventure packs, dagnabit?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

What characters are you using? I'm playing with kyra, seoni, amiri and merisiel. If you told me to dump one if them I would have a hard time with it. I guess it would be amiri but she would be missed greatly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Back is feeling a bit better so I plopped down on a chair with a cushion at my kitchen table and started up a game. Was hoping to get a party of 3 started and finish up the first scenario....only to lose to time. I need to reassess my party build, it would appear. Anyone from the Chicago gang want to help me play through the scenarios/adventure packs, dagnabit?
Tommy, Stuart and I are halfway through Adventure pack 1. We play it about every other/every third Monday. You're welcome to join us, but I know that weeknights are a no-go for you.

And even a great party build will sometime lose to time, just based on bad location stacks. Who were you playing?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I went with the fighter, the druid and the thief. I don't think I can go more than three without having too many things to keep track of, unfortunately. The druid started off strong but petered out eventually. I think I'll replace her with another support character.

I do wish the second base game was out. To be honest the classes in that sound way more fun to me than the standard fare included in the runelords.

Ah well, between this, mage knight, Legends of Andor, my growing victory point games collection, and eldrich horror, it's a great time for solitaire games when it's too crappy out to do anything.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be starting the campaign this weekend. I'm expecting that BGG will have some sort of sheet to track character decks.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

When you say you're going to replace the druid with someone else, are you just swapping in the new character, or are you taking the character all the way through the scenarios to get up to where your other characters are now?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is a brand new start that, I'm ashamed to say, ended cruelly on the first scenario. :oops:
Covfefe!
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Just opened my Hook Mountain expansion pack last night, since it arrived when I was on vacation. Man, there's some cool stuff in there. Looks quite a bit harder, and some of the cards are awesome. Swipe is a crazy good spell, and my fighter would give his right eye for a Belt of Giant Strength. :wub:

Of course, our first attempt at the last adventure in Burnt Offerings was a failure due to the deck running out, so I've got a long way before I can get to HMM.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I hope Hook Mountain loot is good. There wasn't much in Skinsaw that looked interesting to me. Maybe a spell or two. I finished the first two scenarios in Skinsaw over the weekend. The first one I defeated on the very last card of the Blessings deck. The second one I had 8 cards left. The funny thing is I defeated the villain 3 times in that scenario before she would stay dead. Found her early and often.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is there a consensus on the best number of characters to play when going through the adventure packs solo?
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:Is there a consensus on the best number of characters to play when going through the adventure packs solo?
I've enjoyed our three player games. I suspect three or four is perfect. Three give you a fighter, Arcane, Divine combo. Four would give you a thief/mule.

I'd not want to manage four players in a solo effort though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:I hope Hook Mountain loot is good. There wasn't much in Skinsaw that looked interesting to me. Maybe a spell or two. I finished the first two scenarios in Skinsaw over the weekend. The first one I defeated on the very last card of the Blessings deck. The second one I had 8 cards left. The funny thing is I defeated the villain 3 times in that scenario before she would stay dead. Found her early and often.
What's nice about Hook Mountain looting is that as you see cards with the "Basic" trait you can face them one last time and then never face them again.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:I'd not want to manage four players in a solo effort though.
I've played about 20 games solo with 4 characters and have run into no issues with keeping track of everything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just finished the third scenario of Hook Mountain. First scenario I have failed in a LONG time. Here Comes the Flood. I lost the first time 11-3, second try managed to eek it out 8-7.
SpaceLord wrote:my fighter would give his right eye for a Belt of Giant Strength. :wub:
I picked up the strength belt, but it didn't make it into my deck. I think the Mattock and crowbar are more useful than +1 str. I already have +6 to my melee rolls. Pushing it to +7 isn't going to make that much difference in my opinion. There isn't much that stands up to d12 +2d6 + 6. Seoni is the only one that is more deadly. Lightning Bolt! Also I like the new Cure spell (Major Cure maybe?). Minor upgrade for very nice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When a character dies during your games, is that character out completely (meaning they lose everything they've gained, start with the basic cards and must start again at the very first scenario) or does he/she just have to redo the scenario in which they died (keeping the stuff they gained from previous scenarios they've completed)?
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:When a character dies during your games, is that character out completely (meaning they lose everything they've gained, start with the basic cards and must start again at the very first scenario) or does he/she just have to redo the scenario in which they died (keeping the stuff they gained from previous scenarios they've completed)?
We haven't had anyone die yet, so we haven't had to cross that bridge. According to the rules, dead is dead, and if you want to get all of the rewards from the scenarios, you have to restart the character (or a new one) from scratch.

It would be easy enough to hand wave that away, saying "Oh, we need to recruit someone with similar experience to take the place of poor Seoni, who was eaten by a bear last week. I'm sorry, son, but you just out of the Sorcerer's Correspondence School, you just don't have the experience. NEXT!" and just artificially advance the character you replace them with by giving them the same rewards.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, based on the rules that character starts from scratch. I did that after Seoni died on the 7th or 8th scenario. The from scratch deck building rules change with adventure deck 3, but that doesn't get you all your missing skill, power and card feats. You either wave your hands or start over. The good news is while you are starting over you can improve your other character decks. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks. On BGG there's a few variants on how to handle character death floating around and was curious if anyone was using those. I'll probably fire it up again this afternoon and give it another go. I just have to clear all the miniatures I'm assembling and painting off the table. Which is, thanks to my recent buying spree and Christmas presents is no small feat. :oops:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Thanks. On BGG there's a few variants on how to handle character death floating around and was curious if anyone was using those. I'll probably fire it up again this afternoon and give it another go. I just have to clear all the miniatures I'm assembling and painting off the table. Which is, thanks to my recent buying spree and Christmas presents is no small feat. :oops:
I should have contacted you yesterday to set up a time to teach me Robinson Crusoe. I just picked it up yesterday. Going to spend some time this afternoon trying to learn it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm home today. :D
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:I'm home today. :D
I would have called you, but I fell asleep on the couch for about 2 1/2 hours. :oops:

Guess I was tired.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Started a six player game with redrun, LordMortis, and myself each running 2 characters. Funnily enough, the six player seems to be the most challenging so far. While you have everyone you need for each specific type of encounter you do not usually have the time to get them there as each character only has 5 turns for each adventure. Keeping a lot of extra searches in the decks seems to be vital. As does passing over the idea that you can see every card each round and simply close some of the locations when you hit the henchman.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote:Started a six player game with redrun, LordMortis, and myself each running 2 characters. Funnily enough, the six player seems to be the most challenging so far. While you have everyone you need for each specific type of encounter you do not usually have the time to get them there as each character only has 5 turns for each adventure. Keeping a lot of extra searches in the decks seems to be vital. As does passing over the idea that you can see every card each round and simply close some of the locations when you hit the henchman.
And the idea that you should win every combat, disarm every trap, pick up useless stuff, etc...

I really like how the dynamic has different every game we've played. Every game in the six player game is definitely a game against the clock, which makes my characters particularly difficult. The monk has to ask "do I not recycle my blessings because I have to search?" And the mage has to ask "how close to death can I put myself and risk flipping the next card and then will redrun save me from being useless the rest of the adventure" right out of the gate. In the back of mind I'm still trying to figure out if the Seoni's first power should be the larger hand or the Item recharge.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Remus West wrote:Started a six player game with redrun, LordMortis, and myself each running 2 characters. Funnily enough, the six player seems to be the most challenging so far. While you have everyone you need for each specific type of encounter you do not usually have the time to get them there as each character only has 5 turns for each adventure. Keeping a lot of extra searches in the decks seems to be vital. As does passing over the idea that you can see every card each round and simply close some of the locations when you hit the henchman.
And the idea that you should win every combat, disarm every trap, pick up useless stuff, etc...

I really like how the dynamic has different every game we've played. Every game in the six player game is definitely a game against the clock, which makes my characters particularly difficult. The monk has to ask "do I not recycle my blessings because I have to search?" And the mage has to ask "how close to death can I put myself and risk flipping the next card and then will redrun save me from being useless the rest of the adventure" right out of the gate. In the back of mind I'm still trying to figure out if the Seoni's first power should be the larger hand or the Item recharge.
The item recharge will cause me to give up my amulet of life to you which will allow you to walk the edge during combats knowing you have some protection rather than risking your entire hand.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Remus West wrote:
LordMortis wrote:

The item recharge will cause me to give up my amulet of life to you which will allow you to walk the edge during combats knowing you have some protection rather than risking your entire hand.
I think Seoni's hand size should be one of the last things you level up. The more cards you are holding in your hand, the more damage you can take at one shot. Especially towards the end of the game, this can be brutal. For the power upgrade I ended up choosing the +1 on the Arcane attack after discard.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

malichai11 wrote:Please buy more of this game. The mechanics are actually owned by my company, and you'll see my name in the front of the rulebook after a Game By Mike Selinker, based on an idea by ________. I'm _______ . So we get a couple bucks for every game that's sold, and we greatly appreciate your bucks.

My whole thought process was that I wanted a cooperative card game that you could play with your buddies without an active opponent, and what you did last week would affect what you did this week, and what you did this week would affect what you did next week. I then went to the best game designer out there and he did all the hard work of turning my thoughts it into a game.

We actually have our own world that we were building the game for, but when Mike had his prototype ready, we basically realized we had made a perfect game for Pathfinder, so we approached them and then a year later, boom, there it was.

Our own intellectual property version of the game (a modern day, urban fantasy horror setting) should come out next year, and I hope y'all buy it too. It'll be distinctly different, mechanically, than Pathfinder, while still having the base of being a cooperative game where your actions from week to week matter and your characters grow in power.
You just made $2 off me...

Was on the fence about buying this, but played a 3-player game with a friends set yesterday and fell in love.

So. I have my own copy sitting here ready to rip the shrinkwrap, but I guess I need at least card sleeves for the character cards, right?
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

None of my cards are sleeved. They do get a bit beat up (I have about 30 games played), but I am OK with that. To track character stuff there are characters sheets on the Paizo site that you can print.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The method that really works for me is only slapping sleeves on the cards in the character deck and then having a pile of sleeves handy to sleeve anything you pull from exploring. Since you're handling them the most and shuffling them around I think it makes sense to protect them fully. It's certainly cheaper (and faster) to do that than to try and sleeve all the cards in the box -- which I don't think is sized for storing sleeved cards. Might not be noticeable now, but after adding the expansions into the box it will probably become unwieldy. As long as you're reasonable setting up the location decks and not aggressively shuffling then, I personally think it's overkill to sleeve everything, but YMMV and I do agree the cards are way thinner and flimsier than I'd like.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

We sleeved the character token cards - the one you're moving around from location to location. The character decks and everything else we left unsleeved, and after 15-20 plays they're holding up pretty well. I like the idea of just sleeving the character deck cards as needed - that's clever - but it already takes long enough to set up, I don't need to add more to manage during the game. So far so good.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I ended up sleeving any character cards, because.

Then I also sleeved the Adventure card, the scenario cards, and the location cards as well. Obviously as I press forward, the space limitations in the box will come into play.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."