GenCon 2015

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

GenCon 2015

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a non-zero chance that I'll be attending this year, assuming that attempts at purchasing a house don't break my spirit. It's likely to be my only shot in the immediate future, as spawning additional units are in the immediate planning stages post home acquisition.

Convince me that I should take four days off of work and spend a day in the car with three other gamers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Re: GenCon 2015

Post by Zarathud »

I plan to be there with hepcat this year. I'm looking forward to a day of open gaming, an RPG and quite a few demos. Maybe a game of Mage Wars and Eclipse.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

My gang is going without me this year. :(

$9,000 in unexpected home repairs and $2,000 in unexpected car repairs have made Indy impossible.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'll be there but most likely only for one day. My usual MO.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Isgrimnur wrote:There's a non-zero chance that I'll be attending this year, assuming that attempts at purchasing a house don't break my spirit. It's likely to be my only shot in the immediate future, as spawning additional units are in the immediate planning stages post home acquisition.

Convince me that I should take four days off of work and spend a day in the car with three other gamers.
For me GenCon was well worth it. I've only been able to make it once but it was quite the experience. I would love to go again but I simply won't have time... yet again. And now moving further away I don't know when I will make it again. but it is well worth the trip.

Now I need to find a way to make it to Essen...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still only an hour and a half away, close enough that I have doctors' appointments there from time to time (including ten days from now.) I still likely won't go because of the cost, but one of these years!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm still only an hour and a half away, close enough that I have doctors' appointments there from time to time (including ten days from now.) I still likely won't go because of the cost, but one of these years!
I think they have a half price day on the last Sunday, at least they did when I went. It wasn't too bad then.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:I plan to be there with hepcat this year. I'm looking forward to a day of open gaming, an RPG and quite a few demos. Maybe a game of Mage Wars and Eclipse.

And numerous games of "which bathroom hasn't been destroyed!" and "guess the source of the funk!"
Covfefe!
Zarathud

GenCon 2015

Post by Zarathud »

The bathrooms at Origins get sketchy but there are always less convenient ones. A GenCon bathroom generally involves 1D6 Horror checks, and occasionally a trip outside the convention center for relief.

One day I want to walk in wearing a Hazmat suit and announce that I'm not cosplaying but the gamer next to me DOES smell that bad.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Convention Center bathrooms are the #1 reason to stay at a downtown hotel.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and number 2
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think somebody is rolling at least a d12 in those bathrooms.
RMC

Post by RMC »

yeah, I have been there twice and rarely used those restrooms at the convention center. Always ran back to the hotel to use ours. They are icky, with a capital I.

:)

But not going this year. Went last year, and this is a convention that only gets a visit every few years. It's just too expensive for me. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: One day I want to walk in wearing a Hazmat suit and announce that I'm not cosplaying but the gamer next to me DOES smell that bad.
But what if hepcat actually showers and/or liberally applies deodorant? Your clever joke will be ruined!
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Another year that I can't make it. We had a coworker die last year and we still haven't replaced him. As such I am unable to take any time off this July or August :-(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:
Zarathud wrote: One day I want to walk in wearing a Hazmat suit and announce that I'm not cosplaying but the gamer next to me DOES smell that bad.
But what if hepcat actually showers and/or liberally applies deodorant? Your clever joke will be ruined!
you can drop the "and".
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LOL, hepcat must have someplace to maintain his luxurious hair.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I look forward to seeing you guys again and hope to see Isg for the first time. Seeing and meeting Myself, Kato, Jarrod, HellSpawn and Papasmurff should be enough to convince you I would think...
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When the baby is old enough NOT to eat every game piece and die he finds, I'll start going again. I think Seppe said age 14.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Your lack of commitment is disturbing, Jeff V. I make it to the Origins Game Fair every year even while the 2 kids were infants, but GenCon is every other year. The whole point is to leave the kid at home.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, the problem is my wife works nights, including weekend nights. We don't really have anyone with whom we can stash the baby for multiple days at a time. In any case, I can wait. Left to my own devices, I fall back into my media analyst ways and struggle to really enjoy it. Last time I went, I met up with Seppe and Zack and probably had more fun than any time since it was held at UW-Parkside. The thing I miss about not being media is I don't get to come home with a huge bag of swag. Now they expect me to PAY for games! As if!

There were other attractions not affiliated with Gen Con that made Indy fun (Harkonis can attest to that!) Sadly, I can't do that anymore either.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For anyone driving in from out of the area that needs a cheap parking alternative, they just opened up the Gencon event parking schedule. Just go here and select the appropriate date(s). It's $6.60 a day for Gencon at the 101 Alabama Street garage, which is what I went with. It's a little less than half a mile to the convention center though. Still, it's better than spending up to a hundred or more on parking for the 4 or 5 days of the convention.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

GenCon 2015

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm out. The wife was just fired, and that puts nonessential expenses completely out of bounds.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm out. The wife was just fired, and that puts nonessential expenses completely out of bounds.
Ouch sorry to hear about your wife's job.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that Iggie. Best wishes to your wife. I'm sure she'll get right back on the horse though!
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm out as well. Going to be at summer camp with the scouts that weekend. Dammit.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Montag

Post by Montag »

Only going Saturday.
words
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks, guys.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I wish I could go. I've gone twice recently with a great crew, but this year all the XP goes into leveling up the house.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am flying back from a week of Delaware vacation to ride in a car with hepcat to GenCon. If the kids act up that weekend, I am probably going to end up banished to sleeping in the couch when I get back....

You all just need to work on your dedication to board gaming.
Bkwyrm

Post by Bkwyrm »

Couch? Try garage.
Demens, maleficus, et periculosus agnoscere.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:sleeping in the couch
You may be doing that wrong.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Only you can prevent hide-a-bed accidents.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Have fun at GenCon, GenCon people!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Really wishing I was there. First GenCon I've missed in quite a few years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was offered an opportunity to run a game demo this year, but couldn't pull off the secondary expenses. In any case, it looks like it is an open-to-close deal, so I wouldn't actually be able to see GenCon, which would suck.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I did that one year for GDW. It was fun, but it certainly wasn't GenCon. It was a full weekend of hawking Dangerous Journeys.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This was Universal Fighting System. My friend (TigerRider67 here on the forums) took them up on it. I'd have considered it (I'm actually pretty good at teaching games), but the gas to get there and dinners (breakfast and lunch are provided) are more than I can afford, plus I'd be worried that four days in a crowd, plus probably sharing a room with strangers would get my anxiety up.

I also don't know that I could talk that long, four days in a row. My mouth ain't what it used to be.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just saw a blurb from the Dice Tower guys that Upper Deck announced at their party on Saturday that there are two new Legendary games coming out, Firefly and Big Trouble in Little China.

Interesting...