[KS] XenoShyft Onslaught - co-op deckbuilding tower defense

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

[KS] XenoShyft Onslaught - co-op deckbuilding tower defense

Post by coopasonic »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/co ... -onslaught

I swear I am trying to do LESS on kickstarter, but The Dice Tower mentioned this last week and I had to take a look. I watched the TWO HOUR playthrough video of a full game with Rodney Smith and Tom Vasel and some other guy (sorry Steve the game designer) and I don't think I can resist. Apparently it wasn't the first time I looked at it, since I had it starred and got the 48 hour reminder yesterday. Anyway, I think I need to get it. It checks too many boxes for me. Co-op, yeah. Deckbuilder, sweet. Base defense... interesting. I think it may be the first CoolMiniOrNot game that fits in the NOT category. They actually are including a mini with the kickstarter, but it's not part of the game. I guess they just couldn't resist.

Important Note: The pledge does not cover shipping. They are going to charge shipping separately (expected $11 in the US).

More Important Note: This ends tomorrow afternoon so check it out soon if it sounds interesting.

One concern I had was with replayability. It seems like it would be the same game each time, but at the very end of the 2 hour video one of the guys mentions the available equipment changes with each game. Something like 9 out of 25 items each game, so there will be some replayability there. Hopefully there is more elsewhere... but since I hardly play any one game more than 3-4 times a year and often with different people that's not a huge deal.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: [KS] XenoShyft Onslaught - co-op deckbuilding tower defe

Post by coopasonic »

I got it.

You didn't care then and I doubt you'll care now. It came with one mini. I guess you could use it as a first player token. It requires assembly. :doh:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The "Kickstarter exclusive Ajax First Player Token"? I guess you could use it for that. :wink:
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So…is it good? I thought it looked interesting way back when, but a game has to be amazing for me to back/buy it if it supports less than 5 players.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:I got it.

You didn't care then and I doubt you'll care now. It came with one mini. I guess you could use it as a first player token. It requires assembly. :doh:
So when they ask "Cool Mini or Not?" in their company name, for this game, they mean that literally - one cool mini (or not)?

I like CMON, but this one did not draw me in. I could, however, be convinced with positive impressions!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote:So…is it good? I thought it looked interesting way back when, but a game has to be amazing for me to back/buy it if it supports less than 5 players.
Well it supports 6 (with the 5-6 player expansion pack). I played a quick solo game to figure it out. It was fun, but pretty light.I also felt like I got a pretty weak set of items in my game. I didn't face any bosses, but still got my clock cleaned on the first enemy in wave 3 (round 7).

The kickstarter upgrades are pretty nice but totally unnecessary... and the upgraded lanes and playmat don't fit in the box. There are some cards that I think are kickstarter only that impact gameplay, so I'm sure people will be unhappy about that.

I think I like Legendary Encounters better just based on solo learning games. Xenoshyft is a little bit too simple and straightforward. There is tension and mystery in the variety of critters and the various unique things they do and they did manage to get a lot of different effects in there, but it's still just a row of monsters on the left vs a row of troops on the right smashing together in the middle until one or the other runs out. Repeat 9 times per player.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote:The "Kickstarter exclusive Ajax First Player Token"? I guess you could use it for that. :wink:
:doh:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter