Gamer Motivation Survey

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Exodor

Gamer Motivation Survey

Post by Exodor »

Saw this gamer motivation survey on Qt3 and was curious how the folks on OO would fare.

My results

Enlarge Image

I guess I'm really not into storylines and character backgrounds...
Isgrimnur

Re: Gamer Motivation Survey

Post by Isgrimnur »

What if I'm not motivated to take the survey? ;)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Huh. Guess that's close but I think I'm less social in-game than they do. I just like multiplayer shooters.

EDIT: for summary: Action-Oriented, Proficient, Relaxed, Social, Deeply Immersed, and Creative
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Answered the mostly irrelevant questions only to be confronted with a login screen. :x Fail!
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not a big surprise that I'm weak on social since I mostly like single player stuff. My love of RPGs is evident in the immersion category. I was kind of surprised that Action was so high, but then again I play open world action titles as much if not more than RPGs, so I guess it makes sense.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Calm, Analytical, Driven, Independent, and Grounded

Enlarge Image

Last edited by The Meal on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Your Gaming Style : Calm, Analytical, Relaxed, Deeply Immersed, and Expressive
So yeah, I don't give a damn about challenge or achievements, I'm just in it for a good story and interesting characters/worlds. :)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote:Answered the mostly irrelevant questions only to be confronted with a login screen. :x Fail!
That's when you click on the link that lets you see your results without logging in. :x Fail on you!

P.S. I closed the window without saving, but my chart was a big vertical line (91% action, something like 68% achievement) with very little to the sides (4% social).

P.P.S. Moving to Gaming in General.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

99% action, 68% achievement, less than 10% everything else.

Basically I play for the escapism and adrenaline rush and don't want to be bogged down in anything overly difficult or deal with anyone else online.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Aggressive, Spontaneous, Relaxed, Independent, Deeply Immersed, and Creative

I really, really don't care about achievements or actually being good at the games I'm playing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Lordnine wrote:So yeah, I don't give a damn about challenge or achievements, I'm just in it for a good story and interesting characters/worlds. :)
Same here. Your Gaming Style : Calm, Spontaneous, Ambitious, Independent, and Deeply Immersed

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Your Gaming Style : Aggressive, Spontaneous, Completionist, Independent, Deeply Immersed, and Practical
Enlarge Image

Nifty.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Your Gaming Style : Aggressive, Analytical, Relaxed, Independent, Deeply Immersed, and Creative

Well, they nailed me there. I game to be someone else for a while, to go to places I can't really go, to have experiences I can't otherwise have. I couldn't care less about being competitive, getting a high score, or 'dominating' other players. Achievements? Sometimes, depending on the game, but that isn't a power/competitiveness thing for me so much as it is a completionist streak.
The Immersion Components (80%)

Gamers with high Immersion scores want games with interesting narratives, characters, and settings so they can be deeply immersed in the alternate worlds created by games. Gamers with low Immersion scores are more grounded in the gameplay mechanics and care less about the narrative experiences that games offer.

Fantasy (94%): Gamers who score high on Fantasy want their gaming experiences to allow them to become someone else, somewhere else. They enjoy the sense of being immersed in an alter ego in a believable alternate world, and enjoy exploring a game world just for the sake of exploring it. These gamers enjoy games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Mass Effect for their fully imagined alternate settings.

Story (52%): Gamers who score high on Story want games with elaborate campaign storylines and a cast of multidimensional characters with interesting back-stories and personalities. They take the time to delve into the back-stories of characters in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and enjoy the elaborate and thoughtful narratives in games like The Last of Us and BioShock. Gamers who score low on Story tend to find dialogue and quest descriptions to be distracting and skip through them if possible.
The Creativity Components (85%)

Gamers with high Creativity scores are constantly experimenting with their game worlds and tailoring them with their own designs and customizations. Gamers with low Creativity scores are more practical in their gaming style and accept their game worlds as they are.

Discovery (73%): Gamers who score high on Discovery are constantly asking “What if?” For them, game worlds are fascinating contraptions to open up and tinker with. In an MMO, they might swim out to the edge of the ocean to see what happens. In MineCraft, they might experiment with whether crafting outcomes differ by the time of day or proximity to zombies. They “play” games in the broadest sense of the word, often in ways not intended or imagined by the game’s developers.

