Star Wars: Armada - Tactical Miniature Fleet Battles

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Turtle

Star Wars: Armada - Tactical Miniature Fleet Battles

Post by Turtle »

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=4979

Well, I called this one in the X-Wing thread.

FFG just announced Star Wars: Armada, a fleet scale miniature game for Star Wars.

Sadly, it looks like the game isn't true to scale, and uses relative scale, but it still looks great all the same.
Last edited by Turtle on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IceBear

Re: Star Wars: Armada - Tactical Miniature Fleet Battles

Post by IceBear »

I can't read
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

IceBear wrote:I can't read
It must be tough to come forward with that. I think we can recommend some great adult literacy courses in your area.

I have to say that you're faring remarkably well on the forum, considering.
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

:-P
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

And there goes all my money.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

oh no. And Armada "core set" probably means expansions which means $$$.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

With the X-Wing game printing money for them, yeah, this is gonna be a minis system.

Unfortunately for me, this is more interesting to me than the smaller scale game. I like slower cap ship combat more appealing than dogfights, and I like the big ships.

There's no way I can let myself buy in though. It'll just wind up being WAY too expensive for how little I'll get to play. I'll probably pick up the Executor whenever it winds up releasing, though.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I have no will power. This will all be mine. I need it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Probably no money in it for FFG but I would love this game set in the Babylon 5 universe. Quite a bit more ship variety.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Very torn. On one hand, you can recreate Battle of Endor. Awesome!! But I don't know that scale will play well.

The deciding factor will be whether the level of miniature detail rivals the fantastic X-Wing models. If FFG cuts corners, I might be able to resist.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just bought into X-Wing Miniatures (I couldn't deny my kids, right?), but this scale doesn't really grab me. Maybe it's because we never really see starship combat in Star Wars except as a background to fighter combat.

Also, seeing the Blockade Runner at that size alongside a Star Destroyer just makes my head hurt.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, those scales are completely out of whack.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Well, you do need to be able to see the ships. Either you have star destroyers and fighters that are tiny specks, or giant star destroyers. I'm okay with wonky scales since there's really no good way to do it with physical minis.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

That Star Destroyer is Victory class, smaller than the Imperial class we see with the Corvette at the start of Episode IV:

Enlarge Image

It does sound like they're going to fudge with scale moreso than X-Wing, though.

My biggest disappointment with this game is that the fighters are unpainted. I stink at miniature painting and a big part of the appeal of X-Wing Miniatures was that they all come painted.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Problem is you can't do star destroyers to scale on the table, they are just too huge. With that in mind I am ok with it being a little off. I love that x-wing is largely to scale, but the scale in attack wing doesn't break it for me so I am sure I would be fine with a wonky scale here (to a reasonable degree).

Having just learned that the fighters are unpainted I am disappointed in that. I mean even attack wing managed to paint their fighters, and seriously that game is wonky on painting. Poor form FFG, I wish they would realize what makes the game just that much better and paint them.

I'm very interested in the new options this will bring to the table for x-wing style games. I can tell it won't replace X-wing, but I can also tell that it will have a place in my collection.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The fighters may be either too small to paint or don't have much detail.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It should be pretty simple to do a quick basecoat and drybrush the fighters if you want, which is probably good enough at that tiny scale.

I just got to read the full linked article, and I like a lot of what they're doing. The clicky movement snake thing is clever. I dig that the big ships get actions queued up in a stack like in Starcraft. It looks like they're using dials to keep track of ship states across the board, so bookkeeping shouldn't be OMG TOKENS, which is good.

I dunno, I'm still interested.

Though I'm a lot less interested now that I noticed the MSRP is $100. Ouch.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chaz wrote: Though I'm a lot less interested now that I noticed the MSRP is $100. Ouch.
Someone elsewhere said that the X-Wing Core Set started out at $100 MSRP and then quickly got cheaper in stores.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

wonderpug wrote:
Chaz wrote: Though I'm a lot less interested now that I noticed the MSRP is $100. Ouch.
Someone elsewhere said that the X-Wing Core Set started out at $100 MSRP and then quickly got cheaper in stores.
I don't think that's true. I jumped in day one pretty much and msrp was 40.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

$100 is a bit too rich for me at the moment. But I suspect that it will go on sale someday.
Black lives matter!