[Kickstarter] oddball Aeronauts

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

spelk

[Kickstarter] oddball Aeronauts

Post by spelk »

I've always liked +Lloyd Ash Pyne's artwork, and his work on the card game War for Edath, well the Pyne brothers have a new card game out on Kickstarter called oddball Aeronauts

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ll ... -pendragon

and it looks like a handful of groovey quick strategy playable almost anywhere. The artwork looks to be coming on, and this deserves backing - so consider me in!

Oh also, its got Pirates in it, Airship battling Pirates.. what other reason do you need?

You have 19 days to get your pledge in!

http://youtu.be/vduRk4zlq54

See also:

http://themaverickmuse.com/
spelk
spelk

Re: [Kickstarter] oddball Aeronauts

Post by spelk »

They've made it! Funded with 14 days left to go, so I expect the stretch goals will be the main focus now.

I think the ease of play and the fact you play the whole game with the deck in your hands - makes it ideal for portable situations, train, car, ski chairlift etc

As a backer I've been given access to the colour print and play developer card set - so I've printed them off and have played a game or two, and I must say its nice to have a thinking mans card game with straight forward rules that plays out in 15 minutes or so, and doesn't need a tabletop to play it!

Theres an interplay between cards in the deck in your hand, because you can use cards deeper that the top card - but using them to win a battle will eat away at your overall crew numbers, so its a balance between going for it, and holding back, sometimes giving up a battle for the sake of miserly defense of your crew. Then you have to interplay of the different types of attack, and the rewards from the combat, weigh up hitting your opponent for 2 card discards, or greedily re-deploying two of your tapped cards, or settling for the 1 redeploy, 1 loss for your enemy trade off.

its a deeper version of top trumps, where you dig into your own deck to support your top card, and whilst doing so, you're using up your crew resource, which is how a win or loss is measured. If you lose all your crew, tapped and discarded to the bottom of your deck, you lose your airship to the other captain. Theres a fine balance between boosting your current fight with other crew members and trying to conservatively save crew members so you don't blow all your crew at once.

Each crew member also has a special, that affects the stats of the different types of combat (sailing, boarding or gunnery), and a victory in each of these results in a different outcome (sailing lets you recover two crew members from the top of your discards, gunnery blasts two of the enemy crew members out of their hand(airship) and into the discards, and boarding affords you one recover, and the enemy one discard. So regardless of the stats of the three types, you also have a pressure to make sure you're recovering your crew, or you're wasting the enemy crew, and this changes as the game progresses and battles play out. Its very clever stuff for such simple mechanics.
spelk