Alright, Where are the M:tG Players?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

The Bad Shepherd

Alright, Where are the M:tG Players?

Post by The Bad Shepherd »

It's simples, I have decided to return. After a lovely email sent by Pyperkub to this profile in...February (I found it just now) why not return? But first, I must discover who here shares the interest in Magic: the Gathering? If you would all be so kind as to tell me, as well as what format you play (and if it is EDH, which general) I would appreciate it. Glad to be back, though I have limited internet. For myself:
Standard: Ditched it until Warlords of Tarkir. Was playing U/W/R control, though I have also played Naya, Grixis Superfriends, and even played monoblack before it became a thing. Probably will pick up a U/B superfriends come October.
Modern: Need more money first.
Legacy: The king's format. Need more money.
EDH: Thraximundar (Grixis) though I have also ran Jeleva. Prefer the latter, but I have more emotional attachment to the former.

Everyone else?
"Shepard." -Wrex
Isgrimnur

Re: Alright, Where are the M:tG Players?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Start with Chaosraven. Then head over here.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Glad you're back! Have fun with the The Magic Of The Gatherings!
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Current decks built and in use:
(U) Azami
(U/B/R) Nekusar the Mind Razor
(U/B/R) Marchesa the Black Rose
(G/W) Rhys the Redeemed
(G/W) Krond the DawnClad
(W/R) Aroas God of Victory
(R/G) Radha Heir to Keld
(R/B) Wort Boggart Auntie
(U/G) Vorel HullClad
(B/W/G) Ghave

In progress:
(colorless) Karn
(B/G/R) Maelstrom Wanderer
(R/W/G) Rith the Awakener.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I generally only play Limited Format tournaments these days (though my son and I had a great time playtesting and entering a Pauper tourney).

I have a silly Red Green Satyr deck for Standard. Most times we get together and play multiplayer casual decks, often with my "Box of Doom" which has 2 Horde decks, the Vanguard Heroes, the Planes, the Archenemy Schemes, the Theros Block Hero cards, and "mutual equipment" for the "adventuring party".

That last one consists of a collection of artifacts for use by the heroes against the Horde (one is Red Black Dragons and Demons, the other is White Birds).

So occcasionally I will build a Legacy or Modern deck when notified in advance people want to play such, but I got really burned out playing in PTQs, State and Regionals, the cut throat mentality ruins the game for me for the rest of the day, and I decided I wasn't having any fun so I stopped.
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

The Bad Shepherd

Chaosraven wrote:I generally only play Limited Format tournaments these days (though my son and I had a great time playtesting and entering a Pauper tourney).

I have a silly Red Green Satyr deck for Standard. Most times we get together and play multiplayer casual decks, often with my "Box of Doom" which has 2 Horde decks, the Vanguard Heroes, the Planes, the Archenemy Schemes, the Theros Block Hero cards, and "mutual equipment" for the "adventuring party".

That last one consists of a collection of artifacts for use by the heroes against the Horde (one is Red Black Dragons and Demons, the other is White Birds).

So occcasionally I will build a Legacy or Modern deck when notified in advance people want to play such, but I got really burned out playing in PTQs, State and Regionals, the cut throat mentality ruins the game for me for the rest of the day, and I decided I wasn't having any fun so I stopped.
Went to Oregon States, got paired against the only guy who knew for a fact I was running a playset of Counterflux and responded accordingly. Later I got badly color screwed against mono green, would have floored him if I had seen a second white source. It's the only heavy duty tournament I have done so far, though I have done well in various Theros limited (such as splitting for first in JOU sealed) and taking first in JOU games day and netting one of the most metal playmats I have ever seen.
The cutthroat mentality is really interesting. The gamestore here in Klamath winds down over the summer, so I picked EDH up again. A friend of mine did as well, but he's more blatantly competitive and plays the game for the math and proving himself superior aspects. Amusingly, this makes him a poor EDH player, as he negotiates poorly and obviously does not enjoy the "wacky shenanigans." While I make a lot of jokes with friends about hating "fucking casuls" I actually quite understand the appeal of just playing for fun.
...But I didn't pay for the collection of FNM promos from the last few months either. One day I'd love to go to a few PTQs, but it's rather remote just now. Also, I have come to really hate this standard.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Hating the current Standard is a time honored tradition, going back to Mirage Block Prosperous Bloom and Urzas Block Tolarian Blue.

What I don't like is the continuing Net.Dec of Rock Paper Scissors that seems to abound since the internet exploded. I enjoy seeing what people have come up with to try out, and discussing other cards that would work well with such a concept. I do not enjoy playing in a group that have all downloaded their decklist from a website of top eight decks and the field is flooded with dozens of copies of the exact same decks.

So I prefer to come up with "Rogue" decks.
"Where are you off to?"

The Bad Shepherd

Chaosraven wrote:Hating the current Standard is a time honored tradition, going back to Mirage Block Prosperous Bloom and Urzas Block Tolarian Blue.

What I don't like is the continuing Net.Dec of Rock Paper Scissors that seems to abound since the internet exploded. I enjoy seeing what people have come up with to try out, and discussing other cards that would work well with such a concept. I do not enjoy playing in a group that have all downloaded their decklist from a website of top eight decks and the field is flooded with dozens of copies of the exact same decks.

