[Kickstarter] Pairs

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: [Kickstarter] Pairs

Post by coopasonic »

Got my 4 today. Yay. Not sure what is coming next. Flash Point some expansion or another and Hostage Negotiator I guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My FLGS just got a big box of Pairs decks. I still haven't got mine. :-(
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:My FLGS just got a big box of Pairs decks. I still haven't got mine. :-(
Not cool. :eusa-naughty:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I gave my extra copy of the Shallow Ones to my sister today. I plan to ask John Kovalic to sign card #1. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zaxxon wrote:
hentzau wrote:My FLGS just got a big box of Pairs decks. I still haven't got mine. :-(
Not cool. :eusa-naughty:
I just read on the Kickstarter page that they were shipping them out based on the number of decks. They just shipped the last of the 5 deck pledges, so mine will hopefully be here soon.
Zarathud wrote:I gave my extra copy of the Shallow Ones to my sister today. I plan to ask John Kovalic to sign card #1. :)
Let me know if you need any help with that. I don't know if he's going to be at What Khan weekend after next, but I'm planning on going. I'll find out if he's going to be there and let you know.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

My four decks showed up today.
-mf
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nothing here, alas. Perhaps tomorrow.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My five are here. Falling and Pairs will join Xia on the table tonight.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zaxxon wrote:My five are here. Falling and Pairs will join Xia on the table tonight.
Mine showed up too!

Oh, and Zarathud, John is going to be at Lucca in Italy so he won't be at What Khan next weekend. But if I'm ever in a position to hook up with him I'll let you know.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I had a nice chat with John at Origins when he signed my Kobolds Ate My Baby book. While I hope to catch him again soon, I may still take you up on that offer.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Played this for the first time tonight. Enjoyed it more than I expected to. It moves very quickly, and folks get excited during rounds where people start to press their luck.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Played a few more times this weekend. Still enjoying it quite a bit. Rules can be explained in ten seconds, and even an elimination down to one winner takes a matter of minutes. Everyone I've introduced to it thus far likes it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I shall continue talking to myself. Pulled this out again last night, this time for an extended two-player match. Still love it. I haven't yet tried any of the variants from the companion book, but several of them look promising. Coolstuffinc has most of the decks for <$7 each plus shipping, and I think Pairs is a steal. I've got several decks queued up as Christmas gifts.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, this is going to be handed out to a bunch of folks for Christmas this year. We'll be getting some more games to the table of this soon. Also Falling.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have now purchased a total of 13 decks (including 1 Falling, plus 8 Christmas gifts), and one friend who I gave a deck to early has bought at least 9 more for Christmas gifts.

I may have a problem.

Side note: in case any of you didn't pledge for enough decks to get the printed companion book, you can download it here. Lots of variant rules.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Played Pairs for about an hour yesterday afternoon at our company holiday party. About halfway through the games we switched over to the "continuous" variant. What a great variant! Really changes the dynamic of the game. Highly recommended.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool. The Calamities variant makes for a nice change, as well. Simple to teach.