[Kickstarter] Night Witches (from Fiasco creator)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Holman

[Kickstarter] Night Witches (from Fiasco creator)

Post by Holman »

Jason Morningstar (creator of Fiasco among other things) and Bully Pulpit Games have kickstarted a new narrative RPG on Soviet airwomen during WW2: Night Witches.
To each other they were sisters, with bonds forged in blood and terror. To the Red Army Air Force they were an infuriating feminist sideshow. To the Germans they were simply Nachthexen—Night Witches.

This incredible situation needs rules that are simple and powerful, promoting hard choices and forming a fun feedback loop with the fiction you and your friends create. We used Vincent Baker’s brilliant Apocalypse World as a starting point and heavily modified that core to meet the demands of Night Witches. We also took inspiration from the many offshoots already on tables everywhere—Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Sagas of the Icelanders, and others. If you’ve played any of these, Night Witches will fit like a pair of comfortable old tapochki.

In play you will alternate between day and night, with unique moves for each. Days are about renewal and interpersonal conflict, and nights are about hair-raising bombing missions on historically accurate targets across the Soviet Union, Poland, and, in the end, Germany.

Missions are crazy dangerous and you have to make hard choices constantly. And when they end, a whole new kind of danger is waiting back at the airbase—paranoid secret police, sexist Red Army officials who want you to fail, and chronic supply shortages are just the beginning of your troubles.
I heard of this when it was announced, but I finally looked into it and pledged. It looks like a really interesting and fresh take on both RPGs and wargames.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.