Where to buy games economically (aka cheap)?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zenn7

Where to buy games economically (aka cheap)?

Post by Zenn7 »

Assuming you missed out on Amazon's gold box board game day Tuesday (went to work the next day and one of our sales people very nicely gave me a $25 Amazon card, if only I'd had that one day sooner... )...

Where do people tend to shop for all these not-everyday-household games at when looking for best prices? Just wait for Amazon (or someone) to have another supersale?

I like the games but I'm likely looking at 35-50$ range to see if I can pick up a couple. Bummed wife didn't get home in time and didn't have that card the other day - would have liked to have gotten Red Dragon Inn 1&2 (they were $17.99 each, together would have been just enough to get the free shipping, perfect!); or maybe 7 Wonders & Cash & Guns. Except I might get my kid and maybe wife to play Red Dragon. 3 is not enough for C&G, and 7 Wonders is doubtful I'd get them to play. Getting together w/ friends for New Years, we used to play D*D but that fell apart (got together too infrequently, spent 1/2 the day reviewing what we did and how to play for the non-hardcore), likely going to play Munchkin and some zombie card game (assuming my buddy finds the game he was telling me about). 1 Night werewolf and/or Red Dragon Inn would be great for this crew.

Unless I can play them 2-3 player (most likely 2, very little I think I can get my wife to play), these games would rarely get played (maybe 1-2 times/year). I go to a monthly board game thing but people bring hordes of games there and I'd be more inclined to want to play something I don't own rather than something I do. Especially since they often tend to have most/all the expansions/extras, even if playing a game I owned, someone would likely have a "fuller" copy.
Zarathud

Re: Where to buy games economically (aka cheap)?

Post by Zarathud »

We have 2 Chicago friendly local game stores for impulse and release buys but online I use miniaturemarket.com and coolstuffinc.com Both sites have monthly/weekly overstock sales and general discount prices.

Some other people hit various auctions to catch someone unloading a collection, but I know my competitive nature would cause me to overpay there.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I use Amazon almost exclusively. Setup some notices on CamelCamelCamel.com and then get an email whenever the price on a game drops. Also useful for telling you the type of discount you can expect over the course of the year.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I have a corporate franchise local store but their board gaming prices (and hobby stuff) is off the charts with pricing. I'd like to support them, but between driving there and the prices..it's ridiculous. Amazon is my best choice though I have noticed Target has a respectable selection (thought it's usually hit or miss). They had a gaming promotion a few weeks ago and they seems to do them every now and again - buy one get % off another or b1g1 free. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to get a boardgame there, but if you're looking to grab something last minute for a gift or heading to a party, consider it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote:We have 2 Chicago friendly local game stores for impulse and release buys but online I use miniaturemarket.com and coolstuffinc.com Both sites have monthly/weekly overstock sales and general discount prices.
I buy board games infrequently enough that I actually shop the old-fashioned way at these two (the Dojo and Cat & Mouse). I'll walk in, browse, and pick up a game or two that looks interesting.

I have no idea what I'd do if I wanted to get a lot of games. eBay?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I hit up a "local online store", Time Well Spent. Since the warehouse is relatively local, I pay tax, but no shipping - unless you want to add in time and gas.... I find their prices are generally pretty good. However, I don't know what shipping costs. You may actually get a better deal going through Amazon (especially if you can get free shipping), or another of the sites mentioned.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

It's worth keeping an eye on BoardGameGeek's Hot Deals forum for good deals.

With Amazon Prime, it's hard to beat the prices of board games that are sold directly by Amazon.com (as opposed to a third party). But if buying directly from Amazon isn't an option, BoardgamePrices.com can be a useful site for comparing prices on board games.

Buying through the BGG Marketplace or trading through BGG are also worthy of consideration.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I use my local store quite a bit, but generally I use miniaturemarket.com for pre-orders and X-wing stuff etc. if my order is going to be above $99 for free shipping. If it isn't going to give free shipping than I use amazon prime.

A word of warning about the Hot Deals forum on BGG... it will empty your wallet. People posted about deals and my resistance was minimal. So yeah... be warned...
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I like Miniature Market because it's in St. Louis, so my shipments arrive 1-2 days later in Chicago.
Last edited by Zarathud on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

WOW! Thank you very much for all the feedback. Tons of places, checked out a few, prices largely seemed competitive (or better) then the prices I'm currently seeing on Amazon (not counting shipping).

FYI: the BBG deals mentioned tomorrow's Amazon deals of the day for 12 days of xmas is "games" - they were hopefully for some more good stuff.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

When not hitting my flgs, I'm usually on Amazon or Coolstuffinc. Warning: CSI's cumulative purchase discount is addicting. Way to gamify buying games!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No one power games that one like coop.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am not that bad. I have to spend another $1400 to get their max discount (5%). Now that I have slowed down my purchasing (ya know, not $100+ every time a netrunner pack comes out), that could actually take a while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In case anyone cares in the slightest, I finally settled on using Amazon and getting the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles Base Set. It was on sale for $38.48 (and free shipping option w/ Amazon for being over $35.00). Not what I originally had in mind (had been thinking of One Night Ultimate Werewolf or maybe a couple Red Dragon Inn - had I been more timely in this plan, RDI 1/2 would have been good choice on the big game sale day last Tuesday). Such is life.

This I can play by myself at least and my kid thought it sounded interesting. Worst case, I can get one buddy who would likely enjoy playing it.

Thank you all again for all the feedback. I have major decision paralysis when it comes to spending money (except on food thankfully, unfortunately for my belly...). Took several days of searching the sites, thinking, debating, adding/removing things, going back and forth - then remembered the Pathfinders games today when I almost gave up and was just going to regift the card to my wife (she wants Amazon GC for xmas for music downloads). The other one was on sale but $49.xx. This was cheaper and sounded like they'd refined it a bit (as often happens for the next game in a series like this, having learned some from the first round...).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I have a corporate franchise local store but their board gaming prices (and hobby stuff) is off the charts with pricing. I'd like to support them, but between driving there and the prices..it's ridiculous. Amazon is my best choice though I have noticed Target has a respectable selection (thought it's usually hit or miss). They had a gaming promotion a few weeks ago and they seems to do them every now and again - buy one get % off another or b1g1 free. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to get a boardgame there, but if you're looking to grab something last minute for a gift or heading to a party, consider it.
I buy games at local stores when I want to support them or when I have to the game right now which is why I support local stores at all any more. I used to support a few stores that had gaming in them when I met people at them for gaming.

I tend to buy from CSI mostly. Their prices are competitive and like Zax, the more I buy the more I save, so I buy more. And if I buy $100 at a pop, free shipping so I buy more at $100 a pop. I seem to always not notice Amazon sales until they're gone.