Speakeasy [Kickstarter]

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Speakeasy [Kickstarter]

Post by Zaxxon »

I received a PM from the designer behind a currently-funding Kickstarter game called Speakeasy. (He found me based on our Werewolf Kickstarter discussion awhile back.) I think the minimum player count on this one is a bit high (10), but it looks like a cool concept, so I'm starting a thread in case anyone else is interested in this one.
Chaz

Re: Speakeasy [Kickstarter]

Post by Chaz »

10 minimum? Yeah, that'll get played just about never around my neck of the woods. It sounds cool, but I can't even figure out when you'd play something like this outside of conventions or big parties.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The monthly game event down here was BIG into Werewolf for quite a while. I imagine meeting the minimums there wouldn't be too hard if the game is worth it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pattonandy

Post by Pattonandy »

Hi, I'm Andy Patton, the creator of Speakeasy. Yes, with a 10 person minimum the game occupies a unique niche. I'm happy to answer any questions about the game if anyone has any. Cheers!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Still find it odd that we've never had a Werewolf game break out at an OctoCon...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hentzau wrote:Still find it odd that we've never had a Werewolf game break out at an OctoCon...
I will definitely be bringing my shiny new copy to whatever OctoCon I attend next.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The gameplay synopsis on the kickstarter page definitely caught my interest. The problem is that I don't see when I'd be able to get this played. Before I read it, I figured it would be a re-themed werewolf, but it really goes way beyond that. I like what appear to be elective and selected powers as well as the super heavy social aspect (I know, funny coming from me). One thing I don't like about werewolf, at least in the forums, is the villager. Being a pawn with nothing to offer but your listening skills bugs me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DGM at the late night stuff. And there's always BGGCon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

It seems like it would be a very fun game if I had more friends that could make up stories and play a role.

I am going to have a hard enough time getting a warewolf group together, this would be impossible. It does look like a lot of fun though.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

miltonite wrote:getting a warewolf group together
Shadowrun version of werewolf?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

miltonite wrote:I am going to have a hard enough time getting a warewolf group together, this would be impossible. It does look like a lot of fun though.
This is my thought exactly.
Pattonandy

Post by Pattonandy »

Glad to hear the game play synopsis was helpful! Explaining the game has been a challenge. It is LIKE Werewolf, but I was also trying to expand some of the boundaries of the genre set by Werewolf and games like it in ways that (I hope) created interesting new avenues for strategy.

The 10 person minimum is the biggest weakness/challenge to the game. If anyone has ideas about how to lower that minimum, I would love to hear them... could be a good expansion in the future.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The game has funded.