Family Board Games

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kurth

Family Board Games

Post by Kurth »

Was going to buy some games for the family for Valentine's Day. Kids are 10, 8 and 6. Would you recommend any of the following:

Spy Alley
City Square Off
Forbidden Desert (or Island)
Pastiche (thinking my art history wife may enjoy)
Hive

Of maybe something else? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
AWS260

Re: Family Board Games

Post by AWS260 »

Forbidden Island is great and very family-friendly.

Hive is an abstract strategy game, like chess. It's very good, but whether or not it's family-friendly depends on your family.

I can't speak to the others.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I wouldn't recommend pastiche. It's a fun concept, but I found it very dry so I can't see little kids enjoying it.

Forbidden Island is good, and I've only gotten one game of Forbidden Desert in, but it was fun the one time we played.

My go-to family board game recommendation though is Castle Panic. A fun co-op family tower defense game.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree with Castle Panic. Great family game.

Forbidden Island over Forbidden Desert. They're similar, but Forbidden Desert is a much harder game to win, which can be frustrating for kids.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'd agree with hentzau's recommendation of Castle Panic -- definitely a top-notch family game.

Ticket to Ride also makes for a great family game in my experience. There's something about trains that always seems to resonate with children in particular, and Ticket to Ride is renowned as a great gateway game for a reason.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hentzau wrote:I wouldn't recommend pastiche. It's a fun concept, but I found it very dry so I can't see little kids enjoying it.

Forbidden Island is good, and I've only gotten one game of Forbidden Desert in, but it was fun the one time we played.

My go-to family board game recommendation though is Castle Panic. A fun co-op family tower defense game.
hentzau wrote:I wouldn't recommend pastiche. It's a fun concept, but I found it very dry so I can't see little kids enjoying it.

I actually had Pastiche in my hands today at the game store and thought better of it. First, it was $60. Second, it did look kind of dry.

I ended up going with Forbidden Desert, City Square Off, Hive and Spy Alley.

Just played our first game of Spy Alley. A huge hit. The tension was through the roof when the field was down to my 8 year old daughter facing off against my 10 year old son. He had been diligently working to fill out his card with Russian equipment. She and I were sure he was a Ruskie. We guessed. We were wrong. He won!!! Awesome fun.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