[Kickstarter] Pairs

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LordMortis

[Kickstarter] Pairs

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ch ... c-pub-game

This looks like it's right up my alley. Now to figure out what my KS password and my Paypal password are after I had to reset them both.

If any local gamers want to go in on this with me to get a deck, let me know before I sign up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: [Kickstarter] Pairs

Post by Zaxxon »

Looks intriguing, and I love me some Kingkiller, so I'm in. Debating a 2nd deck as an easy Christmas grab-bag gift.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And man, multiple Name of the Wind decks available?

<changes pledge to four decks>
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If we get to 200K, we get a Girl Genius deck available. :horse:

(And actually, I'm just hoping we get the Echo Chernik barmaid deck. I LOVE her artwork.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Trending toward $177k right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't see the stretch goals past 100k. Things must have changed. I'm still waiting to see if I am getting deck multiples or if I'm on my own. I'm glad he didn't make limited availability pledges.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:I didn't see the stretch goals past 100k. Things must have changed. I'm still waiting to see if I am getting deck multiples or if I'm on my own. I'm glad he didn't make limited availability pledges.
Update.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

John Kovalic has a deck too? Shit...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:John Kovalic has a deck too? Shit...
You OOctoconners should get a couple of 12-deck sets. :)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I could see playing this with the kids or the family. In for two decks -- one for the kids (Princess) and one for me.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Latest update, for anyone still on the fence.
redrun

Post by redrun »

hentzau wrote:If we get to 200K, we get a Girl Genius deck available. :horse:
Ya know, I was doing pretty good about ignoring this one until I saw this comment...
Sufficient I am to the day.
redrun

Post by redrun »

...followed by this one.

So, LordMortis, are you in and at what level?
Sufficient I am to the day.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Gotta get a lot more pledges before those two hit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

redrun wrote:
...followed by this one.

I haven't done anything yet. I haven't heard from anyone. My access to the world outside is spotty at best right now. Work and home have been giving me the one two kick in the crotch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. It may be worth noting that they recently added new tiers for intermediate #s of decks--you can now get the best pricing ($10/deck) with 6, 8, 9, or 12 decks.

And the current Kicktraq 'trending toward' # is $170k, with a range of $138k-$186k. Girl Genius is at $200k, so it's rather unlikely but not out of the question. Kovalic is $155k, and the highest Rothfuss deck is $130k, nearly guaranteed.

I'm currently in for 2 decks--a Rothfuss and Falling. Could possibly up to 4 once the Faen deck is unlocked.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rothfuss blogged about the project again this AM, meaning $115k and the Princess and Mr. Whiffle deck is pretty much guaranteed to unlock today. And that gets us closer to the Faen deck, which is what I have my eye on...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote:
redrun wrote:
...followed by this one.

I haven't done anything yet. I haven't heard from anyone. My access to the world outside is spotty at best right now. Work and home have been giving me the one two kick in the crotch.
8 Days left.

Options

$16 = one deck which is all I need. Likely the option I will go for unless I need to buy more to shore up an easily ordered number.
$24 = two decks
$33 = three decks
$42 = four decks
$51 = five decks
$60 = six
$80 = eight
$120 = twelve

Note, this is all contingent on my being able to get in to my KS and PayPal accounts...

I am not really art guy nor do I care about the bonus stuff. I just want a deck to play with. That said, I'd get one or more of the following:

Maybe the Modegan Deck because it's actually a different game
Maybe the Goblin Deck
Maybe the Kovalik deck
Maybe the Foglio deck
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I would also consider the Falling deck--it's a completely different game and looks pretty fun to me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:I would also consider the Falling deck--it's a completely different game and looks pretty fun to me.
I never enjoyed falling much but I'm a finicky bitch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I would also consider the Falling deck--it's a completely different game and looks pretty fun to me.
I never enjoyed falling much but I'm a finicky bitch.
<-- n00b who just discovered Cheapass Games with this Kickstarter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Others I know enjoy Falling quite a bit. I think redrun even owns a copy. It's just not for me. I don't know why.

Finicky.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rothfuss' blog did the trick today--it will be the top day of the project so far, and the Faen deck should be unlocked by breakfast.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Aaanndd we have the Faen deck.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And, now trending toward $200k. So there's a chance we could get all twelve decks by the end.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm really interested in finding out the theme for the Kovalic deck.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:I'm really interested in finding out the theme for the Kovalic deck.
Let me see if I can dig something up...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Word that I got back from John (and I'm paraphrasing): "Dunno. Let you know when I do know."

:D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:Word that I got back from John (and I'm paraphrasing): "Dunno. Let you know when I do know."

:D
Now we know (Kovalic):

Other updated samples:

Prof. Elemental:

Phil Foglio (Muse):

Princess Whiffle:

Goblin:

Pirates:

Fruits:

Still no Modegan sample art.

The project continues to bust through stretch goals (Rothfuss blogged again today, which helps). Veronica Belmont and Hank Green will be incorporated into the Faen deck, and Rothfuss will be posting some outtakes of his video along with ringtones.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I got an email with the sample from John about a half hour ago, but was busy dying in, I mean playing, AC IV so I didn't see it. I failed the collective. That Foglio sample is gorgeous!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ok, I'm in for 3 decks. Kovalic's Baby Cthulhu for me, Princess for the kids, and Falling.

Somehow I expected Kovalic would come up with art that I couldn't do without. My fallback would have been the Pirates.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm doing Pirates (gift), TBD (gift), Falling, and one of the Rothfuss decks when the art is all out...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

There are 4 decks that I would love to have. Echo Chernik, Kovalic, Cheyenne Wright, and Phil Foglio. I would also love to get a copy of Falling. But $50? And if we don't get to the Kovalic or Foglio level, then I'm just buying a couple of extra decks that I don't really want!

What's a fella to do???
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All of the stretch goals are essentially assured at this point.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Alright, I'll take your word for it. But if I don't get my Foglio deck, you're buying my gyros at the next OctoCon you make it to.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:Alright, I'll take your word for it. But if I don't get my Foglio deck, you're buying my gyros at the next OctoCon you make it to.
Deal.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Out of nowhere, today is already the top day of the campaign. Does that mean tomorrow hentzau will owe me some gyros?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I say he owes you gyros, just to make sure you make it to the next Octocon!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:I say he owes you gyros, just to make sure you make it to the next Octocon!
Achievement unlocked: Gyros!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

All you have to do is to show up at OctoCon, and the gyros are yours!

Oh, and I played four hands of Pairs over lunch using a 12 Days deck. Loads of fun.