Recommended Online Method for Tabletop Gaming?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Mr. Fed

Recommended Online Method for Tabletop Gaming?

Post by Mr. Fed »

With D&D 5E out, I'm sorely tempted to reconnect with some friends, now scattered across the country, for some tabletop-style gaming.

Roll20 looks interesting, if perhaps steep-learning-curvy. I like that it can integrate with Google Hangouts, since I recently used that successfully.

Any thoughts on a vehicle/tool that balances ease of use, flexibility, etc.? Ideally it would not require a large amount of technical expertise.
Popehat, a blog.
IceBear

Re: Recommended Online Method for Tabletop Gaming?

Post by IceBear »

Roll20 is pretty much the main thing everyone uses from hanging out in the various Google+ RPG communities. If you're just going Theater of the Mind (so no maps to show anyone) and you trust your players you could just use Skype or something like that and have everyone tell you what they rolled.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Does it allow a "when you have the time" style of play? In other words, do you all have to be logged in at once to proceed, or could you do things more slowly across a weeks time where people might just log on to make a move? It's really hard for me to get all my old rpg buddies logged on at the same time.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That would be more of a play by post. You could use something like https://www.rpgcrossing.com

I suppose you could leave the session open for people to log in and do things and have the GM check periodically but that's not how it's intended to be used (and there may be a time limit to how long it could be left open).
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Oh my God there are a lot of YouTube videos of people playing on Roll20.
Popehat, a blog.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yup. It's pretty much the default used. I am loving the Rollplay R&D Dungeon World and Numenera YouTube videos. While I like what I have read of 5E I would rather play one of them first
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We're going to use Roll20 for our 5e sessions. Most of our previous attempts at D&D have failed because it's hard for everyone's schedules to agree, and particularly hard to get anything going on a consistent week to week basis.

We figured by moving the whole thing online, we could have one dedicated night per week to make progress. I messed around with it some today and from the player's side, it looks really cool. I haven't seen how difficult it is to use from a DM side, but I know the buddy of mine that is running our campaign had all the maps and stuff for the Starter Set loaded up in no time.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I am still lucky that most of my group can get together on a Saturday night (but even then we've missed the past two weeks)

I am trying to find some online groups to play with during the week. I might have an Edge of the Empire group for Saturday nights but would like to find a Numenera, The Strange, or 5E group as well. Kinda off video games right now and feeling a PnP vibe
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, I am still lucky that most of my group can get together on a Saturday night (but even then we've missed the past two weeks)

I am trying to find some online groups to play with during the week. I might have an Edge of the Empire group for Saturday nights but would like to find a Numenera, The Strange, or 5E group as well. Kinda off video games right now and feeling a PnP vibe
If you make a youtube video of your Edge of the Empire group, please post your feed hear. I love to follow people playing that to see what stories that have. I love the Star Wars RPG but I just don't have time to play and/or deal with all the game mechanics.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906