Tabletop Audio

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Tabletop Audio

Post by hentzau »

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Re: Tabletop Audio

Post by Blackhawk »

I meant to comment sooner, but I love this. I use audio for gaming all the time. It does a terrific job of setting the mood, as long as you don't have it loud enough to interfere with speech. I usually mix my own - I have stripped all of the audio files from half a dozen games and combine them to play during RPG sessions. My favorite program for handling that, Softrope seems to have been abandoned, and I can't find anything else that does the job half as well.

Lately that has led me to looking at premade loops. I backed a Kickstarter for sounds. I've used YouTube for a few. I also use Fraps to capture video from games. If I'm in an area that sounds particularly cool, I'll stop and record a couple of minutes of video. With both Fraps and YouTube, I strip out and save the audio so I can use it separately. It sounds like a lot, but it only takes a minute or so per clip.

This fits right in with my needs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He made those for himself and his kids to play RPGs to. I note that 'Overland with Oxen' is right next to 'Goblin's Cave' - somebody has the D&D 5th Edition starter set!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I have had that site bookmarked for awhile now (thanks Google + RPG communities) but since we almost never get to play anymore I haven't tried them in session
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: I usually mix my own - I have stripped all of the audio files from half a dozen games and combine them to play during RPG sessions. My favorite program for handling that, Softrope seems to have been abandoned, and I can't find anything else that does the job half as well.
I've found that Softrope still works, it just doesn't save properly. I can make the tracks with all the different backgrounds and random 'flavor sounds, but if I save it and close the program, it won't play the next time.

What I've started doing when I need a certain track, then, is to load up the sounds in Softrope, play it, then record a 15-minute session of it in Audacity. A few seconds to upmix it to use all of my speakers, and I have a custom audio background for whatever I need.