Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't p

Post by Smoove_B »

Of note: it's a project being done with Lone Shark Games...who still hasn't delivered The Apocrypha Adventure Card Game and is about 5 months late with no firm delivery date provided. Now, I know Mike Selinker isn't a fly-by-night type of guy and I don't fear I'll never see the game, but I do sort of wish KS would implement rules that do not allow new projects to be created by someone that hasn't delivered all prior obligations first.

EDIT: I forgot, they did The Ninth World KS after the Apocrypha KS, which is also late.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Because the PA guys totally couldn't fund this thing on their own. Oh, wait, they definitely could.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Never spend your own money on a project when you can spend someone else's.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Even better, set up a separate corp so that, if it fails, you can walk away scot free.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I get why, but it frustrates the hell out of me. These guys have a massive megaphone to use to market this thing. They've got no need to use Kickstarter other than remove risk from themselves, yet there they are.

I also get annoyed when companies like CMON do it. They're in much the same boat, though they don't have quite as big a megaphone as PA has.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This seems like a personal goal by Mike, but a preview video with the Lone Shark guys makes me nervous. The owner looks and acts like a shady rat bastard. He talked constantly about the design being hard but someone else on the team came up with a solution every time during game design.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:This seems like a personal goal by Mike, but a preview video with the Lone Shark guys makes me nervous. The owner looks and acts like a shady rat bastard. He talked constantly about the design being hard but someone else on the team came up with a solution every time during game design.
Mike Selinker???
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

Post by Zarathud »

Too many Mikes. PA guy Mike Krahulik has this as a personal goal.

Mike Selinker is the owner. Maybe I missed all the game designer inside jokes and discussion, but Mike S pinged my creepometer and the " I take no responsibility for how this turned out" comments rubbed me the wrong way.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed Apocrypha for everything. I knew it was late, but I thought they were hinting at a release fairly soon. And by soon, I mean a couple of months.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: but I thought they were hinting at a release fairly soon. And by soon, I mean a couple of months.
The last update (8/30) indicated they are still working on it through September, with production to start "thereafter". To quote:
While the base set is essentially done other than layout, we still have some development, flavortext, and playtesting in the chapter box still to go. We still don't have a print date, and may not for a while. But we are almost at the point where we can say we finished the game. We're dedicated to making this game as good as it can possibly be, whatever that takes.
I'm guessing we'll see it April of 2017 - which I'm fine with. Except for the fact of the aforementioned other projects that have been started.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well...crap. :cry:

On the plus side of Kickstarters though, my copy of Mythos Tales should be shipping soon. And I'm still enjoying the hell out of Mare Nostrum. :)
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And my copy of Mythos Tales just arrived. That was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting it until next month.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Didn't they have an update or two that discussed the other games? I thought the general reasoning was that they have people that focus different aspects of the game design/production. So the people that have finished their parts can move on to other games.

Or am I confusing that update with one for a different KS?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, they've definitely put out other updates indicating they're taking on more work. Though this last one (With Penny Arcade) was a "surprise" announcement that came out of nowhere at PAX West. It's entirely possible that 100% of the staff tasked with finishing Apocrypha is done with their individual parts and that the holdup now is external. I would agree then that it doesn't make any sense to have idle hands sitting around doing nothing. However, I believe (again, that's my opinion) that if you haven't shipped a product, it's poor form to ask for money to do another product. To do it multiple times? I just don't know how on earth it makes sense, particularly when not only aren't your prior projects delivered but they're running late.

I guess we'll see.
hepcat wrote:And my copy of Mythos Tales just arrived. That was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting it until next month.
Wow. You must live near the shipping center or something as I thought they were just starting that process this week. I also thought it would be arriving later this month (towards the end) but that's good news.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Siege of the Citadel 2nd Edition seems kind of neat. Each player gets a team of heroes that are trying to accomplish something. Every turn the “overlord” player switches. Forcing people to work together but still enforcing a single winner is interesting to me. It also has involvement from Eric Lang which is enough to get my attention.

Never played the game it’s based on though. Following for now.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I found the Mystics of Midguard and Gods of Asguard expansions for Blood Rage at a small comic book store in Chicago. They were out of stock everywhere I looked -- including GenCon and Origins. While I missed out on the special monsters from the Kickstarter, I feel much happier now that I have a (nearly) complete set of the game.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think the Mystics add a ton to the game and can’t imagine playing without them at this point. The Gods…I would have probably sold you mine…We used them twice and decided we didn’t like the way they changed the game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was excited about that until I saw that they've essentially made stretch rewards beyond the core game into progressively more expensive pledge levels. That kind of ticks me off. I see no reason to back it. I'll just wait for retail.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote:I was excited about that until I saw that they've essentially made stretch rewards beyond the core game into progressively more expensive pledge levels. That kind of ticks me off. I see no reason to back it. I'll just wait for retail.
You mean Siege of the Citadel? I have to admit that while I’m interested in the game I have not been impressed with the campaign so far. A lot of information is missing and they haven’t been forthcoming with what is included in a number of items. It’s starting to look like one I will just wait and pickup someday when it’s released at retail as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, Siege of the Citadel. I've always wanted that one. I'm always disappointed that the fun little FFG miniatures game they created out of it was discontinued almost as soon as it was released.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I was thinking about backing Siege of the Citadel, but came to the same conclusion. With no exclusives, I think it is safe to wait until retail. They are also an unproven company (for boardgames, anyway) and I am not clear how the developers are working with the publisher. Also, I have not seen any rules posted and am unclear how this can be solo played.

