RPG decision paralysis

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Pyperkub

RPG decision paralysis

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone else suffer from this? I'll get stuck in RPG's sometimes because I don't want to make a particular decision, usually in a conversation tree, when I know it will change the game and irrevocably set me down a particular path.

Sometimes I can go do something else (TES games are great at this), but most often the decision is necessary to move the story forward, and while I want to continue the story, sometimes I just want to adventure as I want to and I can't, or at least have the opportunity to make it up later. The games with the grayest decisions get this way a lot (e.g. Witcher #1, which I've gotten stuck in many times).

Saving and reloading with a different decision is usually possible, but is just such a PITA to wade through a lot of content again.

I know this is a feature, but sometimes it results in me just dropping the game and never finishing it. Anyone else like this, or is it just my natural desire to procrastinate?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
IceBear

Re: RPG decision paralysis

Post by IceBear »

From comments others have made, I don't think you're alone. I just try to stay true to the personality that I have determined my character has and just go with consistent decisions, even if they aren't optimal or ideal game wise
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm awful with this in BioWare games. Their 'short version' responses that you choose don't always reflect the full import of what you actually say. Inquisition's icon system helped somewhat, but you still sometimes select 'no thanks' and end up angrily telling an ambassador to fuck off. This has occasionally led me to looking up spoilers before choosing an answer on important matters.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just sort of move through and go with my gut. I've learned over the last 20 years that I cannot play RPGs over and over and over again -- mainly because when I try to go back and select different character or dialogue options, I'm constantly remembering what I did the first time and how this second time doesn't feel right. Yes whatever you say or do might change the overall story (or character arc) but going back and reading about how different decisions changed things (in a strategy guide or online Wiki) is also rather enjoyable -- when you have a frame of reference based on how *your* story unfolded.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in this boat now with Far Cry 4 actually. I dont like having to pick a path between two idiots and kill someone I dont want to kill. I stopped playing and haven't touched it in over 2 weeks because of this.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I did this with Fallout New Vegas. I no longer recall what the choices were - I think I might have gotten as far as meeting Mr. House, but not much beyond that. So, unable to decide what to do, I stopped.

Years later, I've restarted with a new character. I'm hoping I'll be able to move on past the decision point I stopped at. I wonder if I should go look at the Fallout New Vegas thread for hints?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I learned to stop worrying about it for the following reasons:

1. Obviously if the developer gave you a choice, then any choice is equally valid.

2. Unless you plan on replaying multiple times, you will only get to see one path regardless of which option you choose.

3. Most games are more interested in giving you the illusion of choice than giving you actual choice. The number of games that change drastically (beyond a cutscene change or different dialogue) are few and far between. Most developers don't have the time and money to craft two completely separate games based on your dialogue choices. Chances are you're making an "agonizing" decision that impacts the game experience as a whole in an extremely minor way, if at all.

4. They call them "role" playing games for a reason. You are playing a role, so there is no right or wrong. Like IceBear, I base decisions on what I think my character would say or do, and live with it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote:I learned to stop worrying about it for the following reasons:

1. Obviously if the developer gave you a choice, then any choice is equally valid.
I can usually push forward based on this. I generally trust that devs try to ensure that their is no "best" choice. One choice might get you a slightly cooler item or a slightly different quest, but won't make or break your game.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you have this problem, don't play Witcher 3. Timed choices will drive you nuts. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: 4. They call them "role" playing games for a reason. You are playing a role, so there is no right or wrong. Like IceBear, I base decisions on what I think my character would say or do, and live with it.
This is frequently the cause of the problem for me, not the solution. I know what my character would do in that situation, I just can't always tell which of the four-word summaries represents that choice. I've often had to guess, only to have my guess mean something completely different than I thought it would.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote:
YellowKing wrote: 4. They call them "role" playing games for a reason. You are playing a role, so there is no right or wrong. Like IceBear, I base decisions on what I think my character would say or do, and live with it.
This is frequently the cause of the problem for me, not the solution. I know what my character would do in that situation, I just can't always tell which of the four-word summaries represents that choice. I've often had to guess, only to have my guess mean something completely different than I thought it would.
Just like in real life, eh?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NickAragua wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: This is frequently the cause of the problem for me, not the solution. I know what my character would do in that situation, I just can't always tell which of the four-word summaries represents that choice. I've often had to guess, only to have my guess mean something completely different than I thought it would.
No, when I walk up to someone I may not know how they'll react to what I say, but I rarely attempt to say "I don't think that's a good idea" and instead say, "That idea stinks! What kind of idiot would think that doing that was anything short of moronic!"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: This is frequently the cause of the problem for me, not the solution. I know what my character would do in that situation, I just can't always tell which of the four-word summaries represents that choice. I've often had to guess, only to have my guess mean something completely different than I thought it would.
No, when I walk up to someone I may not know how they'll react to what I say, but I rarely attempt to say "I don't think that's a good idea" and instead say, "That idea stinks! What kind of idiot would think that doing that was anything short of moronic!"
And yet, they'll think the latter is what you said anyway.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
I had something like this semi-recently in Dragon Age: Inquisition, as part of the mage rebellion storyline quests:
Spoiler:
If you pick the mages, you learn that they invited in foreign agents (the Tevinter Imperium) and nearly caused the apocalypse, so naturally they're not terribly popular with most of the people in the room. You can then choose to either invite them into the Inquisition as allies, or compel them to enter as conscripts (basically slaves, I think). We need their help with the massive daemonic breach so I figured the slave option wouldn't be so great.

Still, I was annoyed when I picked the ally option and my guy proudly announced to the mages (and the room), "I invite you to join a Grand Alliance!" I was like dude, these people almost ended the world! Play down the pomp a little bit and maybe say something like 'you can choose to join our organization subject to our authority' or something.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
I had something like this semi-recently in Dragon Age: Inquisition, as part of the mage rebellion storyline quests:
Spoiler:
If you pick the mages, you learn that they invited in foreign agents (the Tevinter Imperium) and nearly caused the apocalypse, so naturally they're not terribly popular with most of the people in the room. You can then choose to either invite them into the Inquisition as allies, or compel them to enter as conscripts (basically slaves, I think). We need their help with the massive daemonic breach so I figured the slave option wouldn't be so great.

Still, I was annoyed when I picked the ally option and my guy proudly announced to the mages (and the room), "I invite you to join a Grand Alliance!" I was like dude, these people almost ended the world! Play down the pomp a little bit and maybe say something like 'you can choose to join our organization subject to our authority' or something.
This is why I like Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim so much. If you get a dialog choice like that, quick save, kill them all, then reload. It offsets the unintended "we're best friends now" result of the dialog. They'll feel something is amiss but they're not sure exactly what. It's as if you killed them in an alternate timeline...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If the game allows it, I will generally pick the most goody two shoes choices the first time through. If the game is worth a replay I will then pick the most evil choices the second time through. KOTOR excelled at this.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter