[Boardgame] Shadowrun: Crossfire

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

[Boardgame] Shadowrun: Crossfire

Post by coopasonic »

I just learned about this last night browsing through Dice Tower reviews. Has anyone else checked it out?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1353 ... -crossfire

Co-op Deckbuilding (I know, I know) looks to be coming out next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbuXYD_mI1s
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: [Boardgame] Shadowrun: Crossfire

Post by coopasonic »

Will I get a response if I add that there is something of a campaign feel in that characters gain Karma which they can use to buy permanent upgrades?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Aren't you just now trying to get out of the Pathfinder game that does that?

It actually lowers my interest to make it more like an RPG, but that's my issue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I played the Pathfinder Card Game more than any other board game ever (as an adult, excluding Chess). I am getting out of it because I played everything it had to offer. My only complaint about Pathfinder is the obnoxious setup time, which this game doesn't have.

Shadowrun is closer to Marvel Legendary than Pathfinder Card Game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

RISE UP, THREAD!

So I'm looking over Shadowrun: Crossfire and the High Caliber expansion and was wondering what folks thought about it? I'd be playing it solo and do enjoy the setting. Is it easy to keep track of multiple characters and are the rules somewhat straight forward? Roughly how long to play a game?

Thanks for the input as usual!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This was my biggest regret of a purchase at Gencon when it released. I love Shadowrun the rpg. It's too bad the name got attached to a crappy game.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I've also read the bad reviews of the base game. The expansion supposedly fixed some of the issues but I'd like to get the OO scoop as well before adding yet another box to my growing pile. Then again my Kickstarter copy of Defenders of the Last Stand should be coming in a week or two so that may be enough to distract me from another purchase.

It seemed like it should have been a fun game with the Shadowrun setting.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Played it twice and promptly sold it. So my review is probably easy to determine. :wink:
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yea, hepcat sold it before I had a chance to stop over and play.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I like it. I've played a half dozen times or so. I have the expansion but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Despite my enjoyment of the game I can't really defend it. It's very difficult and very repetitive. If you want a challenging co-op deck builder get one of the Legendary Encounters games. Firefly next month!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now THAT I can wholeheartedly support. The Legendary Encounter series are great games!
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote:If you want a challenging co-op deck builder get one of the Legendary Encounters games. Firefly next month!
I have no doubt that Joe will end up with that one and want to play it to change out with the boardgame. Even if he doesn't get it immediately, I have no doubt that he's a prime target for a player at DGMs.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Legendary Encounters Firefly is coming next month? That's pretty soon and I know I definitely wanted to buy that game. Shiny!
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

$iljanus wrote:Legendary Encounters Firefly is coming next month? That's pretty soon and I know I definitely wanted to buy that game. Shiny!
+1

That's one that I won't even try and wait for a sale on....

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote:RISE UP, THREAD!

So I'm looking over Shadowrun: Crossfire and the High Caliber expansion and was wondering what folks thought about it? I'd be playing it solo and do enjoy the setting. Is it easy to keep track of multiple characters and are the rules somewhat straight forward? Roughly how long to play a game?

Thanks for the input as usual!
During my obsession over solo games in the last few months, this was one that came up repeatedly as being really good, albeit with the High Caliber Ops expansion as noted. I did read it was difficult, but otherwise a solid experience. I value the opinions of known characters here more than random weirdos on the internet so seeing a dissenting opinion surprises me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:I value the opinions of known characters here more than random weirdos on the internet so seeing a dissenting opinion surprises me.
For the record, hep and I are, in fact, random weirdos on the internet.

edit: Also these are opinions, they are known to differ. hepcat's likes a lot of crappy games games I don't enjoy, so having him dislike an ok game is to be expected.
Last edited by coopasonic on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, you're known weirdos. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Verified and confirmed, with a reliable track record.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everyone has their own prejudices when it comes to board games. Personally, I love thematic games that tell a story far more than I do any other genre. As Zarathud has noted before, that usually means games with cards. Tons of cards. So many cards that you could make a suit out of them and walk around the neighborhood announcing to the world at large that you are King Card from the land of Cardtopia and that you bring Cardy Goodness to all the men, women and children you meet...sometimes with force, and then often from behind a glass plate and using a phone.

Where was I?

Oh yeah, Coop likes Tash Kalar. That alone makes him suspect in my book.

I wonder what King Card would do if he were here...

:ninja:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He needs to commit. You're not one of us until your nether regions chafe from the friction of a linen finish.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Well, I guess when you bring a thread back from the dead sometimes it just doesn't come back right...
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sometimes dead is bettah.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Oh yeah, Coop likes Tash Kalar. That alone makes him suspect in my book.
You are wrong. Coop LOVES Tash Kalar. You do not speak ill of Tash Kalar. Any who disagree for any reason other than "it's really only good with two" is wrong and should be punished. The two player thing is totally legit though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Any game where the victory shout consists of "I MADE A STRAIGHT LINE!" is immediately crossed off my to play list. :P
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Sometimes dead is bettah.
The soil of a man's heart is stonier, Hepcat. A man grows what he can, and he tends it. 'Cause what you post, is what you own. And what you own... always comes home to you.
Black lives matter!

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I can attest that hepcat did TRY to like Tash-Kalar. Frankly, it has no theme.

And my gaming preference looks for combos and engines of synergy. So I'm with hepcat. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've realized over the years that I simply don't like 90 percent of all abstract games that come out. I think I'm just too dumb for them. :think:
Covfefe!
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I really enjoy SR:CF. It's brutally hard at times but we love that. It's one of the games we've played the most.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Got the expansion at GenCon and have played the game more since then than in the previous year. My fiancee loves the game and it is pretty much guaranteed to hit the table every time we game even if just for one run.

Also a big positive is the speed at which you can get going from the 'let's play that' to playing. This alone has it and Hero Realms beating out Legendary: Encounters to the table if time is an issue.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:Any game where the victory shout consists of "I MADE A STRAIGHT LINE!" is immediately crossed off my to play list. :P
Connect Four was one of my gateway games. :cry:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This was mine.

Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My biggest gateway game was Stratego. Oh, how I loved Stratego.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My Gateway Games:

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:My biggest gateway game was Stratego. Oh, how I loved Stratego.
Mine too. I had a hell of a time getting anyone to play it with me more than once.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My aunt bought me Dune, but Car Wars and Talisman were my gateway games in high school.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God, I loved the microgame series. :wub:

Oh look, someone has a site dedicated to them!
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zarathud wrote:My aunt bought me Dune, but Car Wars and Talisman were my gateway games in high school.
I literally never found anyone willing to play Car Wars with me. I built dozens of custom cars, practiced maneuvers, created crazy stadium combat areas... but never actually played a competitive game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:My aunt bought me Dune, but Car Wars and Talisman were my gateway games in high school.
After Basic and Expert D&D Car Wars and Illuminati were my first games you couldn't just buy at Meijer. (You could by Dungeon and oh how I loved that game as well. My first foray into rat lever/food games.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RedWarlord and I would spend entire weekends in junior high and high school careening our weapon festooned cars around the giant mall map they released at one point. That was easily one of our top 5 games.
Covfefe!