So I prefer to come up with "Rogue" decks.
Preach it brother! Even though my "Rogue" decks inevitably devolve into "Grixis with a lot Planeswalkers."
This format, I was amusingly able to predict both the rise of mono black and mono blue, even purchasing three master of waves (one foil) before Mono U made its debut. The foil went from $14 to $36 in a few days. So that was cool.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Awwww.... :wub:

Welcome back!

Used to play Magic a fair amount, but started playing sealed deck tourneys only after awhile. Started when Legends came out, can't quite remember when I stopped. Still have a couple of shoeboxes of cards in the garage.

I did go through the Magic 2013 iPad game, and have 2014, but haven't tried it...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Pyperkub wrote:Awwww.... :wub:

Welcome back!

Used to play Magic a fair amount, but started playing sealed deck tourneys only after awhile. Started when Legends came out, can't quite remember when I stopped. Still have a couple of shoeboxes of cards in the garage.

I did go through the Magic 2013 iPad game, and have 2014, but haven't tried it...
Sell me your cards.
"Where are you off to?"

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Or give them to me out of the kindness of your heart. :ninja:
The Bad Shepherd

Currently running fourteen planeswalker (and Tibalt) in my EDH deck. Still need to pick up a Liliana of the Veil and a Karn Liberated. Also, that new Jace. I think I'll skip the first two Chandras though, happy with Firebrand and Pyromaster.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

The Bad Shepherd wrote:Currently running fourteen planeswalker (and Tibalt) in my EDH deck. Still need to pick up a Liliana of the Veil and a Karn Liberated. Also, that new Jace. I think I'll skip the first two Chandras though, happy with Firebrand and Pyromaster.
what commander?
"Where are you off to?"

The Bad Shepherd

Chaosraven wrote:
The Bad Shepherd wrote:Currently running fourteen planeswalker (and Tibalt) in my EDH deck. Still need to pick up a Liliana of the Veil and a Karn Liberated. Also, that new Jace. I think I'll skip the first two Chandras though, happy with Firebrand and Pyromaster.
what commander?
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge. Round here Thraximundar gets treated as a legitimate threat, but everyone just finds Jeleva annoying. Also, they hate countering/killing her because I will deliberately cast her again to exile more of our libraries and piss people off.
Thrax just kills things :/
"Shepard." -Wrex
The Bad Shepherd

Current Planeswalkers:
Jace Beleren
Jace, Architect of Thought
Jace, Memory Adept
Jace, Mind Sculptor (May as well be called "Pants Browner" from some of the reactions I've got playing him)
Chandra, Pyromaster
Chandra the Firebrand
Liliana Vess
Liliana of the Dark Realms
Ral Zarek (Favorite Planeswalker)
Sorin Markov
Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
Dack Fayden
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
"Shepard." -Wrex
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Proliferate? For the Planeswalkers.

And have you seen the M15 Chain Veil?
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

My nastiest trick is Inexorable Tide proliferate. Using Magus of the Future or Future Sight along with Senseis Divining Top. Every point of mana becomes "Draw a Card and Proliferate". If I find my Cloud Key it's draw the entire deck.

But prior to that, simply proliferating Loyalty on Planeswalkers.
"Where are you off to?"

The Bad Shepherd

Chaosraven wrote:My nastiest trick is Inexorable Tide proliferate. Using Magus of the Future or Future Sight along with Senseis Divining Top. Every point of mana becomes "Draw a Card and Proliferate". If I find my Cloud Key it's draw the entire deck.

But prior to that, simply proliferating Loyalty on Planeswalkers.
I've managed to twice now accomplish a Ral Zarek + Contagion Engine (semi) infinite turn lock. But yes, last night I looked up some proliferate cards. Definitely like the idea of Inexorable Tide.
And I've preordered a box of M15. Hopefully I'll get that Chain Veil and the new Jace.
I do not yet own a divining top. Isn't it $20?
"Shepard." -Wrex
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Yeah, even as an uncommon it is in high demand.

Last night we played two 3 player games.

I played Lavinia. my son played Nekusar, our friend played Olaro.
Our friend was out first, due to the multiple damage per card drawn (my son had in Nekusar, Kederekt Parasite, and Underworld Dreams. I had token copies of both Nekusar and the Kederekt Parasite, while our friend had in Phyrexian Arena. So he was drawing 4 Cards per turn for 19 Damage), which whittled down his early extra life due to Olaro right away. My son conceded when I destryoed all the land, leaving me with five artifacts that produce mana in play.

The second game we played I switched to Vorel, and the Olaro deck slaughtered us with a Platinum Emperion and Sheoldred. Without exile we could shut him down, as he had Volraths Stronghold and a Quicksilver Amulet. So he kept getting them back. I was sad because my son countered my Primeval Hydra (that doubles counters every turn, followed by my intention to double again with Vorel. I had Garruk Primal Hunter and a Laboratory Maniac planning to Draw myself into a decked win).

Don't feel bad for the kid, though, as he won the Talisman game we played first.
"Where are you off to?"

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

if you play Contagion Clasp/Engine make sure you also use an Unwinding Clock.
"Where are you off to?"