Best Buy Pre-Orders

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

infoghost

Best Buy Pre-Orders

Post by infoghost »

I've never done one of these before (buy one of the 10$ boxes BB sells as pre-orders) but I grabbed the Guild Wars one today.

How does the 'pre-order' part work at BB? Do I get 10$ off the retail game when it's released? I guess I'd just bring in the reciept? There was nothing in the box or anything regarding this. Or is it just a way for them to get 10 extra bucks off me?
Charlatan

Re: Best Buy Pre-Orders

Post by Charlatan »

infoghost wrote:I've never done one of these before (buy one of the 10$ boxes BB sells as pre-orders) but I grabbed the Guild Wars one today.

How does the 'pre-order' part work at BB? Do I get 10$ off the retail game when it's released? I guess I'd just bring in the reciept? There was nothing in the box or anything regarding this. Or is it just a way for them to get 10 extra bucks off me?
From what I've seen, you bring in your receipt that shows you pre-paid, and you get a discount of the same amount when purchasing the game. I'm not sure if they hold back any copies or anything like that.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I've never pre-ordered anything from Best Buy. The one near me usually doesn't get games on release day anyway, unless it's a huge title. I couldn't even get Sims 2 on release day at my Best Buy.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

I preorder the Frozen Throne there in order to get the free figure. All you get is $10 off the price of the game. They don't hold onto the games for you, so you still need to show up early for some games. If you have a rewards card, you can sometimes get bonus points for reservations, but other than that, its just putting $10 toward the payment.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Just Say No

Last year I preordered Armed and Dangerous. When I finally got around to buyin and paying for the game and got up to the check stand to pay for the game, they said I had to go to the customer service desk to get my money back.

It was during the holidays and the customer service desk at Best Buy is always a mess. It's a huge hassle and not worth it.

Because bottom line, games are not a limited commodity. They will always be there at some future date. So unless you are getting a tremedous goodie I would just say no to Best Buy pre orders.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

dangerballs wrote:I preorder the Frozen Throne there in order to get the free figure. All you get is $10 off the price of the game. They don't hold onto the games for you, so you still need to show up early for some games. If you have a rewards card, you can sometimes get bonus points for reservations, but other than that, its just putting $10 toward the payment.
Exactly. I "pre-ordered" Max Payne 2 and they were sold out when I went in to get it. I did the same thing for Deus Ex: IW (though they were not sold out) and returned it unopened. I was only credited the price - $10 since I did not return the pre-order item - pretty expensive shirt. I will never "pre-order" from Best Buy, CompUSA, or Fry's.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
infoghost

Post by infoghost »

Thanks. To be clear, I didn't buy it to RESERVE it - I just wanted the beta access and whatnt, and since I am buying it anyhow, I figured what harm could it do. I've never reserved a game to 'make sure I have a copy' as there are always plenty to be found.

I just wanted the extra stuff.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I never pre-order. When was the last time a game actually sold out?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dirt wrote:I never pre-order. When was the last time a game actually sold out?
I almost never do either. I made an exception when Amazon was pre-selling Battle for Middle Earth for $15 a couple of months ago (the game will sell for $50 when it comes out in December).
Hansey

Post by Hansey »

I rarely pre-order either, however, the hubby and I recentky pre-ordered the World of Warcraft Collectors Edition (a copy each). I know there won't be any problem getting our hands on a copy of World of Warcraft come release day, but we weren't entirely certain about the availability of the CE... remember what happened with the UT2K4 DVD edition?

Anyway, we *didn't* pre-order from Best Buy... they didn't even have it available for pre-order, and I guess I'm glad because I didn't realize the hassle involved.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Once I noticed that the local Best Buy got a good portion of their PC games in close to a week after the regular game stores (i.e. Software Etc.) I decided to pass on their "pre-order" deals. Hey, at least with the other guys, they reserved a copy for me and the game was there the day it was released...
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Dirt wrote:I never pre-order. When was the last time a game actually sold out?
Madden 2005 Xbox at my local EB. They only had pre-order copies in on release day. I was out of luck walking in off the street.