Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition [Kickstarter]

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition [Kickstarter]

Post by Zaxxon »

Despite our cOOllective love of Werewolf games, the Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition Kickstarter seems to have gone unnoticed thus far. I just stumbled across it this evening and am in at the base + Artifacts expansion level. This looks like it's named appropriately and is the ultimate version of Werewolf to have for real-life playing of the game.

And it's kind of hilarious that there's a stealth Tom Vasel role card included. :dance:

Anyone else going to jump on this one?
Zarathud

Re: Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition [Kickstarter]

Post by Zarathud »

I was tempted by the one-night version, but this makes my brain hurt.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:I was tempted by the one-night version, but this makes my brain hurt.
How so?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've resisted getting any Werewolf games so far, but the price is right for this one, so I'll jump on board. If nothing else it will be fun for Scouts.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That was kind of my thought process: I don't have any of the prior Werewolf games, and the base pledge level here is a great deal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I can barely handle dealing with the number of people necessary to play The Resistance. Werewolf in person would have me in an all out panic attack. Add to that something of an inability to read emotions, masked or otherwise and it's really not the game for me.

It loosk really cool though and I am tempted just because of that. All of the different art.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Zaxxon wrote:This looks like it's named appropriately and is the ultimate version of Werewolf to have for real-life playing of the game.
I already own the third edition of the game, but I can confirm that it certainly lives up to its name. So I'm also in for the base game + artifacts expansion.

I'd say It's worth buying for the rulebook alone, as Alspach puts great effort into sharing from his own wealth of experience with the game, and it clearly shows. With higher quality sleevable cards and even better artwork, this is absolutely the definitive version to own for playing real-life games of Werewolf.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We could ease you in at the late-night DGM.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:This looks like it's named appropriately and is the ultimate version of Werewolf to have for real-life playing of the game.
I already own the third edition of the game, but I can confirm that it certainly lives up to its name. So I'm also in for the base game + artifacts expansion.

I'd say It's worth buying for the rulebook alone, as Alspach puts great effort into sharing from his own wealth of experience with the game, and it clearly shows. With higher quality sleevable cards and even better artwork, this is absolutely the definitive version to own for playing real-life games of Werewolf.
Cool--that's the feel I got from my own research, but it's good to have it confirmed by someone who has actually played. Now onto the important question--which ArtPack to choose?
Anonymous Bosch

Zaxxon wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Now onto the important question--which ArtPack to choose?
Good question. Personally, I'm leaning towards either the Nick Nestor or George Patsouras ArtPacks.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Now onto the important question--which ArtPack to choose?
Good question. Personally, I'm leaning towards either the Nick Nestor or George Patsouras ArtPacks.
I like both of those, along with Azzedar. And I'm itching to see the Doris Matthaus when it's revealed.

Must... resist urge... to upgrade to 5-pack pledge level...
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

I just started playing this with my students this year, so the new version was great news. But I have no idea what art pack to choose. So many choices.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I imagine that this would be quite interesting in a classroom setting.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

One Night Ultimate Werewolf add-ons and a neat wooden box were added today. I can't imagine being serious enough about the game to need that box, but it does look cool.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The latest update details the other half of the Wolfpack expansion. Kind of hilarious.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All stretch goals have been achieved. Bit less than a day remaining, soi we may get another. If so, my guess is it'll be something minor like additional art.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Well, Zaxxon does it to me again. I have now backed yet another game on kickstarter because of him. I am in for $25.

In all fairness, I do absolutely love playing the resistance when I can get enough people together and this is just 1 step further than the resistance so it is a game I should own. This is however the last time I go into a thread that Zaxxon started that even mentions kickstarter. I am no match for my addiction plus the forum effect.

I am leaning towards the Gus Batts art pack. I like the cartoony look. It reminds me a lot of Mike (Gabe) from Penny Arcade's art.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Woot.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I don't have a werewolf game in my collection yet, been thinking of getting one for big groups, so I'm in.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Well I don't have a werewolf game in my collection yet, been thinking of getting one for big groups, so I'm in.
Sweet.

Another bonus card was just added at $125k.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Surveys about to go out. I think I am going with the Gus Batts art pack. It is still my favorite out of all the options.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Anonymous Bosch

miltonite wrote:Surveys about to go out. I think I am going with the Gus Batts art pack. It is still my favorite out of all the options.
I ended up opting for the Gus Batts art pack myself, so I concur.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I went with George Patsouras.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zaxxon wrote:I went with George Patsouras.
Ditto.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

miltonite wrote:Surveys about to go out. I think I am going with the Gus Batts art pack. It is still my favorite out of all the options.
I did the same.
Anonymous Bosch

The most recent project update has an interesting breakdown of the various ArtPack choices' popularity:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All of the things. Production has started.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Did anyone get their cards yet?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have not, although I've seen numerous comments on the KS pages that others have. Expecting mine any day.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Did anyone get their cards yet?
Mine showed up today, so hopefully yours is not far behind.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Mine also showed up today. It was a happy surprise.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Be nice if this came in this week. I'll be heading off to camp on Sunday with about 14 Boy Scouts. I think we could have some fun with this...
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:Be nice if this came in this week. I'll be heading off to camp on Sunday with about 14 Boy Scouts. I think we could have some fun with this...
I just received mine today, maybe they went by state and you will get yours too.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mine came today. You all want to come over and play?
Anonymous Bosch

Received my order today.

Any sign of yours yet, Hentzau? It'd be interesting to hear an AAR if you're able to use U.W. during your Boy Scouts camping trip.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I did get it. We've been so busy that we haven't had a chance to break it out. I only brought the basic set with me, and put it in a water proof container for safe keeping. Hoping that we can play some tonight.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Somehow we never got around to playing. The boys were always running, and I was in training most of every day.

We have a lock-in with the scouts coming up soon, I think I'll have to break it out then.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote:Somehow we never got around to playing. The boys were always running, and I was in training most of every day.

We have a lock-in with the scouts coming up soon, I think I'll have to break it out then.
Don't forget to have a butcher's at the manual/rulebook. There's a wealth of great tips and advice to be found in there.