Ascension Card Game?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Ralph-Wiggum

Ascension Card Game?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Hey guys,
I've been playing a lot of the iOS version of Ascension: Chronicle of the Gods and I've been thinking about getting a hard copy to play with friends. However, there are so many expansions that I'm unsure which would be the best to start with. Has anyone played the expansions and have an opinion on which would be best to start. Considering some of the new game mechanics, I think it would be good to go for something other than the original game but each expansion seems to have their pluses and minuses. For example, the newest version Ascension: Rise of The Vigil looks pretty cool, but I've read that if played by itself there aren't all that many monsters in the deck. Ideally, I would get one of the games that could be played with 2 - 4 players, rather than one that needs an additional expansion to play with 3 or 4 people. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Re: Ascension Card Game?

Post by Zarathud »

I would start with Storm of Souls and add Immortal Heroes later. The new mechanic adds a little time to each game, but it's more interesting.

The basic set of Chronicle makes for a little quicker games and pairs with Return of the Fallen later. They're designed to be played as blocks with a 2-4 player main set, then a 1-2 player expansion. I haven't played the newest set.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Ascension Card Game?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zarathud wrote:I would start with Storm of Souls and add Immortal Heroes later. The new mechanic adds a little time to each game, but it's more interesting.
Perfect - that's what I ended up buying yesterday afternoon (I had to order by yesterday in order to get it before a trip on Friday). Went ahead and got Storm of Souls along with Immortal Heroes. Now it'll just be a matter of convincing people to play with me....
Black Lives Matter