Zombicide... I think we're doing it wrong.

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Sudy

Zombicide... I think we're doing it wrong.

Post by Sudy »

He claimed we were following the scenario's rules. I wasn't so sure.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
coopasonic

Re: Zombicide... I think we're doing it wrong.

Post by coopasonic »

please tell me you have a molotov handy
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It was... an odd and perhaps poorly designed scenario. Possibly one we weren't playing properly. I didn't ask to see the rules. But we started out in a mall with only one exit. And the zombies were drawn toward the door. My friend, whom I'd consider the gamemaster, insisted we wait behind the locked door until we found gasoline to create a molotov. It must have taken 20 rounds. But when we finally got there, it was instant red-zone.

The game took like five hours.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The scenarios generally assume you don't turtle. That pic is what happens when you sit for 20 turns. Scenarios usually give you a constant stream of zombies.

Was there ANY way the zombies could get to you? If so, they should have tried the long way if needed.

The Gencon/Origins demo tables had a running tally of most zombies killed by molotov. Some of the numbers were obscene, so this is not impossible.

The game balance is once one person kills all those zombies with a Molotov, only one person levels up to Red. Then everyone has to face a stream of Red danger zombies each turn with only one player is leveled up.

I have walked players in our group through kiting zombies to the player with the least XP for this reason.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yep been there before. The game is much more fun if you don't sit around and wait. You probably played the rules right though, heck I've seen even worse without sitting around in terms of number of zombies. But sitting around makes the game beyond boring. I always figure I would rather lose in a blaze of glory than sit around and win in boring fashion. The game has it's ups and downs depending on which scenario you play though.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

For example this is the last game I played. We made it a bit too hard it turns out. That's without sitting around at all either. I still really enjoyed that game even though we lost horribly.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Zarathud wrote:Was there ANY way the zombies could get to you? If so, they should have tried the long way if needed.
Literally none. The design of the scenario with the bottleneck and no zombie spawns behind our own spawn seemed poor. With the weapons we had it would probably have been suicide to open the door before we found the molotov ingredients, and it was just our luck the gasoline was buried near the bottom of the item deck.

A better look at the layout:

Our games usually devolve into frustration over ambiguous rules and our exploitation of a seemingly overpowered mechanic leading to an overly delayed triumph. In this case, it was Watts's "shove" ability.