Fantasy Flight Games to Merge into the Asmodee Group (TM)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Fantasy Flight Games to Merge into the Asmodee Group (TM

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:One of my favorite online retailers on current GW internet policies.
They also explain why B&M retail/FLGS are getting killed:
Since July of 2003 TheWarStore has strictly complied with the Games Workshop Internet policy. We have no Games Workshop shopping cart. However we do have a store stocked full of Games Workshop products and we still sell them everyday at 20% off Games Workshop US retail prices.

I don't know enough to have a strong opinion either way but I know you can't always have internet pricing with B&M support and incentives. Heck, try to buy wholesale from thewarstore.com without a commercial B&M address. They get it, they really do.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That is, for good or ill, the market for pretty much every focused business out there, from video stores to book stores to music stores to comic shops, which is why so many of the above combine physical stores with online sales, which is exactly what Asmodee is targeting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:That is, for good or ill, the market for pretty much every focused business out there, from video stores to book stores to music stores to comic shops, which is why so many of the above combine physical stores with online sales, which is exactly what Asmodee is targeting.
Right, they're targeting the loophole. I don't know where this goes, but like you said, it's in a lot of other businesses, I've seen it before. They come and go. Asmodee will try, if it totally blows up, they will back off.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Privateer Press
Privateer Press is pleased to announce that all of its North American distribution partners have signed Privateer’s new distribution contract and agreed to support the company’s new free rider policy, which seeks to discourage high-volume online retailers that do not offer meaningful services from undermining the growth and sustainability of the industry.

Privateer’s free rider policy discourages the sale of products to a category of online retailers recognized as harmful to the industry. Thanks to the universal support of Privateer’s North American distribution partners, the policy will help ensure that honest, hard-working retailers—including online retailers that are not in violation of the policy—will be able to compete fairly and without the predations of crippling and anticompetitive practices. In doing so, the policy also safeguards the brick-and-mortar retailers’ role in providing players with access to the worldwide community of players who enjoy the friendly competition, hobby experiences, and casual and competitive organized play for which Privateer Press is a recognized industry leader.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap. Their availability at online retailers at a decent price was the primary reason I got into Warmahordes. :(

Ah well, they're still cheaper than Games Workshop. And I'm already invested in their product. The new version of Warmachine/Hordes is releasing this summer, as well. So they're probably gearing up for that with this change.
He won. Period.