Design (85%): Gamers who score high on this component want to actively express their individuality in the game worlds they find themselves in. In games like Mass Effect, they put a lot of time and effort in the character creation process. In city-building games or space strategy games, they take the time to design and customize exactly how their city or spaceships look. To this end, they prefer games that provide the tools and assets necessary to make this possible and easy to do.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Aggressive, Analytical, Ambitious, Independent, Grounded, and Creative

"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Unsurprised, though I think my Immersion score is a bit lower than I feel is correct.

Enlarge Image
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Enlarge Image
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

That sounds about right. I want to play with my toys, and I like figuring out how they work. And give me a good story. I hate random internet people, though, and I don't really give a crap about character/stronghold/whatever customization. I also wish there was an option for "I hate crafting systems".
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They suggest games for each sub-motivation, but it would be great if they had a database that would look at your stats and suggest games based on all of your factors. Perhaps the games could be rated in each category by users. Creativity + Immersion = Elder Scrolls, Challenge + Social + Achievement = World of Warcraft, etc.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Your Gaming Style : Calm, Spontaneous, Relaxed, Independent, and Grounded

I guess that's more or less correct. I'm not that big on social. I don't care that much about mastering a game or getting all the achievements. I like open world and action. Though apparently I'm a bit more reserved in my answers. My area is so small. :(

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote:They suggest games for each sub-motivation, but it would be great if they had a database that would look at your stats and suggest games based on all of your factors. Perhaps the games could be rated in each category by users. Creativity + Immersion = Elder Scrolls, Challenge + Social + Achievement = World of Warcraft, etc.
I wonder if that was designed so that you would have a couple of games in mind when you answer the rest of the questions. Albeit subconsciously.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

NickAragua wrote:"I hate crafting systems".
I'd buy that game.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Archinerd wrote:
I'd buy that game.
But....Minecraft!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Lordnine wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
I'd buy that game.
But....Minecraft!
I'm happy you like the game, but I personally want to punch it in the sandbox.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

As you can see, my broad range of interests and skills are accurately reflected in this chart. Except the 4% social. Have no idea where that came from, unless the margin of error is +/- 4%.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Calm, Analytical, Relaxed, Independent, Deeply Immersed, and Practical.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Lordnine wrote: So yeah, I don't give a damn about challenge or achievements, I'm just in it for a good story and interesting characters/worlds. :)
I'm basically the opposite of that :) Action-Oriented, Spontaneous, Driven, Independent, Immersed, and Practical

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

NickAragua wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
I'd buy that game.
But....Minecraft!
I'm happy you like the game, but I personally want to punch it in the sandbox.
Minecraft is different for me. That is the game.
I hate crafting when it's obviously shoe-horned into the game. I'm looking at you every single RPG made in the last decade.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i started my gaming life in the arcades, and apparently that is where i remain to this day: "play like you have just three quarters and see how high of a score you can get".
(top five games 'of all time' off the top of my head: Robotron 2084, Joust, Berzerk, Tempest, Ladybug)
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Immerse me in a pot of plot.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

i started my gaming life in the arcades, and apparently that is where i remain to this day: "play like you have just three quarters and see how high of a score you can get".
(top five games 'of all time' off the top of my head: Robotron 2084, Joust, Berzerk, Tempest, Ladybug)
I grew up in them also. Started in them at age 8 in 1978 and didn't quit until they closed in the late 90's. I played all those games but really loved Berzerk. The voice mod in it was awesome.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Enlarge Image

Sounds about right.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Part 2: Board Game Edition!

Your Board Gaming Style :
Low Conflict and Immersed

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

High Conflict, Relaxed, Grounded, and Independent

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And hear da lamentation of da women?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I can't find a way to get back to the results from when I took it last week. It was mostly strategy with some conflict and a touch of fantasy as I recall.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:And hear da lamentation of da women?
It's probably a bit over-inflated. While I never hesitate to hold forth on my hatred of competitive solitaire, the back-handed FUs that I got while being whipped as a "learning" game in Hansa Teutonica makes sure I never want to play that one again.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Low Conflict, Relaxed, Immersed, and Independent

Enlarge Image
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:I can't find a way to get back to the results from when I took it last week. It was mostly strategy with some conflict and a touch of fantasy as I recall.
It is just the preliminary survey at this point, so it isn't stored in your profile. They'll be using this data to improve the percentages and fuel the game recommendations later.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:High Conflict, Relaxed
Can anyone describe a board game using these mechanics? Is it sarcasm-based?
Maybe next year, maybe no go