Still toying with The God's War. But with Cthulhu Wars, I just don't see how it would get played since it scratches the same itch (but lacks a theme appealing to my friends).
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The High Frontier Kickstarter continues to stumble along, never seeming to get any closer to actually printing. A couple of weeks ago, the designer posted this on BGG (emphasis added):
High Frontier 3rd edition is my most expansive game, and one I believe will assume an important role in educating the next generation on the accessibility of space. I personally promise if it is not published by OSS/Ares by Oct 2017 (one year and one month from now), I will publish it myself.

I sent all HF3 files to OSS except for the rules illustrations, and I should be able to get those done in a couple of weeks. I have received as royalties 10% of Kickstarter funds, and because I've had a good year I should be able to afford all the fancy plastic parts. I will also make good on all Kickstarter promises (except of course the ones concerning delivery dates). I expect to put the game up for preorder on my website in October, hopefully purchased from OSS but if necessary published myself.

I heard a rumor that OSS is going to Panda Games to produce HF3. If so, I can vouch for them as they have produced most of my games and have never failed me. I know the owners (the Lee brothers) and the chances they have tricked Ares out of their money is zero.

My reputation is everything to me. Without it, I can no longer make games, and making games is both my profession and my life. Therefore, I am giving Ares/OSS one more year to produce, then I will publish on my own in a timely fashion regardless how much of a loss I will take.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I backed the Tiny Epic Galaxies expansion, Beyond the Black. Moat_Boy asks to play it a lot and it's a fun game if you don't over analyse everything.

I received my copy of Mare Nostrum: Empires a month or so ago (in Canada we took several months longer to get it than the states, boo) and we've played it three times with four players. First game we didn't attack much and Moat_Girl won with a pyramid. The next time there was a bit more combat and I won with pyramid. The last game there was even more military and I won with 4 legendary cities/capitals. We haven't introduced any expansion stuff yet as there is whole lot to the base game.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I'm backing it as well. I'm not a huge fan of most of the tiny epic games but this one is the true gem. Not sure it needs an expansion but I'll give it a go.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. I'm not a fan of the others in the series, but this one does it right. I like where they seem to be going with this expansion too. It's heading towards 4x territory, it sounds like.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's pretty awesome that used copies of Mythos Tales are on eBay already for $25 and I haven't received my KS copy yet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's the only downside of a game like this. Replayability is non existent. But it sounds like they're planning to create more cases, so I'll hang onto mine after I finish it in case they do.

Not sure why your copy is taking so long to arrive though. :?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:Not sure why your copy is taking so long to arrive though. :?
If it was shipped USPS I'll be lucky to ever see it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hey Hentzau, you see this yet?

Blackwater Gulch Second Edition. It's a Wild West skirmish game.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Hey Hentzau, you see this yet?

Blackwater Gulch Second Edition. It's a Wild West skirmish game.
Yeah, I've been following it. I'm not a fan of their figures, personally.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But...but...but they introduce horror elements with these new rules! You know how am I for my weird war II and weird wild west settings!
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well Tiny Epic Western is shipping soon it seems. Looks interesting. We will see.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kingdom Death Monster will be launching a reprint Kickstarter on 11/25/16. You have been warned.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing 250 dollars to get the game. At the very least.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Smoove_B wrote:Kingdom Death Monster will be launching a reprint Kickstarter on 11/25/16. You have been warned.
i played around with the version of this on TTS. It seems neat but not $250 neat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Lordnine wrote:i played around with the version of this on TTS. It seems neat but not $250 neat.
As with many of the miniature-based games I've played, half of the experience is building and painting them. I'm absolutely intrigued by what I know of K:DM, but I would agree that $250 is giving me pause.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The author of CTRL+ALT+DEL picked up a copy the first time around. He had a couple of long write-ups. He was definitely "wowed" by it.

Also, it may not be $250. The first printing was not that much.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud pointed this bad boy out to me:

Laser-cut MDF zeppelin for 28mm gaming

I had seen this in its under construction phases on the Miniature's Page, and always thought it was an amazing looking model. But...man. Just too rich for my blood.

Maybe I should start a "GoFundMe" so I can buy into a Kickstarter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

TheMix wrote:The author of CTRL+ALT+DEL picked up a copy the first time around. He had a couple of long write-ups. He was definitely "wowed" by it.

Also, it may not be $250. The first printing was not that much.
But the first printing also ballooned like crazy with all the stretch goals, and I think wound up retailing for something over $300. The base pledge with stretch goals wound up being a crazy amount of stuff for the money. Basically along the lines of Shadows of Brimstone, except this one actually delivered all the stuff to everyone who backed without holding it hostage.

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a board game, it'd probably be Cthulhu Wars. At least that one stands a vague chance of being played, since it's not a long-form campaign game with a bunch of model building required. No having to glue 30 hands on a bird either. Either one is still bonkers money for a single game, though.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hentzau wrote:Zarathud pointed this bad boy out to me:

Laser-cut MDF zeppelin for 28mm gaming

I had seen this in its under construction phases on the Miniature's Page, and always thought it was an amazing looking model. But...man. Just too rich for my blood.

Maybe I should start a "GoFundMe" so I can buy into a Kickstarter.
That zeppelin is amazing. Owning it would demand adding zeppelin scenarios to every RPG and miniatures game you played, and THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE TO THAT.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.