Nightfall (card game by AEG)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

TigerRider67

Nightfall (card game by AEG)

Post by TigerRider67 »

Has anyone played this game or have any familiarity with it?
I am thinking about picking it up. I see that there are several sets. Does anyone know if these add together or are they separate games?
Probably not making my questions completely clear. I'll explain further if needed.
Thanks in advance for any info offered.

TigerRider :horse:
"No matter how clever the magic-user, a thieves blade is always more subtle!"
Isgrimnur

Re: Nightfall (card game by AEG)

Post by Isgrimnur »

They all add together, although there are certain synergies that work better in-set.

Nightfall, Martial Law, The Coldest War, and Eastern Skies can be run as stand alones. Blood Country, Dark Rages, Crimson Siege are expansions only.

If you have a Apple device, there's an iOS app that allows you to play solo or online.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TigerRider67

Post by TigerRider67 »

Well I don't run an apple system, but I had looked into the iOS.

I've been to the AEG site and watched a few videos of game play. It does seem a bit complex, but seems interesting. Any personal experience with this one?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had the game demoed to me by an AEG representative at a gaming convention a few years ago and I thought my brain was going to explode. After about 45 minutes I still wasn't quite grasping it and he finally said something and then made a face realizing he'd been explaining the game like I understood Magic the Gathering the entire time. I really liked the theme, but I still have no idea how to play and my head hurts just thinking about it. I remember creating something like a snake with the cards and going in one direction and then back...tons of steps and lots to think about. Probably not very helpful but it does seem to be kind of popular (probably because of the theme).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's not really that difficult, but it's certainly a step up from Dominion... the chaining is a confusing concept for someone used to more standard deckbuilders.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TigerRider67

Post by TigerRider67 »

Well have played Dominion. Have to admit it is a fun card game. I am not sure about Nightfall, but am looking for input. So anything you guys offer is great.

TigerRider
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's one of my favorite games, but I don't get to play it enough.

It plays best with 3-4. I like the fact that every player's turn has the ability to involve every player in the chain mechanic, making it less "competitive solitaire" than Dominion can be without the right card mix.

In addition to all the common cards, you get two stacks that, under most circumstances, are just yours. No one else can normally make a claim on them, and the game is based around conflict.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I am more of a fan of dominion (as long as you play with at least 1 attack card). I have Nightfall and have played a few times, I however an not a fan of the game. The chain mechanic is cool, and the "buy decks" are selected in a cool way. There are a lot of mechanics that I really like but the game as a whole was not my thing. I did not enjoy it when I played it.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Did I ever mention how Isg completely decimated hepcat and me in Nightfall at the Origins Game Fair after a 10 minute demo? He took to the chaining mechanic like a shark to chum.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And yet I have never defeated my wife.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Definitely a match made in heaven, you adorable lug.

After dominating Monopoly, my wife won't even come close to the table when we're playing games. But my sister plays board games like a wolf in sheep's clothing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon