[Kickstarter] Robot Turtles

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

[Kickstarter] Robot Turtles

Post by Zarathud »

This game reminds me of a kid's version of Robo Rally -- Robot Turtles.

It's a limited print run for a game which claims to teach basic programming skills to preschoolers. There are also supposed to be grownup level (8+) rules coming out. Looks cool, and something more entertaining than Candyland.

Spoiler:
Don't tell hepcat that I'll have an extra copy for Christmas!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Re: [Kickstarter] Robot Turtles

Post by RMC »

Hmm... Looks like I might have to pursue this for my little ones.

My middle daughters bedroom is my old room, we bought my parents house, and I have some old board games still in the closet. She is always asking to play them with me, or as she calls it my 'friends' that play in the basement. :)

Anyway, those games are things like Risk, Axis and Allies, and some other older board games that don't get out too often.

So this looks like something awesome for her to play.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
PLW

Post by PLW »

Darn. I was hoping for actual robot turtles. I'd buy one of those.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Looks interesting, but I'm not sold that my daughter would actually play it.

Hmmmmm...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm fortunate in that my kids do play games like Kids of Carcassone, Chicken Cha Cha, Orchard and KinderBunnies. It doesn't always end well, but they try. It helps that my 6 year old is a people pleaser while the 4 year old can play more attenetion. We can usually only get in one game before they're ready for something else. ;)
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:I'm fortunate in that my kids do play games like Kids of Carcassone, Chicken Cha Cha, Orchard and KinderBunnies. It doesn't always end well, but they try. It helps that my 6 year old is a people pleaser while the 4 year old can play more attenetion. We can usually only get in one game before they're ready for something else. ;)
Yeah, I have a 9 year old and a 6 year old, and a 4 year old. The 9 year old likes to people please, and the 6 year old likes to win. The 4 year old likes ponies. :)

So this might keep their attention if I could make it robot ponies instead of turtles. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

It's so f'n CUTE!!!!

:wub:

Almost as cute as this:

They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Would have bought that if it wasn't 2 players and geared for infinite expansions.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Just wait for the My Little Pony CCG in December, RMC.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:Just wait for the My Little Pony CCG in December, RMC.
Egads! Please say No!

:)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Hi! I'm Dan Shapiro. You can follow me on Twitter, see my bio, or check out my blog.
the guy who is pitching this was CEO of a company i contracted for, a few years back.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just played this for the first time last night with the 4-year-old (and again this morning, because he insisted). If you have a 4-year-old of your own (or a bit older), I highly recommend it -- it does a great job of introducing rules that are simple, but not boring, and gives players a real sense of accomplishment.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

RMC wrote:
Egads! Please say No!

Didn't you just say yes to the My Little Pony CCG at Origins? Thought I'd remind you.

:twisted:

Anyway, I'm looking to break this one out again with the kids.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... a board game implementation of the Logo programming language, which had 'robot turtles' in the 60s.
-mf
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:
RMC wrote:
Egads! Please say No!

Didn't you just say yes to the My Little Pony CCG at Origins? Thought I'd remind you.

:twisted:

Anyway, I'm looking to break this one out again with the kids.
Ugh, you corrupted me and my kids. They love the cards, not so much playing by the rules of the game but they love playing with the cards. I have bought a bunch of booster packs for them to play with since Origins.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

My friend got this game and the expansion, his wee one loves it.

Every time I read the name of the game I get two songs stuck in my head - Ro-Bot Roll Call! from MST3K, and Robot Ponies! It's very weird.
There is no hug button. Sad!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ordered. Kiddo has always loved games and is just now starting to be able to follow the rules and last for more than 10 minutes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Can you cancel? I have an extra copy...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:Can you cancel? I have an extra copy...
Already shipped. Drat! I could return but that might be more trouble than it's worth. Thanks for the offer though. If Tiks can manage the rules we'll have to get together to play.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rule #1 She is the boss of the Turtles by choosing the cards. That's HER job.
Rule #2 You move the Turtles. That's YOUR job.

It's amazing how quickly she will adapt to the idea of bossing you around especially if you make the turtles moving funny. Make mom play (and make deliberate mistakes) and she'll laugh as she beats you to the goal, but get her to help you out afterwards.

Very clever way to incentivize kids. Before you know it, they'll be blocking your movements.