Custom 3D Printed Miniatures [Kickstarter]

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

silvaril

Custom 3D Printed Miniatures [Kickstarter]

Post by silvaril »

Heya

Looks quite interesting, especially the customisation capabilities...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pro ... miniatures" target="_blank
Kickstarter Page wrote: Proxy War is bringing tabletop gaming into the 21st century, letting gamers create fully custom models online, and then get them 3D printed in ultra-fine detail. Log onto a database of parts, select chassis, torsos, limbs, weapons, mutations, powers, and technology, and clip them together into a unit that is uniquely yours. You can also partner with our design staff to create a custom unit entirely from scratch. Our service lets you make anything you can imagine—from RPG characters to whole wargame armies.

-- What will your prices be post-Kickstarter?
Post-release, we will be using our retail price, which will be between ten and twenty percent higher than Kickstarter pricing. The exact percentage will vary because in the next year, 3D printing is going to undergo its own revolution, drastically decreasing price and increasing availability. In the long run, we have an eye toward even allowing you to print your models at home and skip out on paying a manufacturer.

-- Do you guys do terrain? How much will it cost?
Yes, we do terrain! Terrain is designed exactly the same way as regular models—the only difference is it’s a little cheaper. Since buildings tend to have more solid, geometric designs, we can hollow them out inside, meaning it takes less plastic to make them. How much less depends on the exact building design, but everyone who orders terrain will get a little bit of store credit after it's done to reflect the lowered cost.

-- Do you guys do starships? Space objects? How much will it cost?
Yes, we do starships, starfighters, rockets, space-stations, satellites, and spacecraft of all kinds, including stands so that they can “fly” above the table. They are priced exactly like regular models. This is available by default, but look to windward for stretch goals that may expand spacecraft options.

-- What are the limits on what you’ll model?
We take commissions for nearly anything; this being a wargame, we have no limitation on violent content. We do not model or produce art of sexual acts or genitalia. We also reserve the right not to produce material we deem offensive, including but not limited to, racist or bigoted content.

-- Can I take a picture of myself and have myself made into a mini?
Yes! We can do that, as an Original mini—your picture counts as submitted concept art. Our design team is skilled and dedicated at taking your input and making it into a little plastic reality, whether that input comes in the form of a novel series, two paragraphs, or a photo album.
Kelric

Re: Custom 3D Printed Miniatures [Kickstarter]

Post by Kelric »

Don't care about the game aspect, but the ability to customize miniatures is a great idea.
El Guapo

Re: Custom 3D Printed Miniatures [Kickstarter]

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I am assuming that they could be printed in color? That could finally bring colored miniatures to people like me who would like them colored but who don't give nearly enough of a shit to do it ourselves.
Black Lives Matter.