Games that start with fantasy but end in scifi?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

killbot737

Games that start with fantasy but end in scifi?

Post by killbot737 »

I Loved the scifi aspects at the end of Might and Magic, Wizardry and the first Ultima (although becoming a space ace was kind of a pain). I also liked the alternate settings of Ulima Mars and Jungle.

Are there similar games that anyone knows about? I've looked at the .hack series, but I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs.

I think someone with a Games Workshop license could make a sweet game about becoming a space marine. Some of the chapters recruit from "primitive" worlds, they could have the first part of the game be an adventure to become a man or whatever, and then the marines come and recruit your dumb ass and then you get to fight For The Emperor!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Holman

Re: Games that start with fantasy but end in scifi?

Post by Holman »

Everything Gygax leads here, apparently.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I just picked up the latest edition of Metamorphosis Alpha.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Ah yeah, I forgot about Metamorphosis Alpha. I've got the latest mega-version too. A friend of mine got the oversized hardcover reprint for some reason. We never played that game when we were kids.

I suppose Gamma World could go fantasy->scifi too, depending on how you start out. Almost like the crappy beginning of Fallout 2, except I think you also start out with dynamite (single charge rods of delayed blast fireball) too.

I have a copy of Barrier Peaks too. I read it so much that the cover separated into two pagesfrom stress!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Holman

Post by Holman »

My friends and I collectively wrote Gamma World fan fiction in 7th grade. I wonder if one of them still has it.

We also wrote an Apocalypse Now-themed story about the Smurfs. I believe that one is in a drawer at my parents' house.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

How far back are you willing to go? Phantasy Star (IV) was like that. I think you can get it as part of Genesis collection on PS3.

---edit---

Oh, missed the no JRPG thing. That is the genre most likely to play that trope.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Shadowrun is a game setting that went from fantasy, to scifi, then to both mixed.

The upcoming Numenera game has similar tones, it's so far in the future that tech is indistinguishable from magic for the people of that world.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I was going to question the upcoming part as the pen and paper Numenera has been available for a couple of years but then I remembered the upvoming crpg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Something Awful has a sometimes wonderful series called WTF, D&D? where they mock old RPGs.

Here's one part of their treatment of Rift, which seems to throw fantasy, SF, and present-day into a blender and strain the result through a fine mesh of pretentious nonsense.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Altered Reality: Dungeon/City from the Commodore days.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ultima I

edit: oh, you mention that right away. :oops:

posted without reading... sorry.