Assassinorum: Execution Force (40k Co-op boardgame)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

Assassinorum: Execution Force (40k Co-op boardgame)

Post by Lordnine »

Assassinorum: Execution Force

I just got an email about this, probably because I bought the recent Space Hulk printing. Since Space Hulk sold out in a number of days, if you are interested at all, you may want to jump on it.
A brand-new boxed game, Assassinorum: Execution Force gives four Imperial Assassins an incredibly important mission - slay Chaos Lord Drask before his dark ritual brings about the end of the Imperium itself! A fast-paced co-operative game for one to four players, it blends stealth, tactics, subtle forward-thinking and outright blazing violence into a fantastic, tense, action-packed experience that is accessible to board game players of any level.
Smoove_B

Re: Assassinorum: Execution Force (40k Co-op boardgame)

Post by Smoove_B »

$125
Wowzers. And people complain about KS prices. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

That price may seem high, but the game looks like Space Hulk levels of quality.

I might be sorely tempted by this one, given it is WH40K, co-op, gritty, and the models are amazing.

Did anyone see if you have to assemble said models or not?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote:Did anyone see if you have to assemble said models or not?
If you go down to the bottom of the page, they suggest tools you'll need to play the game -- including glue and cutters. I'm guessing this means yes assembly is required.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:That price may seem high, but the game looks like Space Hulk levels of quality.

I might be sorely tempted by this one, given it is WH40K, co-op, gritty, and the models are amazing.

Did anyone see if you have to assemble said models or not?
I’m guessing it’s exactly the same as the Space Hulk 4th Edition, which came out a few months ago. They came on spruces and required assembly, but they snap together snugly, so glue isn't technically required. I will say, if the quality is on par with Space Hulk, you will not be disappointed with the production values. Space Hulk has the best components I've seen in a board game.

I placed an order for it. I’m a sucker for anything 40k and the fact that it supports multiple players means it will make it to my table a lot more than Space Hulk.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:
baelthazar wrote:Did anyone see if you have to assemble said models or not?
If you go down to the bottom of the page, they suggest tools you'll need to play the game -- including glue and cutters. I'm guessing this means yes assembly is required.
Good eye! My birthday is coming up and I am so so tempted to get this as my "present." The companion book also looks pretty sweet, although I'm not familiar with Joe Parrino.

Since they keep saying this is "limited" in quantity, I am both worried and heartened. Worried because it will probably never be expanded and it will be "as is" forever. Heartened because I know if I buy this, paint the minis, and then resell it, I will likely make a profit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

GW defines limited as "just until we can sell it again at a higher price".

I will never purchase anything from them again.
Covfefe!
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

That is a terrible name. "Ass, ass in your rum." Looks cool though.
There is no hug button. Sad!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

killbot737 wrote:That is a terrible name. "Ass, ass in your rum." Looks cool though.
It also doesn't make sense in Latin. First, there is no word "Assassin" (comes from Arabic for the Hashshashin, or Hash Smokers) in Latin (they use a variety of other words). Second, the -orum ending is possessive, so it would mean "of the Assassins (plural)."

I guess Latin deviates in the 40K years since the beginning of man.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isn't the Latin in 40K actually supposed to be English, or something?

It's been a while since I was in the fluff.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Holman wrote:Isn't the Latin in 40K actually supposed to be English, or something?

Kinda sorta, yes. Also, apparently the full title of the group is Officio Assassinorum, which is more grammatically correct but still wrong. Now the "of assassins" works, but Officio is in Dative or Ablative case, so it would need to be a direct object or a prepositional phrase. It should be "Officium Assassinorum" or, more correct, Officium Interfectorum (or Paracidarum - which means the killer of a head of state).

But yeah, I think the lore is that English became "latinized' in the 40K universe.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I just found out that the D&D Temple of Elemental Evil game releases this week, so I think I'll get that instead. They seem to share a lot of mechanics, but you get more minis for half the price in the D&D games.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You can find a bunch of photos of the game here.

Looking at some of pictures on that page, it looks like there will be a *bit* more assembly than was required with Space Hulk. :shock:

Also, here are all the models.

Enlarge Image
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Also, someone on BGG has pieced together some game-play mechanics.

Doesn't sound super complex but not bad either. Still, much like Space Hulk, this does appear to be a game sold on its setting and production values more than game-play.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yeah, I wondered how one was to assemble those assassins, since most of them are standing on something!

The minis are, as expected, amazing. I think they may be out of my league (although I did fine with Space Hulk). The gameplay sounds interesting and it all comes down to how the event cards, special abilities, and room tiles work. Replay seems somewhat limited, though.

This looks like a wait and see for me. I'm going to liquidate some of my collection, so I may pick it up if there are still some in stock and the buzz is good.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote:
Holman wrote:Isn't the Latin in 40K actually supposed to be English, or something?

Kinda sorta, yes. Also, apparently the full title of the group is Officio Assassinorum, which is more grammatically correct but still wrong. Now the "of assassins" works, but Officio is in Dative or Ablative case, so it would need to be a direct object or a prepositional phrase. It should be "Officium Assassinorum" or, more correct, Officium Interfectorum (or Paracidarum - which means the killer of a head of state).

But yeah, I think the lore is that English became "latinized' in the 40K universe.
Man - I was going to get this game, but then I found out that the space latin in it was grammatically incorrect.
Black Lives Matter.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just received my tracking number. That is a bit faster than I was expecting. I might have impressions by next week!

And the version of the game that comes with the paints has already sold out...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

El Guapo wrote:
baelthazar wrote:

Man - I was going to get this game, but then I found out that the space latin in it was grammatically incorrect.
What can I say... I have too much education and too much nerdiness!

Lordnine, I look forward to your impressions. I suspect my local GW store will have some of these in stock, if I suddenly change my mind.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

baelthazar wrote:
killbot737 wrote:That is a terrible name. "Ass, ass in your rum." Looks cool though.
It also doesn't make sense in Latin. First, there is no word "Assassin" (comes from Arabic for the Hashshashin, or Hash Smokers) in Latin (they use a variety of other words). Second, the -orum ending is possessive, so it would mean "of the Assassins (plural)."

I guess Latin deviates in the 40K years since the beginning of man.
Mankind has two main official languages in WH40k. One is Low Gothic, which is "the common tongue" and completely different from our modern languages. The other is High Gothic, which is derived from our Latin but isn't the exact same. There's no English in 40k. "Assassinorum" is a perfectly valid title for High Gothic, as far as I can tell.
Insert witty comment here.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Heh, heh, Butthead, check it out. I put ass in your rum. Heh. Heh.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... has anyone actually picked this up and played it? Really curious if it is worth the $124 as my FLGS has a couple of copies.
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote:
Heh, heh, Butthead, check it out. I put ass in your rum. Heh. Heh.
That's an example of very low Gothic...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My copy arrived today. I haven't had a chance to look over all the rules or try to play yet but I've honestly got to say, initial impressions are slightly negative. I hold that Space Hulk remains the most impressive board game package (component wise) I've seen, but this falls way short from that. Also, since miniatures are a large part of this, I can confirm that unlike Space Hulk's minis that snapped together neatly, all of these miniatures require glue.

Some pictures, click to make bigger:

Enlarge Image
The box is surprisingly small compared to Space Hulk. XCOM and Cthulhu for overall size comparisons.

Enlarge Image
Everything in the box. The book is full color and has some good story lore. The models are definitely nice but otherwise everything looks a bit thin...

Enlarge Image
Boards are fine enough but compared to the embossed Space Hulk tiles, they look a bit plain. Space Hulk figures used for scale.

So, component wise, this looks more like a $50 game and $40 worth of miniatures with a $35 Warhammer tax tacked on.

That said, gameplay is king so I will post back once I've had a chance to test everything out.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I have assembled the assassins! They are itty bitty. I have come to the conclusion that if imperial guardsmen infantry are this detailed and tiny, anyone who assembles and plays their army in tabletop 40k is nuts.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

There were no survivors!

Finally played a game of this tonight. Final turn went down to the wire. We technically won but all of our assassins died in the process.

Things started out pretty good; we were stealthing around, uncovering rooms when our Vindicare assassin uncovered a room with two guards stationed in it. We thought that we could just power through and kill both guards before the alarm went up but he managed to miss both shots. Making matters worse, a Chaos Marine happened to change his patrol route at just that moment and heard the shots go off. Soon the whole left side of the base was crawling with guards. The Vindicare is pretty terrible in melee combat so just took off running. Unfortunately, this just made the cultist spread fire and soon the whole base was alerted to our presence.

We spent the next 5 turns ducking in and out of corners trying to uncover the teleporter and generator. The generator happened to be the last room we uncovered and the Callidus assassin gave her life to activate it.

Our three remaining assassins gathered in the Inner Sanctum to take on the Chaos Sorcerer. We learned quickly that Lord Drask was nothing to take lightly and he single handedly beat down the Culexus and Vindicare. That left a beat up Eversor. Chaos Space Marines and cultist were starting to filter into the summoning chamber and you could almost feel the smug Chaos Sorcerer laughing at us. With only one hitpoint left, the Eversor chose to activate his Bio-meltdown ability, killing himself, Lord Drask and everyone else in the summoning circle in one final glorious explosion.

-

So that’s my first impression story. It’s actually fun and if you can get a group of friends who are into it, very tense. That said, replayability seems pretty limited and it’s definitely overpriced.
Last edited by Lordnine on Sun May 17, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

It is a shame about the price. I like what I hear about the game, but nothing makes it stand out more than other similar co-ops. You really do see the "$35-450 GW tax" people talk about.