Any impressions re: Dawn of the Zeds (2nd ed)? [boardgame]

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Any impressions re: Dawn of the Zeds (2nd ed)? [boardgame]

Post by $iljanus »

Hi all,

So I had the urge to add yet another game to my growing pile and Dawn of the Zeds 2nd edition
The Battle for Farmingdale
looked rather interesting. I'm always on the lookout for good solitaire game systems since boardgame friends are few and far between. It seems to get good reviews but I figured I'd pick the brains of OOers. Price isn't too bad either. I'd love to introduce my daughter to the game but being that she's six and from the artwork I think I'd be banished to the garage if she started playing this, had nightmares and told mommy about it...

Thanks!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Re: Any impressions re: Dawn of the Zeds (2nd ed)? [boardgam

Post by hepcat »

Here's my impression after owning the game since the 2nd edition was released (I actually ordered it about 7 minutes after it showed up on their web site):

Get it.

The original game was already great, from everything I've read. That's why I was anxious to get this new version. But the new edition adds so many things that it's like a brand new game.

You get multiple scenarios (including one with a mad scientist), a new map board, new zombies, and refined rules. I've played about a half dozen times and I can't recommend it enough. Each game is a new experience with new challenges. I've yet to win anything but the tutorial mission, but I know where I'm making mistakes and I'm learning from them.

The rules look daunting as they're laid out in a GMT style, wargame format (rule 1.01 leads to rule 1.02, etc), but play the tutorial mission that includes a handy walkthrough and you'll be up and running in no time.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

QT3 review (five stars).
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

What's your typical setup time for the game, Hepcat? Part of the fun for me is organizing my game components to make setup flow smoothly but two of my favorite games: Hornet Leader and Thunderbolt Apache Leader still have a bit of setup due to pilot selection, ordinance selection, etc. which is also part of the fun but those games don't get to the table as often as I like because of this. I like playing those games but would like to add something to my inventory that's a little quicker to set up. Of course I've seen a few gameplay videos and will probably end up buying it. :)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

10 to 15 minutes for most scenarios. With the caveat that I use a Plano box to keep my chits organized. Also keep in mind that these are laser cut counters. This means you'll get some soot when punching them out. I used to dread this...until I actually jumped in and got the game. Then I realized it wasn't really a big deal at all.

P.S. The well reviewed Nemo's War is getting a similar gold banner edition soon. I really want that one too.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:10 to 15 minutes for most scenarios. With the caveat that I use a Plano box to keep my chits organized. Also keep in mind that these are laser cut counters. This means you'll get some soot when punching them out. I used to dread this...until I actually jumped in and got the game. Then I realized it wasn't really a big deal at all.

P.S. The well reviewed Nemo's War is getting a similar gold banner edition soon. I really want that one too.
Thanks Hepcat! I may have some extra GMT counter trays laying around that I can use to organize things.
Black lives matter!