Upcoming Board Games

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Upcoming Board Games

Post by hepcat »

Just thought I'd start a big ol' general thread for people to talk about upcoming games they're looking forward to.

I just saw a blurb for a game from Ystari called Shakespeare that I'm all excited for now.
The theaters of London are abuzz. In one week, her majesty the Queen will attend their new shows and will grant her support to one of the troupes. It's the chance of a lifetime for the young authors who are inflaming the populace with ever more audacious and motley plays. But how do you create a masterpiece in such a short time? Whoever has the answer to this thorny question will probably enter the rolls of history!

In Shakespeare, players are theater managers who must recruit actors, craftsmen, jewelers and others in order to assemble everything needed for the play's performance at week's end.
More details:
In more detail, the game lasts six days and on each day players recruit one new character — starting with five at the beginning of the game: four identical ones on their individual player board and one that they've drafted — and take 1-5 actions with the characters they have. Characters and their actions are:

• Actors: Rehearse one or more acts in the three-act play; the more you rehearse, the more benefits you receive during the dress rehearsals on days four and six.
• Costume mistress: Take costume elements to enhance your actors; if they lack a complete costume, they can't participate in the dress rehearsals.
• Set dresser: Build the set. The more elaborate the set you build, the more rewards you receive — but the set must be symmetrical!
• Handyman: Set them to work on whatever you need. These joes can assemble both costumes and sets, but they're not very good at it.
• Assistant: Increase the power of your craftsmen, i.e., the three roles described above.
• Jeweler: Take a gold costume element or set piece to dazzle the crowd.
• Queen: Earn money by giving her an early peek, or gain an objective to win her favor on the final day.

After players take actions, they check the individual ambience level in their theater, gaining or losing points or rehearsal time depending on the atmosphere. Dress rehearsal on the fourth and sixth days provide another chance for fully-dressed actors to perform, and those who are well-rehearsed earn points or money.

On all but the final days, players must allow characters who performed to rest, with only one of those characters being able to work the next day. Thus, the more you put them to work today, the less you'll be able to do tomorrow — but those who don't plan to do as much act before other players, so that might be a good thing.

In the end, players must pay their actors, with each unpaid actor blemishing your reputation and costing you points. Whoever finishes with the most prestige points wins.

It sounds a bit like Colosseum...which is fine by me, since I love that game.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Re: Upcoming Board Games

Post by LordMortis »

Sounds like a cousin of:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... lockbuster

I watched a game of Hollywood Blockbuster get played and it drafted a lot like 7 Wonders. I never really formed a good or bad opinion of the game.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

The game I am most excited about?

Blood Rage. Supposed to come out in September, and I can hardly wait!! I got the kickstarter (along with the art book, or course). But man, this game looks like it will be so much fun.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Dice Tower was really pimping Blood Rage. Sounds like a great mash-up of different game types.

I'm also really looking forward to Flick 'Em Up, which I posted about in the Gaming Randomness thread. It's an Old West disc flicking game with really high production values and some really cool game mechanics. Should be out end of the month/early August.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My top two at the moment are Rum & Bones and Blood Rage. Both look great and came with loads of KS extras. Hopefully this will make August and September fun months!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm looking forward to Mysterium getting released here. It's a game that takes place in a haunted house, where one player plays the ghost and must pass clues on to the living in the form of Dixit type cards that represent dreams.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Add me to the group of people looking forward to Posthuman. I also just remembered that I preordered the expansion for Fallen - Cursed Sands, which I'm guessing should be shipping soon-ish.

In general, it's going to be a busy 2-3 months. Tons of stuff allegedly coming.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: I also just remembered that I preordered the expansion for Fallen - Cursed Sands, which I'm guessing should be shipping soon-ish.
Ditto. I had forgotten about that one...well, actually two.
Defiant wrote:I'm looking forward to Mysterium getting released here. It's a game that takes place in a haunted house, where one player plays the ghost and must pass clues on to the living in the form of Dixit type cards that represent dreams.
Zarathud and I heard some folks raving about it at Origins. I'm also looking forward to playing it. We actually saw someone with it out in the open gaming room one night, but they were closing up so we didn't get a chance to play.
Covfefe!
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

oh yeah...that's right.

The expansions for Fallen should be due out anytime now, AND....I have read that there should be an expansion or two for Baseball Highlights 2045 around September.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573