Sleeved Cards

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Buatha

Sleeved Cards

Post by Buatha »

Seriously, how do you shuffle these things? I got some Dragonshield sleeves and trying to shuffle them keeps like 2-5 of them together. I've had better luck with some matte sleeves, but they really dull the view of the cards.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Zarathud

Re: Sleeved Cards

Post by Zarathud »

No idea. I can barely shuffle regular cards.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I only sleeve a game's cards if I think they're too flimsy to stand up to repeated plays. I find shuffling sleeved cards to be a huge pain in the ass as well. I remember sending cards flying while playing Star Trek Fleet Captains on more than one occasion.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll usually wash sleeved cards on the table when they need to be shuffled. I mean...they're protected, so smooshing (technical term) them all together and mixing them around seems to be a safe strategy. You can sometimes riffle them, but everything really depends on the thickness of the sleeves.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Buatha wrote:Seriously, how do you shuffle these things? I got some Dragonshield sleeves and trying to shuffle them keeps like 2-5 of them together. I've had better luck with some matte sleeves, but they really dull the view of the cards.
I sleeve all my cards and this is how I do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjLp5wh5y90

I only use FFG's high quality sleeves, and I find they rarely stick together. It does add some "bulk" to the cards, but that is acceptable to prevent damage.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Okay, good. I thought I lacked something due to genetics...I mean, my big toe is the longest compared to all of my other friends whose second toe is actually longer than their "big" toe. Maybe I should give them the deck and see what they can do with it.

Right now, I just sort of randomize the deck into three or four stacks and then just stack them...then do it again. Hell, that might actually be better than shuffling.

The reason I'm doing this was because someone designed a way to play the Call of Cthulhu LCG game solo using a procedure much like Race for the Galaxy's bot in The Gathering Storm. The cards were gathering dust, and now, I'm actually excited to play it again. Along with Netrunner, I just start at the pretty pictures of my card games since I seem to have un-lucked out with neighbors who can't get past Pandemic.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

If they are decent enough sleeves I don't have a problem shuffling them. (Dragonshield should work fine)

The key is to shuffle them long end towards each other instead of short end towards each other like you would with unsleeved cards. I'm talking riffle shuffling fwiw.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Thanks for the advice, guys, but the "push them together" method still clumps them some, so I shuffle, then deal them into piles, and consider that pretty damn good randomization.

I may post write-ups of the solo games (if they are fun) since I think the CoC LCG is a little underrated. Its card pool is now quite massive.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I used to find that over time and use the clumping happened less than when the sleeves were new. But yeah I just used to randomly put them into stacks most of the time
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Buatha wrote: The reason I'm doing this was because someone designed a way to play the Call of Cthulhu LCG game solo using a procedure much like Race for the Galaxy's bot in The Gathering Storm. The cards were gathering dust, and now, I'm actually excited to play it again. Along with Netrunner, I just start at the pretty pictures of my card games since I seem to have un-lucked out with neighbors who can't get past Pandemic.
:shock: Link, please! I love that game but never get to play it.
Covfefe!
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Buatha wrote: I may post write-ups of the solo games (if they are fun) since I think the CoC LCG is a little underrated. Its card pool is now quite massive.
Yes, please do. I have owned the game for years and have never gotten it to the table. I've been playing loads of solo games recently and would love to hear your thoughts.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Buatha wrote:Seriously, how do you shuffle these things? I got some Dragonshield sleeves and trying to shuffle them keeps like 2-5 of them together. I've had better luck with some matte sleeves, but they really dull the view of the cards.
The whole idea when you sleeve a card is not to shuffle it in the deck. You only bring it out when necessary. Sleeved cards should be used sparingly but always remember to get them back in play before someone can figure out it's missing from the deck. Sometimes it's a good idea to deal a sleeved card as well.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wait...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

The first link is the culmination of someone's effort to document the variant based on discussions in the second link. The process is not perfect, but it is better than staring at my CoC game in the bookshelf.

