Infinity (tabletop miniature skirmish game)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

The Rocketman

Infinity (tabletop miniature skirmish game)

Post by The Rocketman »

Why do I feel such a love for Tabletop miniature gaming pictures? After reading this review (http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/po ... -infinity/) about Infinity, it really sounds like a very fun system. It seems to be a bit more of a simulation, than a game. Coupled with awesome pictures of these fantastically detailed miniatures in fantastically detailed scenery, and I know I may be able to resist buying into this game temporarily, but probably not permanently...

Anyone here tried it?
hepcat

Re: Infinity (tabletop miniature skirmish game)

Post by hepcat »

Like you, I read that review on SUaSD and started thinking about picking up a starter box. But I can't justify the cost right now, considering I have two other miniature games I play (Malifaux and Warmahordes)...plus Star Trek Attack Wing.

But it does sound like it's fun.
Covfefe!
Turtle

Re: Infinity (tabletop miniature skirmish game)

Post by Turtle »

I play it. However, it is very much a game, not a simulation. Some fans like to go overboard with the praise on it so I like to temper some of that.

The gamiest element of it is the order system, where every model on the tabletop generates an Order, but those orders can be spent on anyone any number of times including spending orders on a single model to have it move all the way across the board moving and shooting all along the way. This balances out due to the way the reaction system works, and leads to some fun heroics. However, it has one major downside, in that you get the cheerleader syndrome, where you take cheap grunt troops to fill points and generate orders so that they can cheer on the elite heavy hitters with their orders. You'll have to get used to half your army not moving, and probably dying to the stuff everyone takes that drops in behind the lines.

The company behind it has really weird practices in regards to releases. But thankfully the newest miniatures are great. However, never buy any miniature you don't really like, or looks older. They're in the middle of replacing large chunks of their miniature line, including a lot of starter sets.

If you are interested in the game, I urge you to never buy the rulebook and instead just buy the minis and enjoy the game. They release all the rules online as PDFs for free so far, and I have the say the physical rulebooks currently available are not worth the money due to the way they break up the books and price them. The core rulebook isn't actually enough to play with most of the cool units you might want to start with.