[Kickstarter] Start Player Express

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Anonymous Bosch

[Kickstarter] Start Player Express

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

A dice-based, Kickstarter-exclusive version of Ted Alspach's definitive method for selecting start players.

The original version was basically just a little deck of cards that allows you to quickly and easily determine who goes first in practically any game (although an iOS version of Start Player is also available). But if, like me, you'd prefer a dice-based version, bear in mind it will not be sold in stores:
Bezier Games wrote:Way back in the day, 2006 to be exact, Bezier Games' first game was published: Start Player. It was a clever little "game" where someone would draw a card and that card would provide criteria to determine the start player for your next game. It did well, and was eventually picked up by Z-Man and translated into German and Italian. It spawned a sequel called TieBreaker, which consisted of a series of mini games used to determine who breaks ties.

But now, we live in the future, and we don't have time for all that silly card shuffling, flipping and reading. So Start Player Express was born.

Start Player Express consists of custom dice: One die's color determines which of the other dice to look at, as well as the most/least criteria. The matching die has the topic to focus on. It takes less than two seconds to figure out who the start player is, setting a new bar for start player determination time that is unlikely to be bested anytime soon.

Start Player Express is a kickstarter-only game, as the retail cost for it would be way too high after all the markups needed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Re: [Kickstarter] Start Player Express

Post by coopasonic »

I like the playtime.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Clever! Thanks for the heads up. I've got it on my watch list but I think I'll almost certainly back it.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I was coming here to make the same thread. I am already in.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

But how do you decide who rolls the dice?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For just a moment I read the thread title as Planet Express and was excited they were making a game based on Futurama's space delivery.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lordnine wrote:But how do you decide who rolls the dice?
You need Start Player Express Start Player for that.
RMC

Post by RMC »

If I knew my shoe size it would most likely help. I would have to call my wife and ask her what size shoe I wear for this thing.

Is it really that hard to just say, hey Joe it's your game go first... <sigh>
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Looks like they made the stretch goal for the larger 18mm dice.

55 minutes to go for anyone still on the fence...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke