[All Platforms] GOTY to this point

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Chrisoc13

[All Platforms] GOTY to this point

Post by Chrisoc13 »

What is your GOTY up to this point on any platform? I'm posting this here so both console and PC gamers have a chance to see it. Just your personal game of the year and why?

I was just thinking about how this year has been a very enjoyable year in gaming for me, and I realized I have played a lot of top notch games. For me I was considering between the following:

1. Halo: Master Chief Collection- I love Halo. I am an unashamed Halo fan. Maybe even a fanboi. I can never get enough halo. It is the game that converted me to consoles primarily over PC. I still PC game, but mostly I stick to consoles now and Halo is the reason. The Master Chief Collection is in my opinion the best fan service ever given. All 4 master chief Halo games in 1, brilliant multiplayer between all 4 games, remastered and original versions of the first 2 iconic games, the list goes on and on. You cannot do better fan service than this. But ultimately, I've played all of these games before. I love them as much as any game, but I have a hard time giving it GOTY because it isn't new, and each of them have already been my GOTY at some point. But in terms of best fan service of all time, this would win that award.

2. Destiny- As a self-proclaimed Halo nut it is no surprise that Destiny caught my eye. It didn't disappoint me. I have played a huge number of hours in this game, probably more than it deserves. The game was an absolute blast for me until the grind really got into full gear. It is beautiful, unique, and has some of the best shooting mechanics I have ever seen. Spectacular game, that somehow leaves me feeling like it just isn't enough. Somehow it didn't quite get it all right for me. It is too repetitive, and the proposed plans for support on XB1 put a serious damper on my fire.

3. Mario kart 8- Nintendo never releases a bad first party game. They are the kings of polish, and mario kart 8 was no exception. I love this game. I love racing against friends in the same room. Everything about this game just feels fantastic. Most years this would be an easy GOTY for me, but this year has been particularly appealing to me. This is the type of game that you never get rid of. That you can see yourself unpacking the Wii U for 15 years from now for a race. It's one of those rare gems. Of course Nintendo has more of those gems than anyone.

4. Forza Horizon 2- My first introduction to the Horizon series, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great ride. I will probably be playing this game for years to come. Slowly chiseling away at the huge number of events and races available. Fantastic game, hard to beat.

5. Super Smash Wii U- Perfection. A storied franchise that is certainly not overplayed ( I mean 4 total games in 15 years wow) but never fails to deliver. The ultimate party game. The ultimate social game. The game that beginners can play instantly and advanced players can take years developing their skills and both an play together, on the same screen, without people getting frustrated. This game takes the impressive history of super smash brothers and takes it up a notch. 8 player gaming in the same room on the same screen is groundbreaking. It is exactly a different direction than the rest of the gaming world is going, and for me it is the right direction. The graphics are fantastic, the game play is smooth and intuitive, the challenges are endless. Nintendo knocked it out of the park with this one, and it is just a spectacular game. The online play leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion and Nintendo seriously needs to look at MS and Xbox live to see how to improve, they are years behind on the internet front. But even with that this game is special. Another game that I could see myself playing 15 years from now. I just played Super Smash 64 on my wii U yesterday and it is 15 years old, it isn't hard to imagine 15 years from now playing this game occasionally and still having a blast with it. As always Nintendo does things right.

In the end I have to go with Super Smash Wii U. The game is just perfect. It is compelling, new and fresh yet familiar, and brilliantly executed.

So what is your GOTY? Mine is obviously console-centric, but I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks was their favorite game.
coopasonic

Re: [All Platforms] GOTY to this point

Post by coopasonic »

Shadow of Mordor is an easy #1. What else came out in 2014? I haven't bought that many.

Forza Horizon 2 is probably my top console pick.

Assassin's Creed Unity is something of a letdown after Black Flag.

Sims 4 is a disappointment in most regards.

I haven't played Wasteland 2 yet, despite backing it on Kickstarter. All the comments about min-maxing have me staying away.

Dragon Age: Inquisition and Far Cry 4 are still on the to be purchased list.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Shadows of Brimstone. :)

A close toss up with Xia: Legends of a Drift System

(I'm going analog here.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:Shadows of Brimstone. :)

A close toss up with Xia: Legends of a Drift System

(I'm going analog here.)

I like that, I did say all platforms.

if going analog, I would probably say Caverna. Yeah I think it technically was released late last year but it didn't get to my house until January, so for me (and likely most people) it is a 2014 game. So Caverna it is.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Marvel Puzzle Quest. :oops:

But I actually can't think of any non-mobile game released this year that I've played.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dominions 4
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Probably Divinity: Original Sin for me, I put over 80 hours into it and it really never felt old. It's one of the few games I'm thinking about playing through again.

Of course, Rocksmith 2014 (played about 300hrs) thinks that's cute.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hmm...

Ultimate General: Gettysburg -- I think I'm just about played out after ~60 hours, but what a fun 60 hours. I'm not much of a strategy game guy, but I love this.

Kerbal Space Program -- I'm not a big fan of the new systems (contracts, reputation, etc.), but the core gameplay -- build rocket, learn orbital mechanics, fly in space -- remains impeccable.

Dragon Age: Inquisition? -- We'll see if it makes the final cut, but it's been great so far, despite some niggling bugs.

edit to add...

Qvadriga