Sekigahara

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

AWS260

Sekigahara

Post by AWS260 »

Any opinions on Sekigahara? I've read good things elsewhere, so I'm thinking of picking it up during the GMT 50% off sale.
SpaceLord

Re: Sekigahara

Post by SpaceLord »

Timely topic: I just won a copy of this game in a charity auction. It’s a very highly-respected wargame. It’s a block wargame, but it’s not a standard block game: it has no dice, and the blocks don't rotate when they take damage(as in Julius Caesar,etc.)

I just stickered it and set it up to learn it last night, it’s definitely a nice-looking game, and the gameplay is simple enough.

I hope to play it by the weekend, I’ll let you know what my impressions are.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Finally played my copy this weekend. And it was great. The closest analog was the Game of Thrones board game, although this game is almost a zen, minimalist experience.

The genius of the design is that each unit is completely useless without a matching card, unless the stack of units is four times the size of the opponent’s army. For example, in our game, I drew lots of early Tokugawa cards. Which was great, since those units wiped the floor with the opponent’s troops. Unfortunately, these same units mainly sat there for the rest of the game, since you have limited ability to draw cards, and you’ll likely only be reshuffling once during the game.

I highly recommend it for a light-ish wargame with great components, bluffing, and a minimum of fiddly rules.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I ended up ordering it, and just played my first game last night. Well, almost -- we started late and had to call it after Week 5, at which point my wife's Tokugawa was ahead of my Ishida by a single point (but she was totally dominating me in the field). Lots of fun, although it will take a few more plays to wrap my head around the mechanics and use some real strategy.