[Kickstarter] New edition of Paranoia

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... ranoia-rpg

I have such fond memories of Paranoia. I'll probably pledge this, even though I don't have a group to play with.
Holman

Re: [Kickstarter] New edition of Paranoia

Post by Holman »

I was just coming in to post this!

They don't list many stretch goals, but I imagine they're on the way, especially since they hit the first one about halfway through Day 1.

(It's not as cheap as some Kickstarters. The lowest tier for a complete physical copy is £30, about $50.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sturdily bound dead trees splashed in real color aren't cheap.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am in and tempted by the higher pledge levels. I have a copy of every Paranoia print product since First Edition -- except for one novel.

If you ever want to play, make it to the Origins Game Fair in Columbus where I run Paranoia on Friday morning every year. I have been stuck on a Venture Brothers character theme for the past few years because I think it fits convention play well.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I even made my own decks of cards to randomize mutant powers and hand out loyalty bonuses/penalties.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

In for two sets, which would let me run a 12 person session. I know Second Edition well enough to run a game with 6-8 players. The physical copy comes with rules, printed cards and special 6-sided dice.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hopefully they'll be putting up some examples of play or vids to give us a sense of how this new game differs from the past. I wonder how much it will feel like a card game as opposed to (or, hopefully, in addition to) a traditional RPG.

I like that Paul Dean from Shut Up & Sit Down is involved.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Starred. I doubt I can afford it this close to the holidays, but I am keeping my eye on it anyway.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I like the idea of allowing the other players to "help" build your character as a means of building in-game tension. One of the challenges of running Paranoia at a convention is to get everyone to buy in to their character's motivations. A screw-your-neighbor mechanic to build characters should be fun.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm in! I've always thought Paranoia was a hoot.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Reddit AMA.
Q: What's your favourite Paranoia memory?

A:
My favourite Paranoia memory is the Elephant Gun. It's a massive-bore rifle, fires huge slugs the size of your thumb, and it comes with a targeting helmet wired into the thing. R&D tell you not to power it up before you need to shoot it, because it's kind of unstable.

So the Commies rush you and you slap on the helmet and flick the on-switch, and you get all this Terminator-lookin' shit flashing up onscreen, and the readout says:

"SEARCHING FOR ELEPHANTS."

"ELEPHANTS NOT FOUND."

"SHUTTING DOWN. Screen goes black. PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE HELMET DURING SHUTDOWN PROCESS. REMOVAL OF HELMET MAY LEAD TO SYNAPTIC LEAKAGE."
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have more than a few.

A Team Leader standing on his chair to monologue to inspire the other Troubleshooters to protect the Computer. His character was inspired by The Monarch from Venture Brothers, and I then informed him that his truly inspiring speech had drawn the attention of the Commie Mutant Traitors with TacNukes.

Hentzau wandering up and down my Dining Room with his hands out showing me how he was searching for the Stealth Train right were it was supposed to be...and openly wondering how screwed he was going to be.

A Troubleshooter who deployed a Micro-Sized Scrubbot on his shoulder (thinking it would act like a Parrot), and then received a thorough dermal scrubbing...including on the inside. That was shortly followed by another Troubleshooter remembering his Rubberized INFRARED Security Gloves would be just PERFECT to retrieve said Scrubbot, so bend over. After I started laughing so hard that I actually cried, I had to explain that the reason why an IntSec team just rushed in to confiscate the Security Gloves was because those "Security Gloves" included experimental cameras in the fingertips. So a high level IntSec agent just had a high-resolution view of the whole Scrubbot retrieval, called the IntSec team and requested a brainscrub. And, to top it all off, the responsible Troubleshooter declared: "But at least Friend Computer knows how I loyally retrieved Computer Property from this unclean Traitor!" Followed by laser fire.

Meeting Mark IV for the first time. Trying to inform an OGRE that I was there to protect it, really.
Holman

Post by Holman »

They've posted a three-hour audio of a playtest session of the new game.

I plan to listen to it all when I have time. I'm still not at all clear on whether this reboot is more of a traditional role-playing experience or more of a resource-burning card game.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm still in deep with all the add-ons to the Violet level at the end. I could run a 12 Troubleshooter session, but I'll probably run sessions at Origins Game Fair for 6-9 Troubleshooters.

I almost everything since the first edition Paranoia, except for 2 novels and the early miniatures. This will be my Christmas present this year.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I got the Ultraviolet Plus package. I have several different versions of Paranoia already, but have never been able to actually run it. The biggest hurdle has been the horrible mechanics behind the fun setting, and I never managed to wrap my head around them. This new edition seems to solve this problem nicely.
Insert witty comment here.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The new Paranoia arrived on Saturday. I haven't done much more than open up the box, but first impressions are:

1. What a lovely white ultraviolet box.

2. These booklets are smaller than I had expected. Not in page count, but actual size -- they're half-size booklets instead of your typical letter/A4 size RPG manual. Although maybe that's the standard these days. I haven't read an RPG manual in 20+ years.

3. Cards!

4. Dry-erase character sheets are kind of brilliant for a death-heavy game like Paranoia.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Going crazy waiting for my double order! I'll be running events at Origins so I wanted a "travel" copy. The half sized books were a "fun" design choice thatI'll live with.

Chessex makes nice custom dice and already has an old Computer screen logo on file from my custom order a few years ago. The dice are rubbish apparently.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

As far as I can tell the dice are fine. On the small side, but decent quality. (And loads better than the dice that came with my High Frontier kickstarter. Now those are rubbish dice.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My order arrived today. While I pledged for a double set in Violet, I received only one set. I will be using the custom Chessex dice I ordered in 2015.

I'm also annoyed that the Forms Pack is basically 4 Forms. The pack looks like more because they're single-sided and a single form can run 3-4 pages. Time to get busy making more forms!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I got my box set yesterday as well. Looking forward to digging into it.
Insert witty comment here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm working on making extra cards and writing an adventure. Somehow the idea of being border control for Sectors TEX-MEX just seems appropriate. I'm pretty sure someone will suggest to Friend Computer that the Terrorists pay for the wall....

Suggestions on how to torture RMC at Origins are welcome. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote:I'm working on making extra cards and writing an adventure. Somehow the idea of being border control for Sectors TEX-MEX just seems appropriate. I'm pretty sure someone will suggest to Friend Computer that the Terrorists pay for the wall....

Suggestions on how to torture RMC at Origins are welcome. :)
Hey now. I am awesome... A myth in my own mind you might say!
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I just created and ordered a custom deck of Equipment cards from Drivethrucards.com and they turned out beautifully. The blues on the Action cards aren't quite as vibrant as the original (more like a baby blue), but the purple on the Equipment cards matched up nicely. I also printed out a "rules card" with notes about the NODE checks, modifiers, Moxie and the Security Clearance system.

I had to confirm I had permission to use the card backs, but the ordering process was rather easy even though I had to create a "publisher" account and make sure the order wasn't listed for public sale.
opiaterehab

Post by opiaterehab »

Holman wrote:I was just coming in to post this!

They don't list many stretch goals, but I imagine they're on the way, especially since they hit the first one about halfway through Day 1.

(It's not as cheap as some Kickstarters. The lowest tier for a complete physical copy is £30, about $50.)
Thanks for the informative information.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have not shined a UV light on my UV edition box (because I don't have one). Does it fluoresce?

I kinda wish it came with a regular box too.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am rewriting the last chapter of my Origins mission. Any suggestions for achievements when the Troubleshooters are adventuring in the Old WST Sector?