Link to PDFs (BBG Login Required for Download):
Cthulhu Rising - Version 2

Discussion around its creation methodology in addition to comments from above:
Solitaire Variant
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Fishbelly wrote:
Buatha wrote: I may post write-ups of the solo games (if they are fun) since I think the CoC LCG is a little underrated. Its card pool is now quite massive.
Yes, please do. I have owned the game for years and have never gotten it to the table. I've been playing loads of solo games recently and would love to hear your thoughts.
Conroe? Wow, you're close. I lived in Willis most of my high school years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks, rules printed and readied for later this week! :D

And it sounds like you should be getting hold of Fishbelly for some game nights.
Covfefe!
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Buatha wrote:The first link is the culmination of someone's effort to document the variant based on discussions in the second link. The process is not perfect, but it is better than staring at my CoC game in the bookshelf.
Thanks for the links. I will take a look at them today.

Willis, huh? One of the few towns around that make Conroe feel like the "big city". :mrgreen:
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Just in case folks don't read the discussion under the PDF, I've edited a response for clarity and emphasis by me:

The 3rd Domain can be used to bring in additional characters or support.

The Domains can vary to meet the Minions needs depending on what cards you have in your hand.

The first two Domains you use have specified uses:
Domain 1: Pay and play Character
Domain 2: Pay and play Support

If you don't have one or the other of these cards in hand, then the Domains can be used for other things. Domain 3 is open to pay for card actions or higher cost events, but can also be used to pay for Support or other Characters if you don't intend to save it for card actions or events.

One thing that may not be clear in the guide is that while I have identified the Domains as 1,2 and 3, this is for increasing the resources available to Minion. It does not mean that Domain 1 is only used for characters. You can use any one of the Domains to pay for a character and then any one of the remaining domains to pay for support. The only Domain that cannot be used for purchase of support or characters is the 4th Events Domain.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Pile shuffle, then mash together several times.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Here's how I do it, you just have to make sure you get a good enough grip with your thumb and don't move too fast to avoid only shuffling in groups of 4-5 cards. I do several of these, then a bit of in-hand stacking top to bottom, then repeat.

Video of me shuffling on a dirty mousepad

the video kinda looks like it's clumping more than I prefer, part is just the video not really showing it and part is I was a bit sloppy due to arthritic pain today, sorry. I've tested the randomization of my shuffles in the past when I played a lot of MTG and it was fine.

(apparently I am in love with commas)
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Wow, man, thanks! I don't think anyone has taken the time to make a video to answer my specific question. Thank you, sir!
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Just a heads up on those awaiting Print-on-Demand for older Asylum Packs. The review I just read was not very pleasing, and while it was stated by FFG that there would be a "slight" difference in print quality, you will definitely need to sleeve the PoD cards.

So, due to my OCD with having a complete set, I ordered these PoDs of the Dreamlands Cycle to obtain the 2 copies of cards when FFG didn't have their crap together with those 10 single "Rares" and 3 copies of everything else in the 40 card Asylum Packs. If anyone, say Hepcat, who were early adopters, I can help one person out with at least a single set of those 10 "rares" per pack since I'll only need two of the three in the packs I just bought. Additionally, that leaves the 3 copies that I already possess if you don't mind missing 10 out of every 20 cards in a pack to bolster your decks.

Of course, I'd rather have the ability to get those missing sets instead of them being out of print completely, but it's too bad that they are apparently so noticeable. Now, I wish I had not abandoned the game in favor of Netrunner so long ago.

EDIT: I also have a Secrets of Arkham with the 2 copies (instead of 3), so I can help out TWO people with this one if they got the same early set. I don't know if they updated the text with any errata
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I received my PoD cards today, and, the review is pretty spot on. The cards are dull in the sense they aren't really glossed(?), so they are not quite as reflective. The artwork is also slightly less dark, but it's not like Night and Day (excuse the pun). The card stock seems a tad thinner, but again, I think it might be due to the card not having that glossy coating to make it feel more solid. I haven't gone through them all to see if the images are centered and the text is readable, but I'll take these cards over nothing at all.

You would not spot the difference whatsoever if the card was sleeved, and if the room was not brightly lit, you may not even know the difference.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Hepcat/Fishbelly/OO,

Does anyone want the extras I have from the Dreamlands re-print? It's going to miss the two or three cards that had the new errata printed and the 2 copies I was missing from the previous 1X of each card, but hey...FREE.