Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

MonkeyFinger

Re: Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't p

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I did but don't believe I added that on. :cry:
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My damn Shadows of Brimstone Wave 2 finally arrived today. I guess I sort of expected discrete boxes for all the extras, not just bag-wrapped sprues.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, really? I thought folks got those quite some time ago?
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

It finally dawned on me that I was one of the apparently many people that Shipbob screwed up their Endure the Stars order, leaving out the "Kickstarter Crew Pack" with the exclusive stuff. Thankfully Grimlord Games very quickly resolved the issue and it will be here tomorrow. :D
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:Wow, really? I thought folks got those quite some time ago?
Apparently, because I am a pervert and ordered the Hellfire Succubi, my order was delayed. They also basically held it for ransom until I paid the extra money to "complete my order" - which I was not particularly wanting to do (because I really did not need any more turrets and such).

Oh well, I have it all now and that is the last Flying Frog Kickstarter I plan on backing.
AWS260

Re: Kickstarter 2015... Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

Post by AWS260 »

Defiant in 2015 wrote:The 7th Continent A cooperative exploration game,
7th Continent is back on Kickstarter with a second edition and expansion.

I'm interested, but probably not enough to pull the trigger. The No Pun Included review of the first edition makes it sound both amazing and kind of grind-y.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed it for the core and the expansion...but I have a feeling I'm going to drop out. Massive Darkness has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to big ticket games on KS. At least for now.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:I backed it for the core and the expansion...but I have a feeling I'm going to drop out. Massive Darkness has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to big ticket games on KS. At least for now.
Did you not like Massive Darkness? Everything I see looks good, but I have yet to play it. Why is it disappointing?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's just...well...simple. I know that can be a strength for some, and I knew this was supposed to be a light dungeon crawler. But I didn't think it would be THIS light. The lack of any real actions a character can take, combined with how easy it all becomes, makes for a pretty lackluster experience. Folks on BGG are already fixing some of the larger issues, but I tend to agree with the majority of reviews that say this game was rushed out the door. I doubt I'll back another CMON game again after this.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:I backed it for the core and the expansion...but I have a feeling I'm going to drop out. Massive Darkness has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to big ticket games on KS. At least for now.
Good. I said at Gencon that I was waiting for 7th Continent--and even dragged you by the booth!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, cancelled. Now I have to rely on you and Hentzau to play.
Covfefe!
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

hepcat wrote:Okay, cancelled. Now I have to rely on you and Hentzau to play.
Hey folks, it's been a while! :shock:

I've played my copy of 7th for around 35 hours now. The hype is real: This is the most clever, thematic Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style game I've played. It's just great. And, it's a blast solo.

The art is just amazing. There's over 1000 cards, with at least 750 pieces of unique, detailed art, that is consistently good. The fact that the lead designer did the art himself is just insane.

The core system is very clever, and cool. It's a game of resource management: Your shared deck of cards is your life, and also is where are your abilities come from. So you have to balance doing well at actions, and thus possibly drawing a bunch of your life total away. Eventually, when the deck of cards runs out, there's a possibility of death with every card draw. But, if you heal enough damage, you can come back from the precipice.

The playable characters are very cool, and unique. Two of my favorites are H.P. Lovecraft and Dr. Frankenstein. And yes, they're as thematically sensical as you would think. :binky:

As for minuses:

There's not a lot of "story", per se. No huge blocks of text to read, and since the game is so variable, and the decisions are made by you, there can't be a lot of pre-planned narrative. However, *you* make the story. As an (completely made-up) example of what could happen, you find a book early in a scenario. Later, you find the same pattern as on the book's cover on a cave painting. If you still have the book, but didn't find the 2nd half of the clue telling you that the book is evil, you may awaken a demon that will sap some of your resolve. But if you excavate enough archaeological sites in the scenario at the right places, you can find an amulet that will prevent the demon from attacking you, and he helps you instead.

While it's a campaign-style game, that will probably take 12-15 hours for the first scenario, the save system is very cool, but also a bit off-putting at first.

If all that sounds good, I'd look into The 7th Continent.

And unlike Massive Darkness, there's already 1000s of people who've played it. And they have *no* plans to ever release it to retail.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The one thing that put me off is the developer promising 1000+ minutes of gameplay. That's not really a lot, imo. Was that just badly worded on their part?
Covfefe!
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

hepcat wrote:The one thing that put me off is the developer promising 1000+ minutes of gameplay. That's not really a lot, imo. Was that just badly worded on their part?
I'm guessing it's just bad wording. Later on it says "1000+ minutes of thrilling adventure in a single game." So I'm guessing it's a campaign-ish kind of game like Pathfinder at the end of which you can play over again with a new character.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

This kind of kick starter is tricky for me. This game looks really interesting to me and I am temper to back it but... I really don't need a game with that much content.

This is an issue I have with these type of kick starters is the enjoyment of the game seems to be about there being hours and hours of content. That's great and all, but I'm not looking for one game to rule them all. I'm looking for games to play that are great and a part of my collection. If the enjoyment truly comes from playing hours and hours of story they don't really fit my lifestyle. If the enjoyment can come from a single play then that does fit my lifestyle. I had the same thoughts with gloomhaven but ended up backing anyways. I'm on the fence on this one though. I also don't want to reward the "this is probably your last chance to get this have ever" stuff they are pulling.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You will not regret Gloomhaven. We're still going strong months later.
Covfefe!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hepcat wrote:You will not regret Gloomhaven. We're still going strong months later.
Thanks for this. Can't wait to get my 2nd printing kickstarter. Sometimes I wonder if the hype was real or if it was just fantasy.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moat_Man wrote:
hepcat wrote:You will not regret Gloomhaven. We're still going strong months later.
Thanks for this. Can't wait to get my 2nd printing kickstarter. Sometimes I wonder if the hype was real or if it was just fantasy.
I missed kickstarter by one day. I've been watching for when the 2nd ed is likely to hit stores and it keeps getting bumped back. The day I searched, having missed the KS, the estimate was late September, then early October, then late October, and now it's early November.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LordMortis wrote:
Moat_Man wrote:
I missed kickstarter by one day. I've been watching for when the 2nd ed is likely to hit stores and it keeps getting bumped back. The day I searched, having missed the KS, the estimate was late September, then early October, then late October, and now it's early November.
Yeah. there are some shipping issues with the KS right now. those are similar dates for us too.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I saw on FB that the KS for Dinogenics was re-launched... If you get in now, there's a $5 discount. ;)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks! Kickstarter is going really well right now. I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much faster things are going this time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote:I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much faster things are going this time.
I suspect you are front-loaded on re-backers. I wouldn't let the early success make you complacent.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:05 pm The Decemberists Present: ILLIMAT A Game by Keith Baker for 2-4 players

Just backed my first Kickstarter!

As a huge fan of The Decemberists I had to jump on this. Almost 200% backed after going live just a few hours ago. Scheduled to ship in June 2017. Looks pretty cool...
Woo Hoo! I received Illimat today. That...uh...took a while. I guess that's normal, again it is my first and only Kickstarter.

I haven't opened it yet but it looks nice...hope to get some playtime in with my wife over the holiday next week.