[Kickstarter] Pairs

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: [Kickstarter] Pairs

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:All you have to do is to show up at OctoCon, and the gyros are yours!
Sweet! Won't be this next one, but hope springs eternal.
Oh, and I played four hands of Pairs over lunch using a 12 Days deck. Loads of fun.
Excellent.

They released new and final stretch goals. I find them a bit disappointing (exec summary: @$250k, everyone at $100+ level will get a booklet with variants and backstory, $300k James will release a video literally laughing to the bank) since there's 0 of value to anyone but the big-money supporters. But I guess there's really not much that can be added to a project like this without making it significantly more of a logistical nightmare.
Zarathud

[Kickstarter] Pairs

Post by Zarathud »

Did you tell Zaxxon that we'll be at Jolly Inn playing Pairs and drinking while he eats those Gyros alone?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zarathud wrote:Did you tell Zaxxon that we'll be at Jolly Inn playing Pairs and drinking while he eats those Gyros alone?
Patience, young padawan. At OctoCon there is ample time for many meals.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You must be planning to bring a bottomless stomach and wear Sweat/Yoga pants or Bike shorts. :D The Jolly Inn can be a day's worth of meals.

I plan on getting hepcat smashed so someone can post pictures of him wearing drink umbrellas again.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I actually run to Chicago from Colorado to prepare for excessive consumption at OctoCons...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Via a just-announced more attractive quote from the printer, the booklet will now come in all 5-deck and above pledges rather than ten (if the project hits $250k).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

<continues talking to self>

2 days remain. The project is about to hit $225k, and the $250k stretch goal is likely (and the last one that matters). Also, new art!

Foglio:

Faen:

The rules for the 'Calamities' varient are also included in the full update.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just played another 5 games of this at lunch. The guys are still loving it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Considering backing out of my 4 deck pledge. I am in more for the art than the game, but not sure I need more stuff sittign on my shelf. I really want to break the kickstarter habit. It's hard!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:Considering backing out of my 4 deck pledge. I am in more for the art than the game, but not sure I need more stuff sittign on my shelf. I really want to break the kickstarter habit. It's hard!
I'd grab at least one deck. If you like short fast games like Love Letter, this one scratches the same itch.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lately I have been forced to travel on business more to useless cities (sorry RIC/RVA!) and I am generally in a hotel with coworkers and we end up at a bar watching sports on TV that none of us care about. I have been trying to figure out a game to take with me for just such occasions and I think this might work. That and the Kovalic and Foglio decks have my interest. Not sure on which other decks I would get, possibly NotW and Faen. I need to see if there is a gameplay overview of Falling because maybe I want that instead.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:I need to see if there is a gameplay overview of Falling because maybe I want that instead.
Here you go. Bit of an overview in there, plus links to the full rules.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

He took the bait, yay. :D

Thanks. Falling does look interesting, though perhaps harder to play drunk.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:He took the bait, yay. :D
Was there any doubt?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yea, the other deck art is tempting but I'm going to hold the line at 3. The deck I give to the kids is going to end up incomplete, so I will only keep one deck for each game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another update, with more art. $250k will be broken in the next couple of hours--with 30+ hours remaining. Craziness.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Really liking the cute Princess deck.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I am absolutely on board for that Echo Chernik deck. I love her artwork.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

This one I will not back. I will not back this one... I will not back this one...

I have ventured into this thread 3 times so far and still have not pulled the trigger. I think my resolve has leveled up!
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

miltonite wrote:This one I will not back. I will not back this one... I will not back this one...

I have ventured into this thread 3 times so far and still have not pulled the trigger. I think my resolve has leveled up!
AND LO, DID MILTONITE SUMMON THE ZAXXON OF WALLET ENLIGHTENMENT.

Dude--Kingkiller Chronicles. Or baby Cthulhus--baby Cthulhus!. Or pirates! YARR, THE SHUFFLE BE A' HAPPENIN', SAYS I!
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I posted here. :doh:

NO! I will not!
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:angelic-green:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:
miltonite wrote:This one I will not back. I will not back this one... I will not back this one...

Dude--Kingkiller Chronicles. Or baby Cthulhus--baby Cthulhus!. Or pirates! YARR, THE SHUFFLE BE A' HAPPENIN', SAYS I!
Or a deck of art from the Phil and Dixie guy.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:

Or a deck of art from the Phil and Dixie guy.
Are you not reading Girl Genius???
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote:Are you not reading Girl Genius???
He will always be known for Phil and Dixie in my heart.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

MythAdventures for me (I grew up with Asprins daughter)
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Baby Cthulhu trumps all. Thanks, Kovalic!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We're now trending toward $300k for the first time--not that anyone cares about that stretch goal.

Also, T-14 hours left for miltonite to open his wallet.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Zaxxon wrote:We're now trending toward $300k for the first time--not that anyone cares about that stretch goal.

Also, T-14 hours left for miltonite to open his wallet.
You are making me use the the big guns now.
Plus I just bought 4 games, I can't afford any more right now. Terra Mystica, Forbidden Desert, Hanabi and Gauntlet of Fools was costly enough.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enlarge Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

$14 gets you in with one deck! Go search through your couch cushions!!!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$300k has fallen.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I need to pick 4 decks and I can't decide!

I was expecting to like the NotW deck, but I don't. Now what?

I am thinking Princess, Faen, Pirate and Falling... but what about Baby Cthulhu? What do I drop for that? Can't... decide...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I wound up going with Faen, Modegan, Falling, Pirates, and Baby Cthulhu.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I went with 5. Barmaids, Proferssor Elemental, Baby Cthulhu, Muses and Falling.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

4 decks: 2 Baby Cthulhu, Princess and Falling. I wanted to get the Pirate deck, but the kids are terrified of 2 cards in the very dark Princess deck and don't like the Pirates. They LOVE the Cthulhu and I must have my own copy.
ironwulf

Post by ironwulf »

I was in for 5 decks and my choices ended up being Pirates, Goblins, Barmaids, Professor Elemental and Baby Cthulhu (or what they're looking to be calling the "Shallow Ones")
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I came home to find a package on my chair. My 4 decks of Pairs arrived today.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. Hopefully mine are close behind. It's been a good week for Kickstarter games, with Xia showing late last week, followed by Draco Magi and now Pairs.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Co-worker got his deck last week. He got a single deck, and I got...4?