[Boardgame] Eldritch Horror

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Markstrink

Re: [Boardgame] Eldritch Horror

Post by Markstrink »

Working on the last clue to defeat Azathoth. All we had to do was wait for the gate to hit the omen counter and close it. The mythos deck sent us BOTH to the Bermuda Triangle. Which wasn't to bad. We started to work our way back. Somewhere while sailing together on the ocean. My dark pact was called in. I then murdered my partner. Leaving me no way to close the gate and defeat the spawn in two turns. :( best game yet and by far best ending. Even though we lost it was in very typical lovecraft/cthulhu fation. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Markstrink wrote: And. For Azatoth. You place a eldritch counter on the green space. Does that mean each time the omen goes over it, it spawns a gate?
No. When the omen goes over it, you advance the doom by one. Gates spawn from the mythos cards.

Clue tokens are not replenished when they are solved, as Hep said. However, you can add them to the board outside of just the mythos cards - in particular, the London events deck adds clues.

Some of the investigators can sub sanity for clues or generate a clue when they have none.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

baelthazar wrote:
Markstrink wrote: And. For Azatoth. You place a eldritch counter on the green space. Does that mean each time the omen goes over it, it spawns a gate?
No. When the omen goes over it, you advance the doom by one. Gates spawn from the mythos cards.

Clue tokens are not replenished when they are solved, as Hep said. However, you can add them to the board outside of just the mythos cards - in particular, the London events deck adds clues.

Some of the investigators can sub sanity for clues or generate a clue when they have none.
Does the doom counter only go down when it advances over the eldritch sign on the omen tracker? Or does doom advance every turn?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Doom is advanced every time the omen tracker advances over a new symbol and there's a gate open with the same symbol. In the case of Azatoth, doom advances an additional +1 for each counter on the green comet space.I guess it's possible to add more counters to that space via cards or game actions, but in the half dozen games I've played, I never saw it. So if you have three comet gates open, it doom would advance by 4 that turn.

Doom can be advanced during other events like cards or reckoning effects on some monsters. When an investigator is defeated (insane or incapacitated), the doom counter advances one.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Yes I had seen some doom advances cards. I know when a investigator dies, it does as well.

I just say here this morning with my coffee and took a Plano, plastic partitioned container, and seperated all my tokens that way, should make for a much easier set up. As well as a much less cluttered table.
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

After managing a few lucky rolls and a amazingly close placement, I solved two clues in about turns. Then the wind walker appeared. So splitting my two investigators, I arrived on his last turn on the board. And the other investigator one space away from the final clue. And didn't kill the walker so each investigator died. :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

One of the things I enjoy in this game is how they handle dead investigators. You can send living investigators to the spot they died and have a story encounter that adds some interesting narrative to their plights. Plus, you can loot their carcasses.
Covfefe!
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Yea. That is really neat. We had a game about halfway through yesterday and gf's dark pact got her investigator devoured. :)
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

We managed to finally down Azatoth. 5 doom left. We got lucky with the mythos cards. We had like three gates open and none in a crucial area. Antarctica almost got us. That mythos card where you add a monster and when it has four you lose. It had three and luckily we passed the name azatoth mystery right before the end of the turn. We had the martial artist and the fighter guy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Really? I get to be first on this? Forsaken Lore expansion announced:
Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce Forsaken Lore, an expansion for Eldritch Horror. Forsaken Lore adds over two hundred new cards to Eldritch Horror, including over one hundred new Encounter cards, twenty condition cards, and fourteen new mysteries.

The fate of the world grows even more uncertain as the malignant influence of Yig, the Father of Serpents, extends across the globe. Previously defeated Ancient Ones attempt to reclaim the world once again, forcing Investigators to solve new mysteries to keep them at bay. All the while, terrible new Epic Monsters and dangerous new Encounters keep Investigators racing across the globe to stave off the collapse of the world.
Coming Q2
Markstrink

Post by Markstrink »

Nice. I wouldn't mind seeing one or two new investigators. Thanks for the update though. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Played a two-investigator adventure on Friday night and lost spectacularly in Round 9 thanks to the Spinner of Webs. Quite frankly, those type of events are really getting old. I made it up to Greenland in time to fight, but failed the initial sanity check and was unable to use a blessed character armed with a .38 to actually fight because of it. Next turn, game over.

I will say that having Silas fight a monster on his first turn, lose two sanity and then go completely insane at the end of the round during one of the doom cycle effects was a great start to the game. He didn't even make it one turn!

I am really looking forward to more cards...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From GenCon -- Mountains of Madness expansion due in Q4 for $60. Seems pretty beefy.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:From GenCon -- Mountains of Madness expansion due in Q4 for $60. Seems pretty beefy.
Nice! Although, boo... I will have to spend money on eight more FFG Arkham Horror minis! :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I saw this announced elsewhere and was disappointed that this wasn’t an expansion for Mansions of Madness. :(