Your favorite Tabletop game of all time?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

miltonite

Re: Your favorite Tabletop game of all time?

Post by miltonite »

Wiz-war

Hands down this is my favorite game. Plenty of strategy and lots of action as well. It has the TCG aspect where you are drawing from a deck for your spells, the wargame aspect where you have a mini and can try to kill the other players and the strategy to know when to grab a treasure chest and run or stand your ground and fight. With 4 people it is fun I would assume that in a 2 player game it would lose some of the frantic feel of spells flying everywhere.

I bought it on a whim one day and could not be happier with that choice.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Probably Diplomacy. Back in high school we played every week, had a full group of 7 players and it was always new. The problem is that Diplomacy takes a very special group of people to play and if you don’t have them, it goes from being one of the best games to one of the worst. Unfortunately, since graduation I’ve only gotten to play it a couple times because most of my local friends are the type that will never talk to you again after playing Diplomacy with them.

Lately though I’ve become a big fan of Chaos in the Old World and it seems to be a hit with my friends. It’s a 4 player (5 with expansion) game in which you play as each of the Warhammer Chaos (evil) gods. The ultimate goal is to corrupt and dominate the world of humans before your fellow gods do the same. What makes it really interesting is each god has its own play style and mode of winning.
Enlarge Image
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I really need to pick up another copy of Chaos in the Old World. That game's better than I gave it credit for when I gave it away.

Kinda sad they changed the box art. I really liked the old brown art, while the new OMG NURGLE one is maybe a bit over the top.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

As much as I love Cosmic Encounter, I have to go with

DIVINE RIGHT as my absolute favorite.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

Twilight Struggle & War of the Ring are in the running. Though i love miniatures, especially spaceships but there isn't one system that i think of as best. I have had the most fun playing Blood Bowl in leagues.

Blood Bowl wins.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Chaosraven wrote:As much as I love Cosmic Encounter, I have to go with

DIVINE RIGHT as my absolute favorite.
I wondered if Divine Right would pop up here. I played the crap out of that game in college. :clap:
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
PLW

Post by PLW »

Bridge. Especially duplicate with a good partner, although I haven't played in too long.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Titan.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Scoop20906

Your favorite Tabletop game of all time?

Post by Scoop20906 »

This is a great thread. I don't have all time favorite since I play games based on mood and friend participation but I've played the hell out of Descent for several years in the past.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Seasons.

Everything just clicks, dunno why.

Mageknight a close second though ^^
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

EzeKieL wrote:Seasons.

Everything just clicks, dunno why.

Mageknight a close second though ^^
I see what you did there.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Chaz wrote:Dunno, that thing sells for $200+. That buys a lot of awesome.
ARRRRRGH my mom stealth-sold our copy for a couple of dollars a few years back :x :x

i wonder if she did the same thing with my "Real Ghostbusters" game... at least i still have HeroQuest.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

and to answer the topic, all-time favorite would be Go. chess (or some variant) would likely be second.

for modern games, i realllly like RoboRally.