Best Game of All Time Tournament - Round 5

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Choose one (or none) per Division.

Poll ended at Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am

DIV A: Fallout
14%
DIV A: TIE Fighter
12%
DIV B: Alpha Centauri
12%
DIV B: X-COM: UFO Defense
13%
DIV C: Baldur's Gate II
16%
DIV C: Planescape: Torment
8%
DIV D: Fallout: New Vegas
11%
DIV D: Civilization IV
13%
No vote at all
No votes

Total votes: 107

Hipolito

Best Game of All Time Tournament - Round 5

Post by Hipolito »

Results for Round 4 (26 voters):

Fallout: 10
Skyrim: 9

TIE Fighter: 16
Portal 2: 7

Alpha Centauri: 17
Red Dead Redemption: 5

X-COM: UFO Defense: 14
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: 4

Baldur's Gate II: 20
Dragon Age: Origins: 3

Planescape: Torment: 19
Borderlands 2: 3

Fallout 2: 9
Fallout: New Vegas: 11

Civilization IV: 12
Civilization V: 6

Enlarge Image

It was neat to pit the BGOLFY Elite Eight against the BGOAT Elite Eight, but the results show that we go for the older games almost every time. The only newer game to beat an older game is our BGOLFY champion, Fallout: New Vegas.

So most of our BGOAT Elite Eight survived their miniboss matches and will now beat upon each other. Choose one game per divisional pair using the poll above.
LordMortis

Re: Best Game of All Time Tournament - Round 5

Post by LordMortis »

For the first time, I'm hit a spot where I've played both games and can't decide. How do you choose between BGII and Planescape: Torment?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

By putting a check next to 'Baldur's Gate II' and hitting 'Submit.'

It isn't all that complicated.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote:By putting a check next to 'Baldur's Gate II' and hitting 'Submit.'

It isn't all that complicated.

+1

I admit, I've never understood the love Planescape:Torment gets. What is it about that game that generates such passion?
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Exodor wrote: I admit, I've never understood the love Planescape:Torment gets. What is it about that game that generates such passion?
PST is a journey of self-discovery, a look at the tapestry of a man's life and, yes, what can change the nature of it. I loved its conversations and how they revealed more about the characters' tragic pasts as the game progressed. In conversations with even the most minor of characters, and even in item descriptions, there are commentaries on memory, destiny, emotion and belief. I chose to go Chaotic Evil and the game gave real meaning to my choices. PST is the most emotionally satisfying game I've ever played.

On the other hand, I've never given the Baldur's Gate games a shot. I've been thinking about doing so, but I'm not sure whether to dive into the original versions on GOG.com or the enhanced versions from Beamdog. I hear the enhanced versions are problematic.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Looks like this is the round where I only pick losers.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hipolito wrote: On the other hand, I've never given the Baldur's Gate games a shot. I've been thinking about doing so, but I'm not sure whether to dive into the original versions on GOG.com or the enhanced versions from Beamdog. I hear the enhanced versions are problematic.
The originals, installed via BG1Tutu (gives BG1 the BG2 engine and fixes.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

DIV A just about killed me. It took me 12 minutes to decide on one according to the clock. In the end choice Im still not happy I had to choose but hard choices are part of this type deal. Im just glad I forgot to nominate Star Trek 25th Anniversary now or I'd fall over from the decision. Im BAD at decision making.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is an interesting aside about this forum that, of the eight games that made it this far, two are nineteen years old. Only three are from this century, and only one is from the past five years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:It is an interesting aside about this forum that, of the eight games that made it this far, two are nineteen years old. Only three are from this century, and only one is from the past five years.
Part of it is that those are probably the games we were able to sink the time into when we were younger...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Pyperkub wrote:Part of it is that those are probably the games we were able to sink the time into when we were younger...
Originality is a huge factor for me when picking between two games.

As an example - the recent X-Com remake is great and captures most of the fun from the original - but it was created with an existing game as a template. The original was successful without any such guide and so if I'm picking between them I'm going to pick the original.

It's why I voted against Skyrim earlier in the tournament - it's a great game but it's a gussied up Oblivion which itself was a gussied up Morrowind which was a gussied up Daggerfall.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:It is an interesting aside about this forum that, of the eight games that made it this far, two are nineteen years old. Only three are from this century, and only one is from the past five years.
Part of it is that those are probably the games we were able to sink the time into when we were younger...
I also considered that as I was making my choices. I was MUCH less...hurried when I played those games (minus Civ IV), and could spend the contiguous hours that IMO REALLY enjoying some of those titles to the fullest, requires. Just not the same to play through a large game over the course of a year, for instance.

But also, tastes in games have changed, and certainly the PACE of games seems to have changed in terms of what the majority of people buying games are willing to play. Everything streamlined, edited out, cut down to simplify to appeal to the largest audience possible. Not at all saying "modern games BAD, old games GOOD", just that the consumer has changed enough over the years to affect the games themselves, and many gamers on here are oldsters like me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still think the first Master of Orion is the best game ever made.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So far in the voting I am picking all of the losers.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Blackhawk wrote:
Hipolito wrote: On the other hand, I've never given the Baldur's Gate games a shot. I've been thinking about doing so, but I'm not sure whether to dive into the original versions on GOG.com or the enhanced versions from Beamdog. I hear the enhanced versions are problematic.
The originals, installed via BG1Tutu (gives BG1 the BG2 engine and fixes.)
Sounds good. Thanks.
Carpet_pissr wrote: I also considered that as I was making my choices. I was MUCH less...hurried when I played those games (minus Civ IV), and could spend the contiguous hours that IMO REALLY enjoying some of those titles to the fullest, requires. Just not the same to play through a large game over the course of a year, for instance.

But also, tastes in games have changed, and certainly the PACE of games seems to have changed in terms of what the majority of people buying games are willing to play. Everything streamlined, edited out, cut down to simplify to appeal to the largest audience possible. Not at all saying "modern games BAD, old games GOOD", just that the consumer has changed enough over the years to affect the games themselves, and many gamers on here are oldsters like me.
I agree. Looking at my nominees, I favor games that move at a glacial pace, that set the player out to explore without much guidance or feedback. Such games are a wee minority today.

Some interesting recent developments in this round. I believe both Alpha Centauri and Civ 4 were leading in their matches, but now they're losing. Can Sid Meier regain the lead? Is xenofungus pink?