Building my own gaming desk

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

durfsmurf

Post by durfsmurf »

I was following some posts in Reddit about gaming desks, someone suggested I ask here.
I'd like to build my own desk but don't have a workshop. Someone on /r/battlestations suggested something called the "fitz kits console" (it won't let me link here apparently) but I was just wondering whether people here had experience with pipe desks and could make recommendtaions.
miltonite

Re: Building my own gaming desk

Post by miltonite »

What kind of desk are we talking about? Is this a PC desk or like a tabletop game desk? (although I am not sure why you would want to play tabletop games at a desk all alone)

Also I am going to ask, Are you a bot?
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looked it up. Looks like a real product, with Reddit discussion going back a couple of years.

Link

Looks like you could make some interesting (PC) gaming desks with this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
durfsmurf

Post by durfsmurf »

miltonite wrote:What kind of desk are we talking about? Is this a PC desk or like a tabletop game desk? (although I am not sure why you would want to play tabletop games at a desk all alone)

Lol I'm not a bot... although that's just what a bot would say.

And yeah I meant a pc desk, not tabletop gaming. I was just wondering if someone had an idea for easy ways to build a custom desk. I first looked at trying to piece together various Ikea parts, but the closest Ikea is like 2 hours away from me.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

durfsmurf wrote:
miltonite wrote:What kind of desk are we talking about? Is this a PC desk or like a tabletop game desk? (although I am not sure why you would want to play tabletop games at a desk all alone)

Lol I'm not a bot... although that's just what a bot would say.
Just to be sure, can you write down what word you see here?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

durfsmurf wrote:I was following some posts in Reddit about gaming desks, someone suggested I ask here.
I'd like to build my own desk but don't have a workshop. Someone on /r/battlestations suggested something called the "fitz kits console" (it won't let me link here apparently) but I was just wondering whether people here had experience with pipe desks and could make recommendtaions.
10 posts at minimum before you can link yourself. And we currently have an issue where naked links get scrubbed, so make sure to use the [URL ] button.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Klee Klamps and industrial butcher block.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Klee Klumps.

ImageImageImage
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

durfsmurf wrote:
And yeah I meant a pc desk, not tabletop gaming. I was just wondering if someone had an idea for easy ways to build a custom desk. I first looked at trying to piece together various Ikea parts, but the closest Ikea is like 2 hours away from me.
It depends what you're trying to do. I just have a flat desk for gaming but then I just have a box, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. My only customization are hooks to hang headphones and a gamepad on.

OTOH, a friend of mine uses 4 huge monitors, a touch screen, midi controllers, music keyboards, a mixing board, etc. He has a ton of those Fitz Kits things (or something similar) as well as multiple sliding drawers for the keyboards. He even has LED lights embedded all over the place so he can see the mixing controls without having to have the lights on.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If I had the money, my gaming desk would look like mission control meets the Enterprise.

As it is, my gaming desk looks like 15-year-old pressed wood desk from OfficeMax with a peeling surface and chipped corners.

The Fitz Kits do look cool, though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you use multi-monitors, this one looks pretty cool - and it costs about as much as my boring Staples wood/laminate desk.

As for the original question of making one myself, sorry I got nothing.

Edit: Oh, the desks don't come with the wood tops - you have to buy those separately. Bet that adds a fair bit to the cost.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote:If you use multi-monitors, this one looks pretty cool - and it costs about as much as my boring Staples wood/laminate desk.
It doesn't come with the wood though. Probably and extra $100 or so.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
durfsmurf

Post by durfsmurf »

stessier wrote:If you use multi-monitors, this one looks pretty cool - and it costs about as much as my boring Staples wood/laminate desk.

As for the original question of making one myself, sorry I got nothing.

Edit: Oh, the desks don't come with the wood tops - you have to buy those separately. Bet that adds a fair bit to the cost.
Ok, after looking at that listing I actually poked around Reddit more and apparently there is a subreddit for it, /r/fitzkits. It looks like the pieces of wood they say to get are around $50 total, I think. I probably won't paint or stain them at first.

I like the Kee Klamp as well (what the above posters mentioned) but it looks like it would cost like $500 for a similar amount of parts.

