Anyone here owns/played Agents of SMERSH?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Anyone here owns/played Agents of SMERSH?

Post by $iljanus »

My wife an I both like spy stuff so I was wondering if anyone had any impressions of this game? It looked interesting and could be a way to get my wife to play a board game with me.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Re: Anyone here owns/played Agents of SMERSH?

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote:The Kickstarter thread
Oh wow, thanks Coop. Now to read and see if it sucks.

Edit after reading kickstarter thread: Unfortunately, people seem to like the game and that may mean more money out of my pocket for me. And I can't even yell at Hepcat about it either. But I can yell at the rest of you... :x

:P
Last edited by $iljanus on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I think it's a fun game still. It hasn't hit the table in a long time, though. My one issue with the game is that the scenarios you end up with really don't seem to mesh really that well with the choices you make. So it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot as to what result will crop up when you go on a mission. Makes it hard to pick and choose missions that mesh to your strengths.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat has it. It's a story game with some reward tokens. The trick comes down to guessing how many more missions you need to get the right tokens to win--except some of them are secret. We had a few games where we rocked then flipped over the tokens to find out we were missing what we needed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Turns out there's a kickstarter campaign for a 2nd edition of this game so I ended up backing that which will also come with the expansion and various other assorted goodies. Won't get it till Feb 2015 but I can be patient and play the vast collection of other games that need playing, such as the soon to be at my doorstep Space Hulk: Death Angel card game which from what I've heard is an exercise in pain due to the odds of survival being against you. FOR THE EMPEROR!
Black lives matter!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:Hepcat has it. It's a story game with some reward tokens. The trick comes down to guessing how many more missions you need to get the right tokens to win--except some of them are secret. We had a few games where we rocked then flipped over the tokens to find out we were missing what we needed.
IIRC it got broken out at one of the Mystic Celt outings. The whole end-game/token thing seemed like a lot of educated guessing and gambling. Seemed like players are more along for the ride a lot of time, rather than controlling the game.

Design, presentation, and color/story are top notch though. Fun was certainly had.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Zarathud wrote:Hepcat has it. It's a story game with some reward tokens. The trick comes down to guessing how many more missions you need to get the right tokens to win--except some of them are secret. We had a few games where we rocked then flipped over the tokens to find out we were missing what we needed.
IIRC it got broken out at one of the Mystic Celt outings. The whole end-game/token thing seemed like a lot of educated guessing and gambling. Seemed like players are more along for the ride a lot of time, rather than controlling the game.

Design, presentation, and color/story are top notch though. Fun was certainly had.
That's good. The wife and I enjoy all sorts of espionage themed movies and TV shows so I hope the over the top spy setting will rope my wife into playing. If not, it seems to play well solo.
Black lives matter!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote:If not, it seems to play well solo.
And she can also just enjoy reading all the cards and scenarios if she doesn't want to play.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT