Origin of the D&D magic missile spell?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

So Monte Cook just posted a link to the final battle from a Vincent Price movie called the Raven. He had this to say:
If you want to know where D&D's magic missiles come from, it's right here. (I'd take a guess that a few other D&D spells were influenced by that too, but I only know for a fact about magic missile.)
Link to the video
https://youtu.be/GKm7NloL8bA
Daehawk

Re: Origin of the D&D magic missile spell?

Post by Daehawk »

Theres spoilers in that video! :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

True, if you plan on watching the whole movie, then maybe skip watch it :-P
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think I saw a Prismatic Spray in there too.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

That was the cheesiest and most anti-climactic wizard battle I have ever seen. :)

I remember another movie that must have been done at around the same time (it had the same sort of effects and I'm pretty sure Vincent Price was in it too). There was a whole deal about casting spells with just motion and not having to say anything. Sometime near the end someone they thought was down makes gun fingers and shoots the crap out of some other wizard. It was a much better interpretation of what I thought Magic Missile would be like. None of this movie's hand-wavy shoo fly garbage! :pop:
There is no hug button. Sad!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So were the Magic Missiles the ones that were shaped like daggers? Or the ball things that exploded? I assume they were the daggers, because it looked like he used a shield spell to block them. :D

And why didn't they include a "Summon Cannon" spell in the game? Best Spell Ever!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've always seen Magic Missile as looking like the glowing super-balls from Hawk the Slayer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

By the way, if you did not notice, the man with the Raven on his shoulder (watching the battle at around 2:12) is a very young Jack Nicholson.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And Boris Karloff
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I thought it was from the 50's short story "Mazirian the Magician", which I started recently, but never finished.

Lots of D&D spells in that.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It could be, just taking Monte Cook's word here. He was involved in D&D enough and had enough contact with Gyax and Anderson that I will take his word for it
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Most of the iconic D&D spells had their roots in translating war game stuff to a squad-based fantasy tactical game. For example, lightning bolt acted like it did originally (a line which bounced off walls) because it used the rules for cannons, while fireball used the rules for catapults. Those two examples are straight from Arneson's mouth, for the record.

Also, the reason we use d4s, d8s, d10s, and d12s is because Gygax and Arneson could only get dice as complete sets for use in their beginner box. There was no real market for dice outside of gambling (which used d6s exclusively) and dice used for teaching math and statistics, which were sold in sets.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zurai wrote: Also, the reason we use d4s, d8s, d10s, and d12s is because Gygax and Arneson could only get dice as complete sets for use in their beginner box. There was no real market for dice outside of gambling (which used d6s exclusively) and dice used for teaching math and statistics, which were sold in sets.
and the battleaxe arbitrarily caused 1d12 damage because the dodecagon die was (extremely) underutilized in the game.