I was originally looking at black plumbing pipe, it's around $190 for pipe for the frame, although i'd have to also get a pipe threader and something to keep the pipe from tearing up the floor. It just seems like more hassle than I feel like dealing with. I've never installed plumbing before so I've never cut/threaded iron pipe.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm currently gaming on a folding plastic banquet table. Once we get the basement re-arranged I will also be building a PC gaming desk. Right now, I think I'll be doing a pipe desk, but out of black plastic pipe vs. metal. Heck, I may use white PVC Schedule 40 pipe since I will likely paint it anyway. The top will probably be some center island surface materials from IKEA kitchen. Alternately, I may go whole hog ordering a more expensive custom hardwood butcher block top.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I picked up an industrial workbench butcher block from Home Depot that is solid and much less expensive than "countertop" surface quality. It wasn't sealed as well, but I'm not preparing food on it.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

My computer desk is a door-sized slab of oak that I sanded and stained 20 years ago, set on two sturdy plastic sawhorses. Works great and still perfect.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

durfsmurf wrote:... I've never installed plumbing before so I've never cut/threaded iron pipe.
Having owned a drycleaners many years ago, I have cut and threaded a lot of black pipe (iron), and unless you've got a nice workshop with a solid vice, I wouldn't recommend it. Even with a good vice, the cutting is relatively straightforward, but the threading is a LOT of work. And the larger the diameter pipe, the amount of work increases exponentially. Anything over 1" diameter is going to be a beast to thread. And even a manual threader is fairly expensive. There are also power threaders, but they are very expensive, so I've never used one.

That said, if you have your measurements ready, you could probably find a plumbing shop to do all of that work for you (cutting and threading), and it wouldn't cost that much.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The nice thing about the expensive Klee Klamps is that threading is not necessary. And it's solid as hell.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 pm my gaming desk looks like 15-year-old pressed wood desk from OfficeMax with a peeling surface and chipped corners.
:ninja:
Pressed wood from Office Max? Check. 15 years old? Probably closer to 20, but check. Peeling surface? Check. Chipped corners? Every one of them.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:51 pm The Fitz Kits do look cool, though.
It looks like this website has gone out of business since this thread was created 9 years ago.

Any updated information on where to buy a nice gaming desk? I am looking for an L shape that can handle the gaming desktop with 2 monitors on one side and the work laptop with 2 more monitors on the other side. I would guess shelves for the controllers and other computer paraphernalia would be a nice upgrade instead of the portable shelf on the floor.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I replaced that monster L-shaped desk a couple of years ago. It lasted 20 years, and while the top was awful by the end, it was an inch thick, rock-solid, and weighed a ton. It easily held two gaming PCs on opposite 'wings', one with two monitors from back in the CRT days. Today I have a plain old fashioned computer desk. No monitor stand, no keyboard tray, no drawers, just legs and a flat surface, rectangular, about 2 1/2' by 4 1/2 feet. I use a clamp-on monitor arm for my two monitors (which I highly recommend for any desk these days.)

I don't remember anything about that link (nine years is a long time), but it seems to have been run by this guy. Here's an example build.

I have no idea what the good sources for desks are these days, but my impression is that if you want a good quality larger desk, you may need to get away from computer desks/office supply stores/gaming companies and look for products marketed to businesses. Cheap and visually impressive seems to be the rule these days.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
Key features
Bundle includes: 72W Narrow Desk Shell, 71W Hutch for Narrow Desk Shell, 60W Return Table, 16W Add-On Pedestal with 3 Drawers, Keyboard Tray and CPU Stand
Commercial-grade particle board work surface is compliant with TSCA Title VI and has a durable melamine finish that resists scratches, stains, and wear
1-inch thick desktop with shock resistant PVC edge detail provides a sturdy surface to work on
L-Shaped Desk surface offers space to spread out, and 2 grommets and 1 rubber strip for efficient wire management
Pedestal features 2 box drawers and 1 file drawer that accepts legal, letter, and A4-size paperwork; one lock secures bottom two drawers
Hutch has 2 large storage compartments behind 2 flip up doors and 2 large paper shelves
Keyboard tray on ¾ extension ball-bearing slides allows for utmost comfort and flexibility when working
Fully reversible unit with a finished back; assembly required (2 people recommended)
Backed by the Bestar 10 Year Manufacturer‘s Warranty; Credenza, Return Table, and Hutch meet ANSI/BIFMA quality standards for safety and performance
North American made with local and imported parts
I don't look forward to the assembly next week.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow