Best Game of Last Five Years - Final Round!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Which game is better?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
37%
Fallout: New Vegas
47%
No vote
17%

Total votes: 30

Hipolito

Best Game of Last Five Years - Final Round!

Post by Hipolito »

Results of Round 4

Western Conference
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 11
Borderlands 2: 9
No vote: 4

Eastern Conference
Fallout: New Vegas: 14
Portal 2: 8
No vote: 3

And so it has come down to this, ladies and gentlemen: a Bethesda crosstown classic! Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas were both published by Bethesda Softworks and, though developed by different companies, have the same open world flavor that a lot of us crave. One's a second-seed, big-budget A-lister, the other's a bottom-seed, scrappy Cinderella. Which game is the best of the last five years? You decide.

I'm giving a shorter deadline this time, as the previous round went a little too long and I think we're eager to see the end of this race. Vote today!

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Re: Best Game of Last Five Years - Final Round!

Post by Daehawk »

Holy hell this is going to be a tough vote. I love them both so much! Ill have to pick the one I feel Ive had more fun with....
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This is the easiest round yet!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Both very good games, but I can't bring myself to declare either the best of the last five years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

back in the late 80s, i never would have guessed that Bethesda Softworks would become one of the top-rated PC game development studios of the 2010s.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, to be clear Obsidian Entertainment developed Fallout New Vegas - Bethesda was merely the publisher. While I'm sorely disappointed in the final outcome:
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with
Skyrim winning this would be a damn shame -- and I say that as someone with close to a hundred hours playing it. F:NV is a really good game with an excellent series of story arcs. Old World Blues was some of the best DLC content I've ever played - so much so that it spoiled me for tying to finish the other F:NV DLC as it wasn't even close in terms of quality.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder - if we ran the same thing a couple more times, but scrambled the initial placements, how would the results differ?

I notice, for instance, that we had half a dozen indie arcade-style games up against a bunch of AAA titles. Not one of the indie games got past the second tier, and most didn't get past the first.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You people are ruining this!! Fallout is great but for fun factor and looks Skyrim is clearly the best :wub:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm pretty sure there are waaaaaaaaaaaay more nude mods for F:NV than Skyrim.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Blackhawk wrote:I wonder - if we ran the same thing a couple more times, but scrambled the initial placements, how would the results differ?

I notice, for instance, that we had half a dozen indie arcade-style games up against a bunch of AAA titles. Not one of the indie games got past the second tier, and most didn't get past the first.
That could be interesting. I don't quite remember my methodology for arranging the bracket, but I think it was mostly random after accounting for seeding. For the BGOAT, I could try to keep the indies and big-budgets away from each other. Of course, for that to be possible, everyone will need to nominate as many indies as big-budgets.

It's enough of a surprise that FNV made it this far, but to see it winning the title? I don't know. I'm playing it now, and am still too early in the game to judge it (just completed the quests in Primm), but so far, I'm not seeing the greatness.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

I voted for skyrim. I played both and just couldn't get in to NV as much as I really wanted to. Though I did seem to get stuck at what seemed like "the end" of skyrim. I really enjoyed the game though.

As a side thought , wouldn't it be awesome to see a open storied lovecraft game like skyrim or NV? :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Even though we are but a microcosm of the gaming universe with an even smaller focused group of PC gamers, I'm beginning to see now why there's an Elder Scrolls MMO game coming out. This poll is bananas.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Well my vote tied it up.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*