Best Game of All Time Tournament: NES Pro Wrestling wins!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Hipolito

Best Game of All Time Tournament: NES Pro Wrestling wins!

Post by Hipolito »

OK OK, the winner of the 2013 Octopus Overlords Best Game of All Time Tournament is ...

Enlarge Image

Over the course of the tournament, Baldur's Gate II defeated Final Fantasy VI, Tetris, Master of Orion, Dragon Age: Origins, Planescape: Torment, Civilization IV, and, in the finale, X-COM: UFO Defense to become the Greatest Game of All Time!

Thank you all for your participation, support, and enthusiasm. I hope you found the BGOLFY and BGOAT tournaments as fun and exciting as I did. I think I have either chaired or assisted with every one of these tournaments since we started them in the Gone Gold era. If we are to have another tournament in the future, it should have a fresh face and new ideas. I am therefore retiring from the self-appointed position of Tourney Master and leaving the reins to whoever wishes to take them.

This tournament is adjourned!
AWS260

Re: Best Game of All Time Tournament: NES Pro Wrestling wins

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks so much for organizing this, Hipolito. It was a blast. Even if the wrong game won.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote:Thanks so much for organizing this, Hipolito. It was a blast. Even if the wrong game won.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Yeah, it was fun. Most of my favorites didn't even make it to the first round but that's okay.

One of them was this older game called Armadillo Run, here's some teaser images from the game in the very likely chance you've never heard of it. Maybe not the best game of all time, but certainly in the top 20 :). Highly recommended for anyone who likes or thinks they might like Kerbel Space Program.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Some highlights from the dual tournaments that surprised me:

- The bottom-seeded Fallout: New Vegas winning BGOLFY. I'm guessing that people just forgot about FNV during the nomination process for one reason or another, causing it to get few nominations and therefore a low seed. Then, when they saw it in the bracket, they thought, "Oh yeah, I loved that game!" and voted for it enthusiastically.
- X-COM losing to BG2. When we did the first tournament on Gone Gold, X-COM won (and I'm pretty sure that BG2 had been released by then, so it was probably in the tournament). But now, BG2 beats X-COM.
- BGOLFY was rough enough on console games, and BGOAT even worse. There were only 4 console exclusives in the 64-game BGOAT tournament, all eliminated by Round 3. And in Baldur's Gate II vs. Final Fantasy VI, we pitted one of the most acclaimed PC RPGs against one of the most acclaimed console RPGs. The result? A total shutout against FF6. Ouch.
- In both tournaments, there was not a single nomination for our most completed game of 2012, Diablo III.
- It's been noted before, but all 5 of our previous tournament winners made it to the BGOAT Elite Eight. We play them all, but we don't forget our favorites!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well, I guess now it's time to have the Best Movie of All Time Tournament! Or TV show - either will do. Back to work, Hipolito! :wink:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Well, I guess now it's time to have the Best Movie of All Time Tournament! Or TV show - either will do. Back to work, Hipolito! :wink:
Braveheart

Sherlock

That was easy.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Well, I guess now it's time to have the Best Movie of All Time Tournament! Or TV show - either will do. Back to work, Hipolito! :wink:
Well, we did have a Miss NSFW Pageant. How about a Mr. NSFW Pageant?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Hipolito wrote: - The bottom-seeded Fallout: New Vegas winning BGOLFY. I'm guessing that people just forgot about FNV during the nomination process for one reason or another, causing it to get few nominations and therefore a low seed. Then, when they saw it in the bracket, they thought, "Oh yeah, I loved that game!" and voted for it enthusiastically.
For me it was more about not paying close enough attention to your rules. I didn't realize that games would be seeded based on # of nominations so didn't nominate a game if I had seen it had already been nominated several times.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

LordMortis wrote:
Braveheart

Sherlock

That was easy.
You spelled Bladerunner and Doctor Who wrong.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
malichai11

Post by malichai11 »

Chaosraven wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Braveheart

Sherlock

That was easy.
You spelled Bladerunner and Doctor Who wrong.
You're right, he DID spell Bladerunner wrong. But you both misspelled Breaking Bad. Though Sherlock is absolutely amazing. It's more like 5 good movies and 1 meh film though as opposed to a TV show.