[Wil Wheaton] Conversations With Designers

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Daehawk

[Wil Wheaton] Conversations With Designers

Post by Daehawk »

Seems to be a new round table interview web show hosted by Wil.

First up Bungie

I think Bungie has failed with Destiny. I play it and its popular but its simplistic and instanced and thats it. Its not a big game. You can get to lvl 20 in a few days then you grind and grind from there. In fact even with Halo and all their hits Id say Bungie either doesn't know how to create a good full game or they just dont have te talent. Yet ive bought and played and finished all the Halo series of games.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JSHAW

Re: [Wil Wheaton] Conversations With Designers

Post by JSHAW »

Destiny a failure?

Depends on who you ask.

Looking at the facts, it was a commercial success that sold many many millions.

It still has many millions of players that are still locked into it's grind. Yeah, it's a grind.

One of the funny things about Destiny is that it comes with no instructions. It doesn't tell you how
to play. As a player you have to figure things out for yourself, or find it's reddit page and ask some
questions.

I give Bungie credit for this much with Destiny ; They know they've made mistakes with it, and that
it's still a work in progress. They know that a valuable asset is their fanbase, and they are reading
comments on reddit and their forums and attempting to add features in the game that the fans
have asked for.
Blackhawk

Re: [Wil Wheaton] Conversations With Designers

Post by Blackhawk »

You won't be able to call it a success or a failure until you see how many buy the sequel. It was touted as the start of a franchise. People bought it, not on the strength of the Destiny brand, but on Bungie's history. Many of those people (myself included) were deeply disappointed with the result, and may not buy, nor urge friends to buy, any sequels.

Bungie absolutely had a successful game, but we'll see whether the project that is Destiny is a success later on.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)